Trouble filling after upgrade to 1Password 7 [all browsers]

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Trouble filling in browser.

Comments

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

I just upgraded from v6 to v7
    It will no longer autofill my User ID and PW.
    How do I fix this?
    On Mac OS v10.13.6
    Using Chrome, FireFox and Safari this is happening in all 3 browsers.
    Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dks

In Safari please make sure that under Safari > Preferences > Extensions you see 1Password v7.3.1 listed and checked (enabled). If you see a different version please uninstall that and the restart Safari.

For Chrome and Firefox could you please let me know which version of the 1Password extension you have installed? You can find the latest here:

Download for Mac

(be sure to select the 'desktop app required' option rather than 1Password X)

Please let me know what you find. Thanks.

Ben

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome extension v 4.7.5.90
    Safari is installed correctly, v7.3.1 and enabled
    I re-installed all extensions to see if this would make a difference.
    It will not autofill like version 6 did.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dks: Thanks for clarifying. Did you purchase a license for 1Password for Mac version 7, or do you have a 1Password membership?

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    I have been a 1PW user for many years and have a purchased license that worked find until i just installed v7.
    I do not have a membership. I deleted my account.
    I do not want a membership.
    I keep my passwords stored locally.
    I just went to try to purchase a license for v7, and it is asking me to log-in to my 1PW account.
    So, I enter the info for my deleted account and it tells me that I cannot log-in because my account was deleted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dks: Gotcha. Without a 1Password membership (which includes all the apps and updates), you wouldn't have needed to have purchased a license for version 7 within the last year or so. Without a valid license or membership, the app is in "read-only" mode, so filling would not work. As far as when you "try to purchase", could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

[removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]

Here is the screenshot.
    So how do I get back to version 6 so that I have autofill.

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

Can I just pay for v7 still, but I don't want a monthly membership and I dont want to use the membership.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

@dks:

Can I just pay for v7 still, but I don't want a monthly membership and I dont want to use the membership.

Absolutely, you can download 1Password 7 from our website and install it. When you launch it, you will see the option to purchase a license.

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

Please read carefully, your response is not addressing the issue that was discussed earlier. I will use bold text below to better assist you.
    I have been a 1PW user for many years and have a purchased license that worked find until i just installed v7.
    I do not have a membership. I deleted my account.
    I do not want a membership.
    I keep my passwords stored locally.
    I just went to try to purchase a license for v7, and it is asking me to log-in to my 1PW account.
    So, I enter the info for my deleted account, ****your website and software it tells me that I cannot log-in because my account was deleted****.
    Now 1 Password will not let me open the program locally on my computer. I enter the main password as I always have and the compute just beeps and I get know error message.
    I have restarted my computer and that does not fix the problem. I do not have All Caps on either.
    Please help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @dks,

I fear trying to tell 1Password 7 about the deleted account may have got it stuck in some sort of weird state. We'll be more than happy to help you move to 1Password 7 with a licence if that is what you like to do but first I'd like to get 1Password 6 working again for you so that you have access to your vault(s) and we take a little of the pressure away while we troubleshoot.

1. Launch 1Password 7 so that it is the active application.
    2. Hold down the alt/option key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    3. Drag the 1Password 7 application bundle from the /Applications/ folder to the Trash.
    4. Download and install 1Password 6.
    5. Launch 1Password 6.

You should be presented with the normal unlock screen and everything should be exactly as you left it. You will need to restart any browsers for them to understand 1Password 6 is present and for Safari you will need the 1Password Safari Extension from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery.

Once we know you can properly access everything then we can work on setting up 1Password 7. Of course you may decide that you want to return to 1Password 6 and that is an option available to you. 1Password 6 is no longer receiving updates though and we do anticipate that Safari 13, likely to be released in the fall at the same time as macOS Catalina will not support the older Safari Extension Gallery and will require Safari App Extension compatible applications. The first version of 1Password 7 to support Safari App Extension was 1Password 7.2 for Mac. Anybody updating to Safari 13 will find 1Password 6 will longer be able to work with Safari.

Let us know what you'd like to do and we'll put together some steps to help 1Password 7 start over and migrate your data once more before allowing you to purchase a licence if a 1Password account isn't for you.

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

I am sorry, but I cannot get past Step 3.
    I cannot drag v7 to the trash because I keep getting this error: "The item “1Password 7.app” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open."
    It is not open, I have quit all apps, re-stared my computer and made sure that 1P and none of my browsers are listed as a start up item. All start up items are disabled.
    I have checked the force quite menu and there is noting open that uses 1P.
    I have re-stared in Safe Boot mode with the Shift key and I still get the same error.
    Thank you for your help, I did not expect v7 to offer so many problems.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @dks,

That's really odd if only because 1Password shouldn't be running at all in Safe Mode.

If you search in the Activity Monitor application for processes starting with even the text 1Pass what does it show is running? I'm guessing given your familiarity with safe mode and force quit that the Activity Monitor application is something you're already aware of.

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password Helper Extension is active in the Activity Monitor.
    Not sure how to make that quit.... any ideas?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @dks,

It's very odd that the step about quitting 1Password completely didn't see that process killed.

Can you try launching 1Password once more so the unlock screen is present and seeing if the process survives the quit completely step again. Force quitting it from the Activity Monitor will only see it respawn so it looks like we do need 1Password to tell it to shut down.

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

I regret that I cannot open my local 1PW app any more, because when I open it, I am greeted by a splash screen that only gives me the option to sign in to my 1PW account, (which I cannot do because I deleted my account), or to buy a license.

• Ben
    Options

@dks

Let's take a step back, as I think there may be some confusion. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. You cannot use 1Password 7 with a 1Password 6 license. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

Licenses can be purchased within the 1Password 7 for Mac app (when downloaded from our website) if you opt to go that route. They are regularly $65 USD + tax but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time.

Does that help?

Ben

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ben,

I can buy the 1Pw app v7 and I do not have to pay a monthly subscription fee?
    This will allow me to use v7 locally with my phone, laptop and desktop like I have been doing with v6?

• Ben
    Options

You can, yes. From the welcome screen, at the bottom, select the "need a license? We have those too" option.

Licenses can be purchased within the 1Password 7 for Mac app (when downloaded from our website) if you opt to go that route. They are regularly $65 USD + tax but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time.

Ben

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

How do I get the splash screen with "need a license" to appear on my MacMini?
    When I open 1 Password on the MacMini and I check for updates, 1Pw says that I am running the most recent version, Which is version 6.
    The splash screen was visible on my MacBook and I now have installed v7 on my MacBook, but want my MacMini to be running the same version so there are no conflicts.

• Ben
    Options

You have to buy the license from within the 1Password 7 app. If you don't have that version installed you'd need to do that first:

Download for Mac | 1Password

To be clear though, you don't need a license for each Mac. One 1Password 7 for Mac license will cover all of your Macs. Once you've purchased a license you can double click on the resulting file to apply it on any of your Macs.

Ben

• dks
    dks
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ben,
    1Password v7 was finally working fine on my MacMini after I purchased this new version.
    However, today after starting up my computer the "Fill" button disappeared. So, I have to copy and paste each User ID and PW.
    After doing this a few times, I got the splash screen that gives me the option to sign in to my 1PW account, (which I cannot do because I deleted my account), or to buy a license.
    When I click either option, I get this 1Pw Error message.
    "Please contact your account administrator for more information."
    Please assist.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dks - at this point, to get a better idea of what's going on with your setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#JLI-79175-623]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @dks only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: JLI-79175-623

This discussion has been closed.