Filtering and autofilling in HTTP auth dialogs in firefox?

Sometimes I encounter dialogs like this when using firefox, which ask me to authenticate via the http auth standard (url redacted as it's internal):

I have the standard 1password extension installed in firefox, not 1passwordX. However when I hit the keyboard shortcut, 1password shows up but doesn't filter the results based on which site I'm looking at, and it doesn't give me the option to autofill.

Would it be possible for 1password to apply the initial filter the way it does for websites that use html forms? And additionally, would it be possible for 1password to autofill these dialogs in firefox?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (Firefox)
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kayarelle,

Currently only the 1Password X extension can interact with basic auth dialogs and it can only do so when using open-and-fill. If memory serves me correctly part of the issue here is when the basic auth dialog is on screen all the normal checks to determine what the active tab are don't work and for a variety of reasons filtering on the active tab is the only sensible move. The dialog is also not part of the tab and normal filling requires that something is loaded so we can inject a script into the document; as the basic auth prompt has to be passed before anything loads all of our normal filling techniques can't work.

As you have a 1Password account you could give 1Password X a try and see what you think. At the moment it doesn't integrate with either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows if present but that is something we're working on. So in the future 1Password X won't need to be unlocked or locked independently from 1Password for Mac/Windows. It may be though that you find the inline menu in 1Password X and the ability to bypass the need for the basic auth prompt (by taking care of it in the background) are worth the extra unlock.

• kayarelle
    kayarelle
    Community Member

Gotcha, thank you for the info! I appreciate the response. I've tried 1PasswordX and prefer the main extension since it lets me use touch ID to unlock, but if this becomes a big enough hassle I'll try that again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you are welcome @kayarelle!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.