Please unlock 1password from the toolbar icon.

I like this new 1password that seems to be integrated right into Chrome. However, I've only been able to get it to work once. Most of the time it just says "Please unlock 1 password from the toolbar icon" even when it is already unlocked. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gburleigh: Can you clarify? Are you saying that it tells you to unlock it when you try to use 1Password X from the inline icon in the webpage, but when you click the toolbar button like it suggested it's already unlocked?

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member

Correct.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gburleigh – Do you happen to have the 1Password desktop app installed as well? I'm wondering if you're confusing the two unlock states since the desktop apps and 1Password X don't actually communicate with each other in the stable versions. Next time you notice this happen, would you mind sending a screenshot of where you see that 1Password X is unlocked while the inline menu tells you to unlock it? That should help us get to the bottom of it!

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member

I do have the desktop app installed as well. When I get the following inline message in Chrome, the Chrome toolbar 1password is unlocked. I can't send you a screenshot because it includes my passwords, but I can confirm it is unlocked.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gburleigh – Are you able to send us a screenshot of the unlocked 1Password X icon in your toolbar? I'm looking for if it looks like this...

or this...

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member

Whether locked or unlocked, it always looks like this...

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gburleigh – Thanks so much! What you're seeing there is our desktop-dependent 1Password extension, which operates quite differently than 1Password X. The inline menu that says "Please unlock 1Password from the toolbar icon" is 1Password X, so it seems like you have both of our extensions installed. Let me go over each one so you have a better idea of which one you'd prefer:

1Password X is a full featured extension for Chrome and Firefox that can be used without a connection to the main 1Password app (but runs smoothly alongside it), and access to it comes with our 1Password.com accounts. It has a bunch of awesome features that the 1Password browser extension doesn't have, like your logins will be available directly within the web-page you are viewing. 1Password X will also receive new updates to saving and filling logic before the other apps. If that sounds good to you, I highly recommend giving 1Password X a shot.

The desktop-dependent 1Password extension, on the other hand, works solely off of the 1Password desktop application. That means when you unlock the 1Password app, it also unlocks this extension. This one also uses the command-\ keyboard shortcut to fill Login items, but you won’t be able to see the Login inline like you would with 1Password X.

As of right now, it's all based on personal preference, but the two extensions aren't meant to be used together. I hope that helps determine which one suits you better, and we'll be here if you have any questions!

• gburleigh
    gburleigh
    Community Member

Ok. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.