Moving Primary Vault from Dropbox to iCloud

Options
akaman
akaman
Community Member

I've been using Dropbox for vault syncing (Primary and one other vault) for ages without problems. I'm interested in simplifying my life a bit, and using iCloud for sync. This is from iOS and macOS, several devices.

Is there any reason to not do this move?

Anything I should consider?

I assume I'll be able to sync my Primary via iCloud and a secondary over DB still, right?

If all of the above is generally okay, I would also like to know what the necessary migration steps are. I see that there is a pop-up menu in the macOS 1Pass preferences that says, "Sync Primary Vault via...". Currently that is Dropbox. Is it has easy as choosing iCloud from that menu?

TIA.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @akaman,

If the goal is to make things as easy as possible you may want to consider our 1Password accounts. It is a subscription based service but the subscription covers both the hosting of your encrypted data and access to the latest version of 1Password on all supported platforms. The 1Password accounts are designed to help with two key areas.

1. Removal of the frustration that can come with using a third party sync. As it stands you can only sync a Primary vault with iCloud so no secondary vaults and no non-Apple devices. You can sync secondary vaults with Dropbox but many people found the whole process painful. With the 1Password account you sign into your account in each copy of 1Password once and the server handles everything else. For example, create a new vault and it appears everywhere automatically.
    2. As our server becomes the primary source of your encrypted data the loss of any single device doesn't mean the loss of your data. This mostly holds true for people with a single device but it remains the case that the user doesn't need to worry about backups.

Some people do not want a subscription and that's okay. If it isn't for you then you can remain with either Dropbox or move to iCloud if you only have a Primary vault. It is basically as simple as you believe it to be. You should be able simply switch it to iCloud on one device for that copy of 1Password to populate the CloudKit database and then on all the other devices do the same but acknowledge you want them to connect to the existing data. I was about to say you could then delete all the Agile Keychains and OPVaults in Dropbox but if you do have a secondary vault syncing via Dropbox then you don't want to do that.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing for me. I don't want to be tied to a subscription: I just hate the idea, and I'll resist it as long as I possibly can. I also like to know where my data resides.

• With iCloud, I can't sync more than one vault and I can't share a vault either. That's a significant issue for me.
    • With Dropbox, I can do it all (but you now need to have a paid dropbox account if you want to sync to more than 3 devices). I currently have a free dropbox account (with quite a bit of storage space) and I'm not tempted to get a paid account (one more subscription, and I don't need the additional space, so their pricing scheme seems unreasonable for someone in my situation who only wants to sync to more devices).
    • I have plenty of other syncing solutions, from unlimited on OneDrive and Google Drive, to a personally hosted Synology Drive. I could use them and sync "to a folder" from Mac to Mac, unfortunately, that's not an option on iOS.

I wish that we could get additional syncing options, especially on iOS.

Corentin

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cortig

At this time our focus is on our 1Password membership service, which enables seamless syncing and sharing, has no limits on the number of devices you can use, and gives you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. As such we don't have plans to invest in additional 3rd party sync options.

I understand the idea of a subscription can for some be a big shift in thinking. We'd be happy to discuss any concerns you have.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, I understand your focus and I know how it all makes sense to have a regular stream of revenu through subscriptions from your customer over time. I get why companies all want to migrate it all to subscription, but as a user, I see zero benefits.
    Things are easier through a subscription not because of the model, but because that's the direction YOU want to take.
    Again, it makes sense on a business point of view, but not for me as a user.

I already have a "perpetual" license for v7 (and have had one since v1), so I can't possibly imagine what I'd want to drop it all and pay for a subscription on top of it.
    I also do not like the idea to be tied to a subscription and to have to sync through your servers. I like to be in control of my data through and through, and regardless of whether your servers are running or not.
    From reading through the forums, I can see that I'm not the only one…… From seeing the number of people looking to find a way out of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office 365, it looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't like the subscription model either. I'm happy to pay for upgrades whenever they come out. I've consistently done so over the years, but with a subscription it feels like you're forcing my hand. With a subscription, I no longer make the active and educated choice to get the new version because it has something to offer — I only passively get along, without even knowing whether anything new and useful to me will come out within my life time.

That being said, I know you have no plan to support additional syncing solutions. The issue has been brought up a number of times over the years and I can easily understand the technical challenges. I'm not quite sure why we can only sync the Primary vault through iCloud though, especially now that iCloud is now much better integrated in the Finder than ever before, and offers file/folder sharing between users. If I had to vote for improvements, that would definitively be my first choice.

Corentin

• Ben
    Options

Again, it makes sense on a business point of view, but not for me as a user.

I'd like to discuss this further but I don't want to come across as pushy, so I'll leave it to you if you'd like to continue the conversation on this point or move on. :) Please let me know. If you'd like to talk about your specific case as far as purchasing history etc I'd recommend we move the conversation to email: support+forum@1password.com (please post the support ID you get back here).

I'm not quite sure why we can only sync the Primary vault through iCloud though, especially now that iCloud is now much better integrated in the Finder than ever before, and offers file/folder sharing between users. If I had to vote for improvements, that would definitively be my first choice.

As far as I'm aware the only limitation to this is the availability of development resources. I don't think there is any technical restriction that would prevent us from syncing multiple vaults with iCloud. We're still hiring new talent to work on 1Password.com. As such I don't imagine that we'll be pulling existing talent off of that to work on improvements to syncing via iCloud. That said, it is possible that in the future when we've achieved more of our current goals for 1Password.com resources could free up to focus elsewhere. Time will tell. :)

To clarify though: the changes that you're talking about (integration with Finder, sharing, etc) apply only to iCloud Drive, not CloudKit. CloudKit is the database side of iCloud, and as such is what we use for 1Password data. While iCloud Drive must be enabled for 1Password to sync with CloudKit, we don't actually use iCloud Drive itself at all. To my knowledge Apple does not support sharing of CloudKit data between Apple IDs, nor is there any integration of CloudKit into Finder. This is why you don't see your 1Password data in iCloud Drive — it isn't there.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

To clarify though: the changes that you're talking about (integration with Finder, sharing, etc) apply only to iCloud Drive, not CloudKit.

That's a very valid point!

Corentin

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.