Password generator creates duplicate entries when signing up to a new site

TARS
TARS
Community Member

When using the password generator in mini 1Password to generate a good password for a new website account, the password generator adds an entry after the password is copied (containing password and website only) and then another entry is created by 1Password upon registering (containing username, password and website). This essentially results in duplicate entries except one does not contain any username information.

Is this intended functionality or a bug? It would be nice to be able to choose whether or not the password generator adds an entry upon copying a password from it and/or maybe replace this functionality with a password history in the generator à la LastPass in case 1Password doesn't automatically create a new entry.

Many thanks

1Password Version: 7.3.685
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1903 18362.239
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• This is intended for the moment, @TARS. As you seem to have suspected, this is a failsafe in case a new Login item isn't saved (or an existing one isn't updated). We do intend to streamline this a bit more in a future update, but for now how I generally handle it is I just clean up all of my Password items periodically. I figure if I've not needed them for a while, I'm probably good, right?

Alternatively, 1Password X already uses a Password Generator History instead of creating Password items. This extension doesn't integrate directly with 1Password for Windows just yet, but it is happy to be used alongside the desktop app all the same. Personally, I still find there are things I prefer to do in the desktop app so I have 1Password for Windows still, but most of my day-to-day is handled by 1Password X and it works really well for me. If you're interested, you can check it out here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

And, of course, I'm here if you have additional questions. :chuffed:

• TARS
    TARS
    Community Member

Cool, thanks @bundtkate, just thought I'd double check that this wasn't a bug. Glad to hear you guys are working on it and like you say it's only a minor inconvenience. I'll check out the extension and see if I like it as much as the desktop app.

Thanks again

• Eh, I think we get used to our workarounds with various bits of software, but that doesn't mean those details aren't important. Honest, I'm a huge fan of how 1Password X handles this. I'm not sure that's the path we'll take on Windows, but I'd be stoked if it were. There when I need them, but not in the way, y'know? Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to share, @TARS, it's much appreciated and do let me know what you think of 1Password X! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.