Can you help me with family setup?

cdkmek
cdkmek
Community Member

Moved Amazon from personal to shared. Checked all devices 2 mac's, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and the same log-in information appears the same in all. Cannot log in with iPads.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:help

Comments

• Hi @cdkmek

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. If you copy & paste the login information from 1Password for iOS on the iPads into the Amazon app / website are you able to log in?

Ben

• cdkmek
    cdkmek
    Community Member

Don’t use Amazon app, use website. When I’m in password generator and tap “reveal password” it show’s me this nice 22 character password I chose last week. The same password show’s in all devices. When I go to amazon website without going through 1password and enter my old password it takes it and I’m in. Why and How is this possible?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

@cdkmek

It sounds as though you generated a new password for Amazon in 1Password, but didn't actually change your password with Amazon. Generating a password in 1Password doesn't change the password needed to login to a site — it just provides you with a password you can do so with. To use that generated password to log in to your Amazon account you'd need to go to Amazon's website, log in with the existing password, navigate to their change password form, and then change the password to the one you generated.

We have a guide explaining this that may help, here:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• cdkmek
    cdkmek
    Community Member

Ben, you’ve been a big help and answered all my questions thoroughly. 1password offers good support with how things are done whether it be documentation or support from representatives like you. Where I struggle is understanding the Why and putting it all together. For instance figuring out why there’s a separate password generator from my one password account and what’s the purpose and relationship of both. Is there documentation that addresses this and other things that would help me put it all together. My understanding is the password generator mainly generates passwords and stores them on my device. The purpose of one password account and transferring these generated passwords to it is partly to have it stored in the cloud and for backup purposes ??? Thanks for all your help Ben

• cdkmek
    cdkmek
    Community Member

In 1password documentation “Migrate your data on your main device”, it says pick one computer device that has your 1password data. Why, do I have to do everything from the same device, thought all my devices were connected and all were capable of doing this. What do you mean by “Main Device”?

• cdkmek
    cdkmek
    Community Member

Regarding “sign in and migrate your data”. When I sign into 1password through safari it says “choose an account” and my family account is the only one that appears. When I enter my family account it shows both personal and shared vaults. Your documentation “Add this Account to 1Password” puzzles me. Since I already signed into 1password account through Safari why is documentation saying “Would you like to add this account to 1password for Mac” what is meant by this, I’m confused

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cdkmek,

I'm not Ben but I'm going to try help as he might do and we'll see how I fare :smile:

I don't know if it will work for everybody but I think the best way to look at 1Password is as an assistant. It can't do everything completely by itself but it tries to give you the tools to make your online presence as safe as possible.

The problem everybody faces at the moment is we have lots of accounts that we access online. We need tough to guess passwords and if you use the same password in multiple places then if one site is compromised you may find your other accounts at risk through what they call credential stuffing i.e. you take stolen credentials from site A and try them in lots of other places and see what works. So each site really needs a tough password and for the best protection you won't use that password anywhere else. The human brain is truly humbling but unique and complex passwords for dozens or maybe hundreds of sites? that isn't one of its strengths.

A password manage like 1Password allows you to keep a record of passwords and usernames so you no longer need to remember them. As the best passwords are complex and long e.g. c)]5#[w6)*)-B%Nq:dRA70]JN6%30( you want your password manager to help fill the sign-in form - I don't want to think how many attempts it would take me to get that password right without typos. One of the final core tasks 1Password tries to help with is the creation of those passwords. That truly humbling human brain? it isn't very good at being completely random. Computers technically aren't either but using maths they can approximate random much, much better than we can, seriously, we're rubbish at being random.

Let's say you have an account with Amazon, one you haven't told 1Password about. So you already have account credentials i.e. your email address and Amazon password but they're only in your head. You visit the Amazon sign-in page and you sign into your account as you did before 1Password. The extension detects what it believes are credentials and offers to save. With that new Login item you should be able to sign in and out and get 1Password to fill for you. Now all 1Password has at the moment though is whatever password you were using and if it was a password you created then it won't be very strong. I mean no offence, before any of first started using a password manager our passwords weren't very strong. The password generator in 1Password is so you can visit each site and go through whatever change password process they have and when it comes time to select that new password you let 1Password generate something like c)]5#[w6)*)-B%Nq:dRA70]JN6%30(. As 1Password will help you sign in you don't need to worry about remembering or typing something that insane.

I hope that addresses the question you had about the password generator, if I've misunderstood please do correct me.

Your other question was about being prompted to add an account. In the past we didn't have 1Password accounts. People purchased a licence and their vault was stored on their computer. If somebody has been using 1Password for more than about three years it means they will have data in this way. After introducing 1Password accounts it meant there were two distinct scenarios we had to consider. Either it was somebody brand new to 1Password and they had never used the likes of 1Password for Mac before or it was somebody who had used 1Password before and that means we need a way to help the user move their vaults from the old way to the new way.

So let's say you used 1Password before; you have a standalone vault and you have our extension installed in your preferred browser. Just like how the extension tries to detect when you sign into a new account and passes the details to 1Password for Mac i.e the autosave prompt, if the extension sees you sign into a 1Password account it passes the details to 1Password for Mac to ask the question, do you know about this 1Password account the user just signed into? If the answer is no, 1Password for Mac hasn't seen this account before it displays the little prompt asking if you would like to add this account to this copy of 1Password for Mac. It's trying to help minimise the transition by prompting when it thinks is right.

We also know from previous attempts that the best way to help the user is to automate as much as possible in the migration. Having a 1Password account isn't all that useful if your data is still in a standalone vault. So 1Password is designed to identify when it should offer to move stuff. Let's say you have an iMac and you have a copy of 1Password for Mac with all your data. You've used 1Password for a long time now so the data is in a standalone vault. You've created a new 1Password account and when prompted you allowed 1Password for Mac to connect to this new account. It sees an empty Personal vault, something all new 1Password accounts come with and it has data in a standalone vault. What we've been working on perfecting is to take all of that data, move it to its new place (your new Personal vault) then remove the now redundant standalone vault.

Now some people set up 1Password in very specific ways. They might spread their data over several vaults and maybe one copy of 1Password for iOS knows about two vaults, another iOS device knows about one and then one copy of 1Password for Mac knows about all of them. To make the migration as easy as possible that user would want to pick the copy of 1Password for Mac. If they choose that device all their data gets migrated using the migration wizard, no extra work for the user. If you only have a Primary vault, the special name always assigned to the first standalone vault then you might have three devices and they all contain the same data - they're all exact copies. Technically you can pick any of those devices. Personally I would recommend using a copy of 1Password for Mac - I love 1Password for iOS but most things are just a little easier on a Mac between the proper keyboard, trackpad and macOS being designed with a much bigger screen in mind. A user could migrate using 1Password for iOS as well though.

I don't know if any of that helped but I hope it did. If it wasn't helpful though please do say and if you feel I've misunderstood what you were asking please do correct me and either myself or maybe Ben will certainly reply until you're confident about what is being asked of you and what you need to do.

• cdkmek
    cdkmek
    Community Member

Thank you for the detailed response.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

If it was helpful then I'm happy :smile:

This discussion has been closed.