which is more secure... folder sync or cloud sync?

Options
J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member

Which is more secure... local folder sync or 1password cloud sync?

thank you,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:file sync cloud secure

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @J_schwinn

I'm not sure that it is possible to answer this question "A" or "B." While on the surface it may seem like a fairly simple question it becomes quite complex. I think perhaps it may help to understand how 1Password approaches syncing and data protection in general.

Regardless of how you choose to sync your data we use end-to-end encryption. What this means is your 1Password data is encrypted on your device using your Master Password before it is synced anywhere. An attacker would need two things in order to view the data you've entered into 1Password: a copy of the encrypted data, and your Master Password. With either approach there will be a copy of your encrypted data on each of your devices that you sync to. With the 1Password.com approach there is an additional copy on 1Password.com. The copy on 1Password.com has an additional layer of protection, though. That copy is protected by a Secret Key in addition to your Master Password. You can learn about the Secret Key here:

About your Secret Key

In short: your best protection when using 1Password, much more important than which sync service you choose to use, is choosing a strong Master Password. That will protect you even in the unlikely event that someone is able to get ahold of your encrypted sync data.

How to choose a good Master Password

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.