Multiple Master Password Request After Restart

Luke240
Luke240
Community Member
edited December 2018 in iOS

Using 7.2.3 anytime I restart if I go directly to using auto fill I’m constantly asked for my master password. But if I open the app and enter the master password then I can use Face ID.

1Password Version: 7.2.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.1.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Luke240

This is working as designed at the moment. Our Password AutoFill extension does not allow usage of Face ID or Touch ID until after you've entered the Master Password into the main app, after doing so you should be able to continue using Face ID or Touch ID in the extension.

It's possible this may change in the future but I can make no promises at this time.

• CashMc
    CashMc
    Community Member

I'm also encountering this and its highly annoying

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You need to know your Master Password. That's needed to decrypt the data.

• toph
    toph
    Community Member

This behavior is so frustrating — having to open 1Password after a device restart to enter your master password has become the bane of my existence over the past few months.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@toph - maybe restart less frequently, if possible? That's not meant to sound flippant, it's a serious suggestion, because there's literally no way to avoid having to enter your Master Password at certain times. As brenty says, it's required to decrypt the data. Your face or fingerprint (depending on device) is merely a way to facilitate that, not a replacement for it.

• linux535
    linux535
    Community Member

I understand why some could be annoyed by this behavior but it is simply a security measure.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @linux535! More or less, yes. I agree, it's not the most convenient thing to have to do, but there's really no easy way around it. The easy thing to do would be to leave all one's passwords in an unencrypted Excel spreadsheet or FileMaker database. But that wouldn't be very secure. Practicing good security isn't effortless, but it's most certainly worth the effort. And we do what we can to make the experience as helpful and frictionless as we can. Thanks for your comment! :)

• cbv
    cbv
    Community Member

As a suggestion, perhaps a push notification post reboot could direct the user to enter their master password in-app, thereby preempting an entry via auto-fill? Uncertain if feasible from suspended state?

Alternatively, the auto-fill extension could redirect to main app via universal links if db is encrypted instead of prompting entry of master pass?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The default has changed over time, but that won't impact existing installations, only new ones. It isn't possible for 1Password to prompt to open it when it isn't already running. :)

This discussion has been closed.