To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to add account in 1Password for iOS

This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to log in on a specific machine.

Comments

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I have the same issue. This morning I wanted to use my iOS device and somehow I don't see all items. I went to the settings and somehow my account got removed from the app. When I want to add it, it finds one but it is not accepting my Master Password.
    This just happened 20 minutes ago. I see a couple of items but these are "older" ones.

• Hi @NickRo

If you look on whichever device you currently have access to your 1Password account data on do you see a "Primary" vault in the vault switcher (top left)? If so please switch to the "Personal" (or "Private") vault instead and look for a Login item for 1Password.com. That should have the correct Master Password stored on it. Once you have that and have verified it is working we'll want to get the Primary vault deleted from every device. It is supposed to be deleted as part of the migration process.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

Hi Ben

On my phone, when I go to the settings/Vaults I only have Primary. I used to have at least two vaults.
    The primary one has been selected. The Master Password I'm using is 100% correct since I use it at least 10 time a day to unlock the browser extension.
    It looks like I am locked out of the iOS app which is connected to the xxxxx.1password.com. When I try to (re)add it, it won't take my Master Password.

• @NickRo

Thanks for the update. I understand that is the situation on the iOS device. Do you have 1Password installed anywhere else? It sounds like the difficulty is that the Primary vault was not deleted when you migrated, which left you with two different Master Passwords: one for the Primary vault, and one for 1Password.com. The one for the Primary vault is what is unlocking the 1Password app on any installations where the Primary vault exists. But the one for 1Password.com is the one we need. If you have access to your account from another device you can likely find that password saved on a Login item for 1Password.com.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I now closed the app on the phone and whenever I try to open it, it crashes. But for the second I'm able to see the Favorites screen, I see the missing items to be back. Something is a bit strange.

• @NickRo

It looks like we both replied to this thread at the same time. Please see my reply above.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I have 1Password installed on a Mac as well. I'm not sure about the Primary vault since I used the vaults and sync process I had for over a year now. I also don't think I'll be able to remember my "old" Master password. But again, I remember my current password for 1Password.com the app wasn't accepting it by trying to add the account.
    All of a sudden, the app keeps crashing now so I can't do anything.

• @NickRo

Please open and unlock 1Password for Mac and then open the vault switcher (upper left):

Do you see a vault named "Primary" there? Please let me know. Either way please switch to the "Personal" (or "Private") vault and look in the Logins category. You should find an item for 1Password.com that has the Master Password you need saved on it. Armed with that you can uninstall & reinstall 1Password for iOS, and sign into your account from the welcome screen:

1Password for iOS on the App Store

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I'm on an iOS device at the moment not the Mac.
    I restarted my phone and closed the app but it keeps crashing on me.

• Please try this when you have the Mac available to you.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

It won't be until the end of the day which leaves me now with no logins no access to anything.
    I just wonder what happened on the backend that logged me out of the 1password account and why the app is crashing now and why it didn't accept my correct master password for 1password.

• It won't be until the end of the day which leaves me now with no logins no access to anything.

Until you're able to look up the correct Master Password for your 1Password.com account there really isn't anything further that I'd be able to suggest here.

I just wonder what happened on the backend that logged me out of the 1password account and why the app is crashing now

We can certainly investigate that, and I think it may be worth while to do so, but that isn't a quick process and frankly regardless of what the answer might be that doesn't help you move forward. While I'd definitely like to have our development team look into that my primary goal at this point is to get things working as expected for you.

So that we can look into what might've lead to the current situation I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device. Please copy and paste this text into the address bar in Safari (as if it were a webpage you wanted to visit):

onepassword://diagnostics

This should open up a mail message with a diagnostic report attached. Please change the 'to' line to: support+forum@agilebits.com. Additionally in the email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/105784/unable-to-add-account-in-1password-for-ios#latest
    • Your forum username: NickRo

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics.

why it didn't accept my correct master password for 1password.

I tried to explain above but I may have done a poor job of it. My apologies if I wasn't clear. You have two Master Passwords: one that is for the Primary vault, and one that is for 1Password.com. You need the latter (the one for 1Password.com), but it sounds like you only know the former (the one for the Primary vault). You need to get the one for 1Password.com before we can go any further.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I tried to explain above but I may have done a poor job of it. My apologies if I wasn't clear. You have two Master Passwords: one that is for the Primary vault, and one that is for 1Password.com. You need the latter (the one for 1Password.com), but it sounds like you only know the former (the one for the Primary vault). You need to get the one for 1Password.com before we can go any further.

Again, the master password I know is for 1Password.com. I'm on a team/family account with two vaults I'm using and the login/account address is example.1password.com. This is what I used to setup my app on the phone. Two Master passwords would just confuse the heck out of me.

I'll go ahead and send the report.

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I tried to run diagnostics but it wants to open the mail message within the app, which keeps crashing.

• Again, the master password I know is for 1Password.com.

That does not seem to be the case. If you do know the Master Password for 1Password.com you'll be able to log in using it at https://start.1password.com/
    If you cannot then you do not have the right Master Password for 1Password.com.

Two Master passwords would just confuse the heck out of me.

Agreed; that appear to be what is happening. :) The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in (this is the situation you're in)
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in and no Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

That does not seem to be the case. If you do know the Master Password for 1Password.com you'll be able to log in using it at https://start.1password.com/ If you cannot then you do not have the right Master Password for 1Password.com.

I cannot because I don't have the secret key with me.
    I also have only one family membership. I have been told that once I use the myfam.1password.com subscription, it is the same password on the web and on the phone.

• I cannot because I don't have the secret key with me.

I see. You'll be able to get that from the 1Password for Mac app in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts > [Your Account] > Secret Key > Reveal.
    Alternatively: is anyone else on this membership that is designated as a Family Organizer? If so they may be able to help you go through the account recovery process, which would give you a new Secret Key and Master Password:

Recover accounts for family or team members

I also have only one family membership. I have been told that once I use the myfam.1password.com subscription, it is the same password on the web and on the phone.

That is true, once you've eliminated the Primary vault.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

That is true, once you've eliminated the Primary vault.

I'm sorry to go back and forth but I haven't used primary. I only have two vaults in my online family account which I'm using, one called personal and one business. These two vaults are not any longer on my phone since my account has been disconnected from the app for some mystic reasons. And I only have one password which is my master password for online, the iOS app, Mac App and extension. I don't know anything about the primary vault. I received a new phone last year, installed 1password to it and connected it to my myfam.1password.com account. Thats it.
    But well, I guess I can't really do anything until I'm home.

What would you recommend in this situation for the future in case the app loggs me out again? If this would happen during a client visit, that would be even a bigger pain having no access to all the needed details.

• @NickRo

Earlier you said:

On my phone, when I go to the settings/Vaults I only have Primary.

Whether you are using it or not isn't a factor. The fact that it is there is what is messing us up.

And I only have one password which is my master password for online, the iOS app, Mac App and extension.

I'm sorry to be argumentative but this doesn't line up with what you've told us previously. If you have a Primary vault, which you said you do, then you have two Master Passwords.

What would you recommend in this situation for the future in case the app loggs me out again? If this would happen during a client visit, that would be even a bigger pain having no access to all the needed details.

I can't say I've ever heard of this happening before, and so I wouldn't expect for it to be an occurrence that repeats, but if it would help put your mind at ease I'd recommend keeping a copy of your Emergency Kit in a convenient location:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

To get the best balance of accessibility and security I would recommend not writing your Master Password on the kit, but that would be your prerogative.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

I'm sorry to be argumentative but this doesn't line up with what you've told us previously. If you have a Primary vault, which you said you do, then you have two Master Passwords.

Don't worry about argumentative, all good. I'm the same trying to explain I only use one account which I stated was the one online. No other account.
    Now what your app is doing, I have no idea. I simply download the app from the appstore and add my online account to it. Thats it. Whatever happens after that is out of my scope since the app is doing the other stuff.
    When I got logged out of the app today, for whatever reasons since nothing has been changed in terms of my credentials or anything else, the only vault shown was a vault called Primary. A vault I haven't created or whatever since, again, I downloaded the app and connected it to myfam.1password.com account.

Anyways, I was able to get the secret key and here is a screenshot of my vaults online:

That is all I had.
    Now, should I delete the app, reinstall and connect it to my online account myfam.1password.com? Since it keeps constantly crashing on me - iOS app latest version and iOS updated to the latest as well.

• Anyways, I was able to get the secret key and here is a screenshot of my vaults online:

Excellent! That's great progress.

Now, should I delete the app, reinstall and connect it to my online account myfam.1password.com? Since it keeps constantly crashing on me - iOS app latest version and iOS updated to the latest as well.

Yes, if you've already sent the diagnostic report, or would prefer to forgo doing that, you can proceed with these steps. I would also recommend double checking the Mac when you get to it to be sure there isn't also a Primary vault there. If there is you'll want to delete that.

Ben

• NickRo
    NickRo
    Community Member

Yes, if you've already sent the diagnostic report

I can't do so since the app is crashing on me ;)
    Thanks for the help Ben, much appreciated!

• I can't do so since the app is crashing on me ;)

I was hoping it would allow you to get that far before it crashed. Darn. :(

Thanks for the help Ben, much appreciated!

You're very welcome!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.