credit card payments in Europe and 1P autofill issues

In preparation for a trip to Europe I have been making a number of credit card transactions online, and I'm trying to use 1P to autofill my credit card info (card number, expiration date, CID). I've noticed on a few sites that 1P is making the same mistake: it is correctly filling in the card number, correctly filling in the expiration month, leaving the expiration blank, and mistakenly putting in a 3-digit number in the CID field which happens to be my birth month followed by my birth date. Since it is doing exactly the same thing in the same way on a few different European sites, I suspect that something about these sites is fooling 1P.

An example is www.renfe.com, the Spanish national rail system. If you want to try it, you can just try to purchase any rail ticket.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @camner,

We can certainly take a look. Just to help us though, can you let me know what version of 1Password you have and whether it's a Mac, Windows PC or maybe a mobile device (iOS or Android) so that when testing I can check the latest version and whatever version you have in case there are differences.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

Well, I use 1P on 2 Macs, a PC, two iPhones, and 2 iPads :) BUT, the Macs are most important. Version 7.3.1.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@camner: thank you for the confirmation! I tried to test the website but I got this error message when trying to add a ticket to my basket:

So I couldn't get to the page where I can enter credit card details :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hello @camner,

I was able to reach the payment page. I can reproduce it not filling the expiry year which is disappointing as they use the notation aa like we might use yy in English and 1Password already knows about aa. Given the field is next to the one for the expiry month that should have been an easy one for it to get right. I don't know why it fails.

In all my tests so far though with that site, every filling attempt with a Credit Card item sees the correct filling of the CVV field. I also went back to your first post and you say 1Password is filling using your date of birth but a basic Credit Card item doesn't even contain that sort of information. 1Password won't pull data from other items when filling, it will only use the data that is part of the selected item. Does your Credit Card item contain your date of birth?

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#636

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your reply. My credit card does not contain my date of birth, and the 1P entry for the card also does not.

Today I was unable to reproduce the error. I know it happened twice a few days ago. Weird.

Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@camner: 1Password can now fill info from custom fields in some cases, so keep in mind that any date you've added to the item may get filled depending on the name you gave it. But did you maybe fill an Identity on the page as well, perhaps for billing address, etc? That would probably do it.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables: Well, I spoke too soon. I went to a different Spanish website to purchase some tickets, and used 1P to fill in a very similar looking payment form (see screenshot).

317 is my birth month and day. The CID is a different 3 -digit code.

I thought about the possibility you suggested, that I had used 1P to fill in an identity, but interestingly, the Spanish websites I'm purchasing from do not require a billing address (in fact, they don't require any address at all!). All this site asked for is an email address to which to send a PDF of the tickets. (The previous website, Renfe.com, DID want my name, but on a different web page, and I filled my name in manually, since it wanted only my first and last names.)

[On a different note, I'm not getting notifications of your replies, other than to my initial post, and I checked my spam folder. And, per the screenshot below, my preferences at agile should be set correctly.]

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@camner It sounds like the Spanish date format uses aa instead of yy, we will look into it. If you come across any other examples of this, please send us the links.
    Perhaps now that I tagged you, you will receive a notification? :chuffed:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

Hi @camner,

Can you try something for me please, can you create an entirely new Credit Card item and copy the relevant details from your existing one. The next time you reach a payment page like this, if filling with the original item sees 317 being filled can you clear each field and then test filling with the new item.

1Password has never pulled in more than one item during a single fill command so I can only assume there must be something highly unusual about this Credit Card item. As you can never share it all we can do is test to see what happens with a brand new item.

I do fully anticipate that it will continue to fail the expiry year given we're seeing consistent results between the two of us.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@Yaron: Given that the Spanish for "year" is "año," it makes perfect sense that "aa" would be used instead of "yy." That leads to quite a challenge for 1P, to support all the world's languages (I suppose you could skip the ones spoken by remote tribes unlikely to be connected to the internet...).

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables:

OK, I've finally figured out what's going on!

I have three vaults associated with my 1P account: Personal, my wife's, and an archive. The credit card is in both Personal and my wife's vaults, with the same name. BUT, she never updated the CID after the last time the card expired, and the old CID happened to be my birth day and month.

When I went to fill in the credit card info, the only entry with the name of the card that appeared (the other entry was "below the fold" and thus invisible) was my wife's entry, so 1P correctly filled in the info from the entry I chose. Bah, humbug!

But something doesn't seem quite right. I have 1PX set to only show/search the Personal vault. I can see this because when I click on the 1P icon in the Chrome toolbar and 1PX opens, I can see the word "Personal" appearing in light grey in the search bar, and only entries that I am certain are in the Personal vault appear in the list of suggestions. Yet, when I was on the credit card page and clicked on the 1P icon in the credit card number field and typed the first few letters of the credit card name, all of the entries from all three vaults appeared in the list. Is this expected behavior? Is there a way to tell 1PX to only search in a single vault?

[And contra Yaron, even after he tagged me, I did not get the notification of his or your reply. I've only gotten 1 email, and that's when you 1st replied to my original post.]

• he never updated the CID after the last time the card expired, and the old CID happened to be my birth day and month.

That's quite the coincidence! Glad to hear you were able to get that figured out. As for the situation with items other than those from the Personal vault appearing... Are you using the extension "1Password X" or "1Password extension (desktop app required)"?

Thanks for letting us know about the missed notification emails. We'll need to follow up with our forum vendor about that. It happened once before, and ultimately if I remember right it sorted itself out, but we should at least let them know of the issue.

Ben

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@Ben: Sorry, I should have said. I use 1PX with Chrome, not the "1Password extension"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Well, you're not wrong. 1Password X is an extension too -- just a really independent one. Hopefully we'll be able to simplify things in the future. :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

So, is there a reason that the 1PX extension searches all vaults instead of the one I've chosen to be the only one searched? Or, put more precisely: When the 1PX extension is opened via clicking on the 1P menu icon in Chrome, only the chosen vault is searched, but when I click on the 1P icon that appears on the right side of a fillable field on a web page, ALL vaults are searched. Is that expected behavior?

• 1Password X has separate preferences from 1Password for Mac. If you've modified the All Vaults view in 1Password for Mac that won't have any effect on 1Password X (it would have on the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension). For 1Password X click on the gear icon in the upper right of the UI, click on the vault switcher, and then click on the gear icon next to All Vaults. There you'll be able to modify what vaults 1Password X shows in All Vaults.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@Ben: I'm not sure we're understanding one another.

When I click on the 1P icon IN THE CHROME TOOLBAR, I'm accessing 1PX, not "1Password for Mac," right?

If I am correct in this, then I AM changing the preference in 1PX, NOT 1Password for Mac.

But I'm NOT trying to change what vaults 1PX shows in "All Vaults"! I am trying to change which vault 1PX uses to search for items when I have only a single vault chosen.

What appears to be happening is that after Chrome is quit and restarted, 1PX defaults back to searching All Vaults. Is this expected behavior for 1PX? In Safari (and I understand 1P works differently with Safari), the preference to search only a single vault is sticky, which it appears not to be in 1PX.

As you can see in the screenshot below, I have a single vault ("Personal") chosen in 1PX:

I quit Chrome and restarted it. Now 1PX prefs look like this:

Note how the prefs switched from having only 1 vault selected to All Vaults selected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When I click on the 1P icon IN THE CHROME TOOLBAR, I'm accessing 1PX, not "1Password for Mac," right?

@camner: Maybe. Do you have "Desktop App Integration" enabled in 1Password X settings? If not, then the answer will be yes.

If I am correct in this, then I AM changing the preference in 1PX, NOT 1Password for Mac.

Likely correct, but some settings can depend on the above.

But I think you're misunderstanding the feature. Your vault selection is separate from Settings/Preferences. It's not even in there. It's more like if you select a specific item in 1Password: it won't remain selected after quitting 1Password, restarting your device, etc.

Put another way, What your viewing there isn't Preferences/Settings; you'd have to go into Settings for those. The selected vault is just a menu selection, just as Lock is. 1Password only maintains "state", i.e. what you're viewing/editing while it's running. Does that help clear things up?

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@brenty:

Thanks for your response, but I'm a bit confused. When I open 1PX settings (click on 1P icon in Chrome toolbar, click on gear, click on the word "Settings"), the settings page I see does not have any item marked "Desktop App Integration." See screenshot.

Perhaps I AM misunderstanding the feature. All I know is that when I'm in Safari (which I think I understand to be integrated with 1Password for Mac, yes?), I can open the prefs and select Vaults-->Always Open To, select a single vault, and whenever I use 1P that's the vault that gets searched. Perfect.

Can I duplicate that in 1PX? All I seem to be able to do is to turn off some vaults in "Include in All Vaults" under "Accounts & Vaults" when I'm in 1PX settings. But I don't want to change what is included in All Vaults; I'm looking for a way to duplicate the "Always Open To" functionality of 1P for Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

All I know is that when I'm in Safari (which I think I understand to be integrated with 1Password for Mac, yes?),

@camner: That's correct. The Safari App Extension is actually built right into 1Password for Mac.

I can open the prefs and select Vaults-->Always Open To, select a single vault, and whenever I use 1P that's the vault that gets searched. Perfect.

I think that's where the confusion lies. 1Password X does not have an "Always Open To" preference; 1Password for Mac does.

Can I duplicate that in 1PX? All I seem to be able to do is to turn off some vaults in "Include in All Vaults" under "Accounts & Vaults" when I'm in 1PX settings. But I don't want to change what is included in All Vaults; I'm looking for a way to duplicate the "Always Open To" functionality of 1P for Mac.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying! That's not possible today, but perhaps we can offer that kind of feature in 1Password X in the future. I'll let the team know that's something you'd find useful. :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for your latest clarification. That helped.

Based partly on my own confusion (not only on this issue but on others) as well as what I've read in posts here, I'm sensing that it might be useful to have sort of table that compares features between 1PX, 1P desktop/1P safari, and (if different), 1P extension for Chrome/Firefox. You must spend a fair amount of time explaining to folks why they are seeing (or not seeing) what they are expecting.

• That is indeed an area we hope to simplify in the future. Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.