Windows desktop client lags on syncing

Hi,

I have a family account, and use it across iOS, macOS, and Win10 devices.

I've noticed that updates to logins made on iOS and macOS sync to those devices quickly - nearly instantly. Windows seems to lag noticeably. This isn't minutes, but days, weeks, etc.

Example today - I had added an OTP to a login through either iOS, or macOS (can't remember which), but at least a week or two back, maybe longer. On my Win10 machine trying to log in the OTP isn't there. This is a fresh boot of the machine today, so 1Password is freshly opened, but, not the first time I've used it since boot today. Also, not the first time I've used it since updating this login.

I run into this pretty frequently, and have tried the usual things of restarting 1Password, but generally just fall back to using the web UI view, which is always synced.

Obviously, doesn't help much.

The macOS machines are latest Mojave, and iPhoneX and XS with latest versions.

Thanks,

Alex

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Win 10 (fully updated)
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alexwasserman and welcome to our forums! I'm sorry for the trouble—1Password 7 for Windows should be as adept at syncing changes from your 1Password account as its Mac and iOS counterparts, so it sounds like there's definitely something going wrong here. Let's start by ruling out some common issues:

• First up, with vaults/your configuration. Do you have vaults outside of the Private and Shared ones from your Family account on any of your devices? For instance, you might be in an old standalone Primary vault on your Apple devices that isn't connected to your Windows device, and thus not see the changes made there show up; or you might have multiple similar 1Password account-synced vaults with separate copies of identical items and be mixing them up between devices.
    • Next, potential network issues on your Windows 10 device. Do you have a proxy, firewall, VPN, or potentially-overzealous third-party antivirus software set up/running which could be preventing 1Password for Windows from properly syncing?
    • Finally, could you have multiple copies of 1Password for Windows running simultaneously? It's possible they could be interfering with each other's ability to sync.

Let me know if any of those sounds like it could be causing the trouble, and we can try some steps to troubleshoot. Otherwise, I'll help you send us some diagnostic information from 1Password for Windows over email, which should help reveal any under-the-hood trouble that could be causing this.

Cheers,
    Henry

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

1 - I have 3 vaults, all within the Family account. No other vaults. Typically the syncing issue is fields within a login that exists already/can be seen on the windows side - eg. the password has been updated on the Mac side, and isn't reflected on the Windows side. Occasionally an entire login is missing too. Nothing to suspect they're going into a different vault though. I have no non-family syncing vaults.

2 - No proxy VPN. The router has a firewall on it, and some blacklisting, with DNS blacklisting too (pi-hole type setup), but the macOS side goes out through that same device. Windows Defender and firewall are also enabled. Nothing crazy here though. If you can tell me specific IPs or hostnames I'll check to see if they're blocked, but, given it's a macOS desktop on the same network, it's always going out the same way. I'll ignore the phone working here since it's often on a cell connection or different wifi.

3 - It's a pretty new Win10 install, only installed 1Password once. I've seen this same behaviour on my Win7 machine too (although don't have it anymore), and it finally got annoying enough to warrant the forum message. Task manager has 2 1Password.exe processes, which appear to be the full client, and the mini-app (from quick testing killing both, then starting them up. Roughly 6Mb RAM, and 120Mb RAM if that helps at all.

Thanks,

Alex

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@alexwasserman:

If it takes a while for your items to sync to and from 1Password 7 for Windows, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your PC. This report will be really helpful. Here is how:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com. Please do not post your report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

I think this is an issue where certain items just never sync/catch-up. I've tested some syncing between devices, and it's pushing those changes through happily, where periodically some just never update.

Next time I see something that's never caught up I'll take the screenshots, capture the dump, and email it over to you.

• Thanks for keeping an eye on things, @alexwasserman! I have seen cases where a particular item was problematic while others were fine, so that wouldn't be a first. Keep in mind as well that we do have some improvements in the pipes for performance generally so if we aren't able to pin down an exact cause, this future update may help as well when it's ready. :+1:

Let us know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.