App Store subscription, no secret key, can not log in

browncow
browncow
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for many years. I was setting up a new laptop and the Apple App Store installed 1Password 7. I have been syncing with Dropbox with 1Password 6, but decided to use a 1Password account since the App Store now signed me up for a subscription. Now I'm stuck with read only access. When I signed up through the App Store I didn't get any information about a Secret Key, but need that to log in anywhere now. I'm stuck.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OX X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @browncow

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Did you sign up for a 1Password membership in a web browser, or within the 1Password 7 for Mac app? If you signed up using a web browser you would've been asked to download / print a copy of your Emergency Kit. You may find this document in your Downloads folder. If you signed up within the 1Password app your account should've been added to 1Password automatically. If you look in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts do you see your account listed?

Please let me know what you find. It may take some troubleshooting but I'm confident we can get to the bottom of this for you.

Ben

• browncow
    browncow
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Ben.

I purchased the subscription through the Apple App Store. I probably signed up for the free trial using a web browser, but I don't have the Emergency Kit anywhere I can find in my Downloads, Trash, or backups.

• @browncow

In that case I'd recommend:

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• Edbonse
    Edbonse
    Community Member

I have similar issue - I think - I purchased 1 Password in June of 13 and have enjoyed using it - but I saw the note about an upgrade to 7.3 and now I do not recognize my Password account, no browser extension and I am being asked to subscribe for a monthly fee. In addition my old email address for my 1Password was lost to a failed web site and now I could not log in - therefore I had to set up a new vault etc. Does that mean I have to start over? Please advise how I can get back in communication with the great 1Password support team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Edbonse: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. So, without a subscription, you would not have a 1Password account at all; and you'd only be able to use the specific version of 1Password for which you'd purchased a license (a membership includes all of the apps and updates). A license purchased in 2013 won't be valid for anything we've released in 2019. I'd recommend checking out the membership, since that will have you covered:

About 1Password Membership

If you'd like to make the transition, we'll be happy to help. Just shoot us an email at sales@1password.com and we'll go from there. :)

• Edbonse
    Edbonse
    Community Member

thanks brenty - My big problem is I just want to use the old Password, as I had been - but because of a change in email address - I was not allowed to even sign in - as the old email address was no longer valid - so I signed up and had to create a new vault - and the old vault was mostly in tact from what I can see. My questions is - how do I go back to using just what I purchased in - It appears that the new version released does not work as smooth as the old version - seems you have to go through extra steps to use it? Is the original version I purchased no longer supported? Can I get the expired email address changed to a valid email and consequently have my old account back? Your insights will be appreciated.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@Edbonse - can you tell us a bit more about what you had/have installed? If you purchased in 2013, that would have been either 1Password 3 for Mac or 1Password 4 for Mac at the latest. Do you recall what version you had recently installed? If you got the upgrade message, it sounds as if it may have been version 6 you had installed. If you have a valid license for that, then you can certainly re-install it...but we don't recommend it. Version 7 has been the current version of 1Password for Mac for more than a year now (it was released in May of last year), and 1Password 6 for Mac will not be receiving further development attention. So, while the answer to your question of "can I use 1Password the way I used to" is currently yes, that won't be true forever, as retired versions of software become more and more incompatible over time as the rest of technology continues to advance.

Moving forward, 1Password 7 for Mac will be the way to go, and a 1password.com membership is far and away the best way to use it. Licenses for legacy versions of 1Password are no longer available to edit or download, as we've switched to a new distributor (FastSpring) and the previous records aren't accessible. Standalone licenses are still available for purchase (currently $49.99, over 23% off the regular price of $64.99), but a 1password.com membership gets you so much more. It's your call, however. And if you want to continue using the old, legacy 1Password 6 for Mac, you may be able to find the license in this location:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/License/License.onepassword-license on your Mac. It may also be in the Software License category of 1Password itself.

If you'd like further information, please get in touch with the sales team at the email address brenty gave in his previous reply, and thanks for being a 1Password user. :)

This discussion has been closed.