What to do on older Macs?

tamper
tamper
Community Member

I have an older mac that can't be upgraded to run 1Password 7. All my other devices except this old iMac are running 1Password 7. What's the best workaround on my older iMac?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tamper: What version of macOS are you using there?

• tamper
    tamper
    Community Member

System 10.10.5 (14F2511)

I have 1Password6 running on this old iMac, but it seems orphaned at this point, since my other machines all sync to 1Password.com.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tamper: Thanks! 1Password for Mac version 6 is discontinued. And we can't really recommend using an outdated OS or browser, and using an old version of 1Password as well isn't a good strategy long-term as things will likely break as browsers change and you (hopefully) update them.

That said, I'm not aware of any serious limitations currently with using 1Password 6 in that environment, and you can sign into your account there as well. It won't support new features going forward, but it works. I can't guarantee that it will indefinitely though, as the 1Password service will continue to evolve, but the larger concern would be using an OS without important security fixes online, even if 1Password won't be an issue itself.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@tamper, I'm in a similar situation as I have 1PwdM6.8.9 on my iMac running El Capitan, and 1PwdM7.3.1 on my MacBook Air running High Sierra. I have 1PwdiOS7.3.4 on an iPhone 6 running iOS 12.4. I sync the iPhone to 1PWd on the iMac (it is my PRIMARY Mac) then later sync the iPhone to 1Pwd on the the MBA. I have not had either version of 1PwdM throw a hissy-fit yet.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@romad: Thanks for chiming in! Indeed, while we're aware of some compatibility issues with 1Password 6 being out of date and not having support for newer OS and browser versions, it still functions the way it always has otherwise. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.