Status of Desktop App Integration for 1Password X in Firefox on Mac

It's been quite a few months since Desktop App Integration for 1Password X on Mac was announced. At the time it only worked on Chrome with Firefox users being asked to "stay tuned".

That was in February (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101231/introducing-desktop-app-integration-for-mac/p1)

So my question is, is there any news on this for Firefox users on Mac now? I'm getting tired of typing in my password when I have that tempting little fingerprint reader sitting on my 'puter.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 1.15.7
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Desktop App Integration for 1Password X in Firefox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

Hi @stfs

Nothing to report yet, but it is possible to unlock the 1Password extension (desktop app required) Firefox extension using Touch ID. You may want to consider using that extension instead of 1Password X until we're able to bring this feature to 1Password X. The desktop extension can be downloaded here:

https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/

We do not typically recommend having both it and 1Password X installed/enabled in the same browser profile. While we're very excited about desktop app integration for 1Password X the team currently has a few other tasks they have to complete before they'll be able to really dig in on that.

BEn

• stfs
    stfs
    Community Member

I tried using the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension but that did not seem to integrate with web pages (displaying the icon in login fields etc). So it's either not having the icons and proper control on pages or having to type in my password all the time it seems (unless I've missed something).

At any rate, I'd really like to see the Desktop App integration for 1PX soon ;-)

• At any rate, I'd really like to see the Desktop App integration for 1PX soon ;-)

Me too! :) I love 1Password X but Touch ID is so convenient.

I tried using the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension but that did not seem to integrate with web pages (displaying the icon in login fields etc). So it's either not having the icons and proper control on pages or having to type in my password all the time it seems (unless I've missed something).

At the moment only 1Password X adds the 1Password icon to pages, but that icon isn't required in order to interact with pages. You can use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut, or click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar.

I understand it can be confusing to have two different extensions that each work a bit differently. We're discussing how to best move forward on that to help minimize the confusion.

Ben

• aswilson
    aswilson
    Community Member

IS there any update on progress? FF is my default browser.... the friction in the workflow to enter password each time 1pwX is locked is painful....

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @aswilson! There sure is. We now have a 1Password X beta for Firefox, which you can download here. Keep in mind you'll need the 1Password X beta as well as the 1Password for Mac beta. If you don't already have the 1Password for Mac beta, you can learn how to install it here. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.