Using 1PW to open websites with Safari

Options
Starflyer
Starflyer
Community Member

My Safari home page is msn.com and for some reason, it defaults to be being signed in . It that status using Mojave, I can not log on to a site by clicking on one of my 1PW entries EXCEPT if I log out of msn.com. If I'm logged out, clicking on a 1PW site seems to mostly take me directly to that site except it appears that the log-in information comes from my "key chain".

My 1PW version is 7.3.1 and my macOS is version 10.145. I do appear to have the Safari 1PW extension active.

Because of all of the above, the way I normally have my 1PW entries is to manually copy/paste the website url and my username/PW. This works, but is a bit of a PITA. Basically I'm reduced to doing the same procedures that i used with Password Pro in the '90's.

My aging memory may not be right, but I seem to remember when I switched to 1PW back in the '00s, all I had to do was click on an entry and I was automatically logged in. Wondering why this isn't true anymore.

I am a 1PW annual subscriber, using 1PW for both macOS and Windows 10.

1Password Version: 7l3l1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.145
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Starflyer

We generally recommend disabling any built-in password managers in browsers, including Safari's:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Having the browser's password manager enabled can cause conflicts with 1Password. I'd recommend starting there. Then if you are still having issues please double check that in Safari > Preferences > Extensions you see 1Password listed, the version listed matches the version of 1Password you have installed (e.g. 7.3.1), and it is checked (enabled). It should look something like this:

Because of all of the above, the way I normally have my 1PW entries is to manually copy/paste the website url and my username/PW. This works, but is a bit of a PITA. Basically I'm reduced to doing the same procedures that i used with Password Pro in the '90's.

Just to be clear: that is not necessary when things are working as designed. We'll be happy to help you get to a state where that isn't necessary.

My aging memory may not be right, but I seem to remember when I switched to 1PW back in the '00s, all I had to do was click on an entry and I was automatically logged in. Wondering why this isn't true anymore.

There are a couple different possible workflows. The more common one is to navigate to the page you want to visit using your browser and then activate 1Password (using ⌘\ or by clicking on the icon) to fill your credentials, if necessary. The other way, which is what it sounds like you're trying to do, is to activate 1Password first and then use 1Password to point the browser to the right page. Both of those options should work.

Please let me know how you make out with turning off password management in Safari and verifying the 1Password extension is enabled.

Ben

• Starflyer
    Starflyer
    Community Member
    Options

WOW, turning off the built in passwords in my Safari browser seems to have made a huge difference! Can I do the same with other browsers as well if say I want to use Opera? Right now my default browser is Safari, but sometimes I use Opera.

Re turning off passwords in my Safari, it that really deleting log-on/passwords in "keychain"?

/

• Ben
    Options

I'm glad to hear that helped. Yes, we recommend disabling the built-in password managers in any browser you're going to use 1Password in.

Re turning off passwords in my Safari, it that really deleting log-on/passwords in "keychain"?

It doesn't delete them, it just stops Safari from interacting with them. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.