How do different iterations of 1Password interact?

elmes
elmes
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Mac

The screenshot above illustrates the first of two loosely related problems I have been having on my iMac, MacBook Pro, and iPhone. With 3 different browsers open and the desktop app installed, there are six different keyhole icons I can click to access 1Password. There is one in the Google Chrome toolbar, one in the Safari toolbar, two similar, but not identical, ones in the Firefox toolbar, one in the menu bar up top, and one in the dock at the bottom of the screen. These last two both open up the 1Password desktop app. The others (most confusingly the two non-identical icons in Firefox) all open different browser extensions. Add to all of these access points the website and now there are seven. I find this extremely confusing. But even more confusing is the fact that with all of these various versions of 1Password active at the same time, two of them (Safari extension and desktop app) can be unlocked while the other four are locked. If there was one master lock which when opened would push the password to all of the other versions, that would be easier for me to understand. But I still would not understand why there have to be so many different versions in the first place.

The second problem also has to do autolock. I have had to type my master password so so so so many times. So many times. I have disabled every auto locking feature I could find in each of the different versions of the program on my three machines. On my iMac I am asked for my master password constantly. On my MacBook Pro I am able to use Touch ID consistently. On my iPhone, Face ID worked for a while, but then stopped, and now 1Password autolocks every time. When I check the settings in each of these places, I can not find one autolock feature I have left active. I have even instructed the desktop app to never lock. Face ID is selected on the phone. This may sound silly, but my experience with this software is making me feel truly defeated. My master password is complex, as I believe it should be, and so it is a nightmare having to enter it 20, 30, 40 times per day. Also, what good is this sophisticated security software if I have to leave the autolocking mechanism completely disabled just in order to make it usable?

I know this is a long "question". But I very much want to understand and master this program, the goal of which seems increasingly vital these days.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: I don't know how to determine that
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.6, iOS 12.3.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:autolock

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hi @elmes! Welcome to the forum!

It looks like you are using a combination of the traditional browser extension and 1Password X, which is our new extension that does not require the desktop app to work. I recommend choosing just one of the extensions, and if you want to unlock the main 1Password app and have every browser extension unlocked too, you should use the regular browser extension (1Password X needs to be unlocked separately in every browser, since it does not talk to the 1Password for Mac app that is installed on your system).

If you go to your browser's extension list, I recommend removing 1Password X from there, and things should behave the way you would like them to.

This discussion has been closed.