Mixing 1Password X with (Licensed) 1Password 7 for Mac/PC on License

hi there,

We're a family with two PCs and 1 Mac (and various iOS devices), using 1Password on License + Dropbox. We want to keep it that way. I insist on this, because I know you guys really stress the awesomeness of 1password.com and its various use cases, but we're good.
We share a few Vaults using native sharing from Dropbox -- and yes, I know that's not anything where 1PW takes any responsibilities since, as with anything Dropbox, this is under Dropbox's control. We're also good with this. Let's call the three vaults we are using VaultA, B, and C

Enter ... a new Chromebook -- or at least, I want to get a new Chromebook. I understand the Chromebook can only be using 1password X, which itself requires a membership. I can't tell you how much this makes me sad, because I really, really do not want to move to 1Password.com. And yes, I also realize that as a family, this would actually be a cheaper outcome than if I add up the cost of all our licences and paid iOS apps. And yet, I really want to stay with Dropbox (I'll spare you the long expose into my thinking as to why this is very important for my family's system)

Now, I could change my mind (or rather, accept reality) and that Chromebook on 1Password X be on its own membership, because the vault the Chromebook would use -- VaultA, is a 'minor' vault in our system. But the other devices in the mix - Running 1pass 7 on Dropbox, still want access to VaultA ... So here's my question: Can a 1Password.com user share a vault with a Dropbox-based 1Password user?

If this is not possible, I just won't buy the Chromebook.

Thank you for your feedback

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hi @generic!

Now, I could change my mind (or rather, accept reality) and that Chromebook on 1Password X be on its own membership, because the vault the Chromebook would use -- VaultA, is a 'minor' vault in our system. But the other devices in the mix - Running 1pass 7 on Dropbox, still want access to VaultA ... So here's my question: Can a 1Password.com user share a vault with a Dropbox-based 1Password user?

Yes. If all your data is in Dropbox, you can also add a 1Password account to the app, just to access your vault stored on 1Password.com ;) So you would have all your vaults in the app as usual, plus a 1Password account added to the app, giving you access to VaultA after it has been imported to 1Password.com.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Just to clarify something I might have had to add to my previous post: while your other devices can access both standalone vaults and vaults on 1Password.com, your Chromebook would only be able to access vault A, as 1Password X only works with vaults stored on 1Password.com. If VaultB and VaultC remain stored on Dropbox, the Chromebook will not see them.

• generic
    generic
    Community Member

Thank you very much for this, Ag_ana (and the clarification)
    This works for me -- The Chromebook only needs VaultA -- VaultB and VaultC would remain Dropbox vaults that other family members need (along with VaultA), but the user with the Chromebook only needs A

Does having a 1Password account added to a 1Password 7 machine (Mac/PC) mean the 1Pass 7 user need to buy a seat in 1Password.com?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@generic:

Does having a 1Password account added to a 1Password 7 machine (Mac/PC) mean the 1Pass 7 user need to buy a seat in 1Password.com?

Yes, but there is an alternative: if you create a 1Password Families account instead, you can invite up to 5 users to your account so they don't have to subscribe separately (and depending on what type of permissions you want to give them to VaultA, you could even invite them as guests too, so you can invite some more :) ).

• generic
    generic
    Community Member

Thank you, ag_ana, for your quick response.
    I won't be adding the cost of a family membership in 1Password on top of all the cash we're forking for the various licenses.
    We'll just add a PC to the mix and keep our self-hosted vaults.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's not something I'd make my family do, especially when there's a better option, but it's up to you. If you change your mind and want to make the transition to 1Password Families though, shoot me an email at support@1password.com so I can help. It's made my families use of 1Password much more enjoyable -- and, by extension, made my life easier, not having to configure all of the Dropbox vaults to sync on each device. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.