Desktop and laptop: different master passwords, same saved passwords. Must it be?

shm
shm
Community Member

My wife, who is on our family account, unlocks 1Password on her desktop iMac with a different master password than the one that unlocks 1Password on her MacBook. Both copies of 1Password show the same saved passwords and each machine defaults to saving in the Private vault. We've used 1Password for a while, and at some point my wife was instructed by a 1Password dialog to make a longer Master password on the desktop, but the 1Password on the MacBook is still the prior, shorter Master Password. My wife would prefer the shorter Master Password to unlock the desktop (she's less concerned about the operational security of a shorter Master password than with the convenience of a shorter password). I tried to change the desktop Master password to the same shorter one that works on the laptop, but 1Password wouldn't enable me to change the longer password that works on the desktop to the shorter one that works on the MacBook: the dialog button on the change password dialog stayed disabled until I typed more characters into the dialog box, and I didn't go further because she didn't want the longer Master password. What options do I have? Can I move some preference file from the MacBook to the desktop and let he use the same shorter Master password on both?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: AgileBits

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

Hi @shm

Could you please check each of these installations for the presence of a vault called "Primary"? You can check in the vault switcher at the top left of the app. This vault should have been deleted as part of the migration process, but if it wasn't, we should delete it now:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices
    Once that is done both devices should unlock with the same Master Password that she uses to sign in at https://my.1password.com/

1Password now requires a Master Password length of at least 10 characters. This is the only complexity requirement enforced on Master Passwords. For tips on choosing a good password I'd recommend taking a look at this guide:

How to choose a good Master Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.