To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

App Store vs. Stand alone and Android?

jefferis
jefferis
Community Member

Hi, my father has 1P version 6 in standalone and my mom has an android phone and he has been using WLAN as his interface. We downloaded v. 7 from the app store and found that it requires a subscription (which I have on my personal account), but it was unclear if that version can share with an android phone and if so, how.? Does the version 7 standalone still offer WLAN to android and does he need to repay for the android app?

1Password Version: 6, 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac Mojave 14.x, Android
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @jefferis,

Have you considered upgrading your 1Password Individuals account to a Families one? The reason for asking is all of the following points.

1. A 1Password Families account covers up to five members to start.
    2. Each of those family members has their own personal vault and additional vaults can easily be created and shared.
    3. Each family member is entitled to run 1Password on any supported device, that covers macOS, Windows, iOS and Android for native clients. Linux and ChromeOS can use the standalone 1Password X extension so they're not left out.
    4. Unlike standalone vaults, a 1Password Families account allows designated members to help others recover their account should they lose their secret key or forget their Master Password.

If you found the 1Password Individuals compelling I think you'll like what the 1Password Families offers for the small price increase which is cheaper than even just two 1Password Individuals accounts.

1Password 7 for Mac does still support all the same sync methods as 1Password 6 and with no recent changes in the protocols anything that was able to sync with 1Password 6 should be able to sync with 1Password 7 without fuss. It just felt like a single 1Password Families account would offer a lot more based on your description. If for whatever reason you don't want to that's okay, you won't get any hard selling from me. All I'll add is if you have any follow-up questions, regardless of whether its about the account or about standalone vaults please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

If you already have a subscription and 2 other members of your family are on standalone, it could be worth looking into a families subscription?
    That way you all get the latest apps, immediate syncing, shared and personal vaults and recovery powers, and it's only a little more expensive than the individual subscription you already have?
    You sound in the same situation I was (albeit my family didn't have standalone accounts) but converting from single to families was a no brainer and I haven't looked back.

• jefferis
    jefferis
    Community Member

The problem with subscription vaults is that my father cannot keep track of a single password, but less a large key. We don't live in the same state. What is the upgrade pricing from 6 to 7 stand alone?

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

You could either have a shared vault with his credentials in it so you would know his password or you could use the recovery powers and be able to recover his account in the worst case?

The security key only needs to be entered once per device as it is then stored locally with no need for it to be remembered.

• Hi @jefferis

@Zaka_7 has made some great points. I'd add too that the Emergency Kit is a great tool that can be printed to paper as an easy reminder of the Secret Key on the rare occasion it is needed:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If desired the Master Password can also be written in on this document once printed. If you'd like to learn more about the recovery process Zaka_7 mentioned you can read about that here:

Recover accounts for family or team members

Thanks for chiming in @Zaka_7. :)

Ben

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

@Ben :chuffed:

• Hopefully that helps @jefferis, but please let us know if you have any follow up questions.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.