Having No Luck Creating/Editing Tags In Mac OS

arnbar
arnbar
Community Member

I select edit on a credit card file, since it doesn't appear in my existing "Credit Cards" tag, enter Credit Cards as a tag, but the file does not appear in that dropdown category when I return to the main window. I have 2 credit cards that appear in the Credit Card section/tag listing, I believe they're there from a previous iPassword version.

(In addition, I don't understand how you return to the main window from a file without closing iPassword and reopening from the Safari browser!)

1Password Version: 7.31
Extension Version: (where's that?)
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:Having No Luck Creating Tags In Mac OS

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arnbar: Just to make sure we're talking about the same things:

A Credit Card item is one of many categories 1Password uses to differentiate between different things, like Logins, Identities, and others. Credit Card, Login, and Identity items can be used to fill payment, account, and address information into websites.

A tag can be useful for you to organize any items so they're easy for you to find. For example, I actually tag items with he names of specific banks/cards so I can, say, easily see at a glance that my Amazon account uses my American Express card for payment, so it's easy for me to know where I need to update it when I get a new card.

Hopefully that gives us a good foundation to build from, as I have a few questions about what you're trying to do:

the file does not appear in that dropdown category when I return to the main window

Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

I don't understand how you return to the main window from a file without closing iPassword and reopening from the Safari browser!)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. If you can tell me what you're trying to do and where in particular you're getting stuck, I'm sure I can help though. :)

• arnbar
    arnbar
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks for the quick reply! First, compliments on the cool black screen. It looks really different than mine.

Here's what I'm seeing:

[removed for privacy -- this is a public forum]

and this

The Priceline card is one I'm trying to categorize in "Credit Cards," which as you can see in the first screen is (perhaps) a category. I say perhaps because "category" is not, on my screen(s), a category. Something here seems very strange to me.

Do I like have an old version of iPassword or something?

• arnbar
    arnbar
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Also interesting to me:

"On my Mac" in the upper left is greyed out.
    And that "generate password" button allows me to create a new listing.
    Maybe I have to recreate all my old "items?"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arnbar: First and foremost, while your screenshots were very helpful, I've removed them since they appeared to contain some information you'd primly want to keep private. Better safe than sorry. :)

Also, sorry for causing some additional confusion there. I'm using the "dark" theme Apple introduced in macOS Mojave, the current version, with 1Password for Mac version 7.

You appear to have 1Password 7 as well, not an old version, but it looks like you're using 1Password mini, which is how you can access information in your browser, but have resized it to be very large. It might help to make it a little bit smaller to more easily differentiate between the two, like this:

If you open 1Password from the browser toolbar button or macOS menu bar (or press ⌘ ⌥ \ on the keyboard), that's what you'll get: a more streamlined view of 1Password which prioritizes finding Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities to fill in your browser. It's just a list of items on the left, with the selected item's details on the right. You don't need to recreate all of your items. We just gave the "generate password" option front and center in 1Password mini since that's something people often need to do in the web browser.

If you open the main 1Password 7 app, you'll see something more like this:

There you'll have categories and tags on the left, the item list in the middle, and the item details on the right, as that's geared more toward managing your data. That will allow you to easily create new items of any type from the "+" button.

"On my Mac" is just a heading for the vault(s) beneath it, of which you only have one stored locally on your computer. The header is not selectable, only the individual vaults beneath it.

I hope this helps a bit. Let me know how you get along! :)

• arnbar
    arnbar
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty, got that window up. Still feel dumb though, as for the life of me I can't add more credit card Items to the Credit Card category. One would like to be able to drag and drop but that's not happening. How the heck do you add an existing item to a Category?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@arnbar: when it comes to tags, there are two ways to do it. Drag and drop is one, the other is by typing the tag name in the 1Password item itself. If you edit a 1Password item and scroll down in the window to the "tags" field, you an type your tag name in there:

You cannot move an item to a category though, so you will need to create it in the correct category right away, by clicking on the "+" button, or File > New Item in the menu bar

• arnbar
    arnbar
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana -

1. So as I said, drag/drop does NOT work for me when trying to put an existing Item (credit card) in the Credit Card category. So where exactly does drag/drop work?
    2. It sounds like you're saying the way to accomplish my purpose is to create a new item from within the Credit Card category, which would involve my copy/pasting the existing data of a given credit card already in my list into a new item I'm creating in Credit Cards?
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arnbar:

So as I said, drag/drop does NOT work for me when trying to put an existing Item (credit card) in the Credit Card category. So where exactly does drag/drop work?

As I wrote in my previous post, drag and drop works with tags. It does not work with categories.

It sounds like you're saying the way to accomplish my purpose is to create a new item from within the Credit Card category, which would involve my copy/pasting the existing data of a given credit card already in my list into a new item I'm creating in Credit Cards?

Correct! You cannot move items from one category to another, so you will have to create the item in the correct category right away.

I have a question for you out of curiosity though: what category did you create this credit card in?

• arnbar
    arnbar
    Community Member

I had 1Password for a while as a free version, then finally upgraded. So that was a while ago. I don't remember ever doing categories. Was there a pre-category era? None of the 100+ items I have are categorized. In Edit, I see "Section - label - new field" but that's related to the "T" dropdown which shows Text/URL/email...etc. Don't know what that's about.

I mainly wanted to organize my credit cards cause I do these every month. And I'd say having to recreate 100 Items one-by-one is pretty troublesome if I wanted to thoroughly organize everything.

I'd like to ask you: why no drag and drop to Categories, comparable to iTunes dragging and dropping songs to a Playlist? Or even put a simple clickable Category option in the Edit mode similar to Tags??

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@arnbar:

Was there a pre-category era?

No, categories have always been there. Every item needs to be saved somewhere.

None of the 100+ items I have are categorized.

I think all of them are categorized. 1Password forces you to choose a category when you create a new item, there is no way to create an item without a category.

What you might refer to is tags instead: tags are not mandatory, and you can certainly have items without tags.

In Edit, I see "Section - label - new field" but that's related to the "T" dropdown which shows Text/URL/email...etc. Don't know what that's about.

Those are custom fields, which you can add if you need them. If you don't need them, you can safely ignore them.

I mainly wanted to organize my credit cards cause I do these every month. And I'd say having to recreate 100 Items one-by-one is pretty troublesome if I wanted to thoroughly organize everything.

Can you please let us know where your credit cards are currently stored? In which category did you create your current credit cards? There might not be a need to recreate anything if they are currently saved in the correct place already.

• arnbar
    arnbar
    Community Member

Let me get back to you tomorrow. Getting late here in Tokyo.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arnbar,

No problem at all, we'll be here :smile:

You may find a screenshot can help explain your situation but we never want any of our users to accidentally reveal anything personal or sensitive, not even by email - your data should remain only yours :smile: That doesn't mean screenshots are impossible though. What we do when we want to showcase something is create dummy items to show the same stuff but using fictitious data. Could that be something that helps as you describe the trouble you're having? Basically after creating the screenshot, if you can see anything real e.g. email address, password, any part of a card used during a transaction then its revealing more than you want.

1Password categories go back at least as far as 1Password 3 which is the first version I used and know well. As Ana was saying, every item must belong to a particular category, it's impossible to create an item without it having one and for as long as I've been a user of 1Password we've never had a way of changing the category, not beyond creating a new item, copying stuff over and deleting the original.

New items can be created in one of three ways.

1. From the main 1Password window select the menu option File > New Item. All the categories will be listed and you select the category you want to create the new item
    2. The + button to the right of the search field in the item list pane of the main 1Password window. As with 1. this will present a list of the item categories to select from.
    3. The keyboard shortcut ⌘N (for new item). This will show the exact same menu as 2.

No matter what I am confident we'll get to the bottom of it and help get you creating the items you want to create :smile:

• arnbar
    arnbar
    Community Member

The category for most everything is "logins."

But I don't ever remember doing that, it seems like a default categorization.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arnbar: おはようございます!^_^

Login items can be created manually in the main 1Password app window, or saved in the browser using 1Password mini with the browser extension

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Given that most people use 1Password most for saving and filling login credentials on websites, I think it's a safe bet that most people also have a majority of Login items compared to others.

Logins are important because only they can be used to fill your username and password to sign in to an account online.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.