Newly generated password not being saved.

I am a brand new user, running Windows 10 and 1Password 4.7.5.90. The 1Password extension has been added to Chrome, and in my initial product learning I am able to have 1Password save my current logon and password for a particular site when I log in.

However, when I log back in to the site using the saved information, and then try to have 1Password generate a more secure password, I run into problems. The product does create a new strong password which I copy into the appropriate fields (new password/confirm new password), and then Save in the web site. But I am not given the option to save the newly generated password within 1Password itself. What I am left with is the new strong password on the web site, but my old password is still in 1Password. Which is bad news. Is there an option somewhere that I may be missing? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, which I feel is quite likely.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Frodo2500,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! Using a new software is always a little confusing, so we are always happy to help. :)

First of all, please check out this guide on how you can change your existing passwords and make them stronger. Let me know how it works for you.

Secondly, I would like to tell you what happens when you generate a new password in a password generator of 1Password extension. When you do it, your new password is automatically saved as an item in the Passwords category of your vault. It works as a backup plan, if you happen not to save a Login item you generated a password for. If you can't find a generated password, then Passwords category is the first thing to check.

Feel free to raise any other questions, that is what our forum is for. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Frodo2500
    Frodo2500
    Community Member

Thanks Greg. I had previously been following the guide you referenced. My problem still is that after Step 3.1 (Save the Changes), and I save the newly generated password on the website, I do not get the '1Password - Save Login' screen. So I'm unable to 'Click Update' as is referenced in the guide, and I end up with my old password not being changed, except on the website.

I am able to pull up the new password in my vault, and following the process outlined in another guide 'you used the password generator on a website but your new password wasn't saved' I pasted it into the login item. But that is a bit of a pain - it just seems like the basic functionality of offering me the option to save a newly generated password isn't happening for me. Any idea why?

Thanks!

• Autosave relies on certain things being as expected, @Frodo2500. Most of the time, they are, so this works pretty smoothly, but strangely designed forms or just differently designed forms can spell trouble for autosave. That said, these aren't common at all so there are two possibilities here. First, you may have just got unlucky and found an uncooperative site to try first. Alternatively, something may be genuinely wrong. Given you're able to fill, I think the former is more likely, so my first suggestion would be to try another site and see if it works as expected. If it does, we'd love to know what site gave you trouble so we can try to fix it up. :+1:

• Frodo2500
    Frodo2500
    Community Member

bundtkate, following your advice, I've been able to successfully save a generated password on 4 other sites. As you surmised I got unlucky with my first try. The problematic site was: https://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/. Thank you again for the suggestion.

On a completely unrelated topic, I will be looking to use this product on my iPad. Am I correct in that I need to use either Dropbox or iCloud in order for the iPad and my PC to share the newly generated passwords?

Thanks!

• bundtkate
    edited July 2019

The answer there depends on how you're using 1Password, @Frodo2500. If you have a 1Password membership (you'll have a Secret Key, if you do), then we handle sync for you and you don't need Dropbox. Just set up your iOS app and you're set. This is the path most of our customers take, but if you purchased a standalone license instead, let me know and I can help you with Dropbox. :+1:

Thanks as well for sharing the offending website on the autosave front – I'll be sure to pass it along to our extensions team for investigation.

• Frodo2500
    Frodo2500
    Community Member

Thanks. I do have a membership, and the iPad is picking up the newly generated passwords on the PC. I appreciate your help!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Frodo2500: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :)

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.