Trying to move to another password manager and can't get the CSV file to work

Hi. I'm using the latest version of 1Password on my Windows PC. My subscription is up and I'd looking to switch to another manager as they're far cheaper than renewing here. However, it's painful to try to leave because of how 1Password exports the data. The only option is to use a CSV file. I've created it half a dozen times but then neither Dashlane or Lastpass can successfully read the CSV file and actually identify the usernames, passwords and URLs that it's stored.

I've spend a couple of hours trying to get it to work with no joy :(

I thought I'd be clever and try to download version 4 of 1Password and export it as a 1pif but I can't even do that as I can't open the vault in version 4!

This is so frustrating, why is it made so hard?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited July 2019

This is, unfortunately, something we have to cope with in both directions, @JeremyDEagle. We've had our share of struggles importing from other password managers as well and it all boils down to there being no standard for formatting for exports even among the most common password mangers. I, for one, wish that were different as having things as they stand means even minor changes in how a given password manager exports causes a good chunk of trouble.

One thing I will say is that 1Password 7 for Windows does make this more of a challenge than we'd like. It's something we're in the process of improving, but for now the 1Password 4 path is likely the best way forward. Here's how you can open a 1Password account vault there:

1. Move your data to a standalone vault. If you will still be using 1Password for a time, I'd skip step 3 to sign out of your account in 1Password 7, particularly if you have any shared vaults.
    2. Open that standalone copy of that vault in 1Password 4.
    3. Export.

That will get you the 1PIF format. :+1:

ref: opw/opw#3442

This discussion has been closed.