To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have 1Password 6 for OS X. I want to upgrade to 1Password 7 and also replace my Mac

northk
northk
Community Member

I have 1Password 6 for OS X. I want to upgrade to 1Password 7 and also replace my Mac with a new Mac, which (I think) will involve moving my vault to the new machine and deleting it from the old machine. I would like 1) instructions on how to do this, and 2) I want to understand where the vault is stored for 1Password 7 and how it is shared with other Macs (what are my Sync options).

Is the 1Password 7 vault still stored locally on my Mac, or is is stored on AgileBits' server? If it is stored locally, how is the vault sharing/sync between machines accomplished? It looks like there are different Sync options and I want to understand my choices. Finally, do I need to purchase 1Password 7 if I already own 1Password 6, and is it a one-time purchase or a recurring monthly fee and do I need to buy it from the Apple store or directly from AgileBits?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Local Vault but maybe Cloud on new Mac?
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @northk! Welcome to the forum!

Is the 1Password 7 vault still stored locally on my Mac, or is is stored on AgileBits' server?

That depends on what sync method you choose. If you choose no sync method, the data is stored on your computer only, and will not be synced on your other devices. If you choose iCloud, it will be on Apple's servers. If you choose 1Password.com, it will be on our servers.

If it is stored locally, how is the vault sharing/sync between machines accomplished?

If it's stored locally, you cannot share or sync data automatically. You will have to copy things manually from and type it on every device you own.

It looks like there are different Sync options and I want to understand my choices.

The simplest option is 1Password.com. Sync is automatic if you have a 1Password Membership, so you don't have to configure anything ;)

Finally, do I need to purchase 1Password 7 if I already own 1Password 6,

Yes, 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade.

and is it a one-time purchase or a recurring monthly fee

You can choose the method that you prefer, but if you want a 1Password Membership and all its feature, you need a subscription for it. Otherwise you can purchase a license for 1Password 7, but in that case you will just get the app and not all the features offered by a Membership.

and do I need to buy it from the Apple store or directly from AgileBits?

It's up to you, but if you purchase directly from us we have more control over the billing so we can be of more help should you need to change any settings.

This discussion has been closed.