Feature Request: Change Item Type

FEATURE REQUEST:

Please enable logins to be easily converted to accounts.

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Hi Jackenstein,

We are looking into making it possible to change an item's type within 1Password, however I don't have a timeframe for when this will be available. It's also worth noting that if you did convert a Login item to an Account item you'd lose the ability to fill this on web forms, because only Logins, Credit Cards and Identities can be filled in our browser extensions.

Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you, we'll certainly add your vote to the list :-)

I'm going to second Jackenstein's request because it would be an easy work-around for a problem that's bitten me more than once, which is that generated passwords aren't accessible in 1P/Palm. An update to 1P/Palm would be even better, but I suspect that this isn't high on Agile's to-do list. I've already been told that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for File > Export All > Palm/Treo to show up in 1P/Win, which is a pity given that Snow Leopard won't talk to a Palm. I have an old Vista laptop that I now use pretty much exclusively for backing up my Treo 755p and freshening the 1P/Palm database.
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    benfdc wrote:

I'm going to second Jackenstein's request because it would be an easy work-around for a problem that's bitten me more than once, which is that generated passwords aren't accessible in 1P/Palm. An update to 1P/Palm would be even better, but I suspect that this isn't high on Agile's to-do list. I've already been told that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for File > Export All > Palm/Treo to show up in 1P/Win, which is a pity given that Snow Leopard won't talk to a Palm. I have an old Vista laptop that I now use pretty much exclusively for backing up my Treo 755p and freshening the 1P/Palm database.

Hmm, I guess I didn't read the request carefully enough. What I want is the ability to convert a generated password into a generic account.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hmm, I guess I didn't read the request carefully enough. What I want is the ability to convert a generated password into a generic account.

I changed the thread topic to reflect a broader interpretation of the feature request. :-)

Cheers,
  • benfdc wrote:

I would like to add a vote for this feature. I have several generated passwords I just need to add the username to to make it a full login item.

I would also like the ability to enter a username to the generate password dialog in firefox so that it can be added as a login item from there.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I just need to add the username to to make it a full login item.

…and a URL, and the correct form field names (if it is not an HTTP auth login), and indicate whether it is a web page login or HTTP auth prompt login…

This is something we are still considering, but as you can see, there is a bunch of additional data that cannot just come from nowhere. :-)

If you need to manually input all that extra data anyway, perhaps it is simpler then to create a new login item. What do you think? Would you prefer being prompted for all the additional information necessary to "switch vaults"? It seems overly complicated to me, but perhaps I am missing something. (My sleep schedule has been a bit off lately.) :lol:

Please let me know.
  • J-a-s-o-n
    edited April 2011
    khad wrote:

…and a URL, and the correct form field names (if it is not an HTTP auth login), and indicate whether it is a web page login or HTTP auth prompt login…

This is something we are still considering, but as you can see, there is a bunch of additional data that cannot just come from nowhere. :-)

If you need to manually input all that extra data anyway, perhaps it is simpler then to create a new login item. What do you think? Would you prefer being prompted for all the additional information necessary to "switch vaults"? It seems overly complicated to me, but perhaps I am missing something. (My sleep schedule has been a bit off lately.) :lol:

Please let me know.

When converting a generated password it already has the URL, in most cases, because I usually generate passwords from the firefox addin. Login items don't require a user name. I imagine when you click convert it will bring you into the new login item window with the information from the generated password. In most cases this will include a auto generated name (as it does in the firefox addin), a password, and a URL. If a field is required it will prompt you when you hit save. So maybe a better name for the option would be 'create a new login item from', instead of convert. As for the http auth login, I don't have any generated passwords for http auth because those are created as login items from the addin. I don't see the need for the distinction of http auth or not because I don't know of any cases where I need a form login and a http auth login for the same URL, so the URL should be enough of a distinction.

I really don't see the need for the generated passwords category because I'm always generating a password for a login item in the firefox addin (which is the most common reason for a generated password to be created), so it should just create a new login item from there without a username, or even better just prompt me for the username right from the addin. If I'm in the 1password interface the generate password feature should just be a part of the new item window; The only reason I would use the generate password feature outside of the new item window would be to copy it into a secure note or for something I am not going to save into 1password. On that note, I would like a add a generated password here in the context menu within a secure note.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    When converting a generated password it already has the URL, in most cases,

Good point. I think I was getting tired when I wrote my previous post. Thank you for your graciousness. :-)

Login items don't require a user name.

Not technically, you're correct.

I imagine when you click convert it will bring you into the new login item window with the information from the generated password.

This would be a great way to handle it but this may take a backseat to improved saving of logins from within the browser where we can actually grab the form field names directly from the login page which greatly increases the success rate for future logins. The credentials are filled in the correct fields rather than being guessed at.

'create a new login item from'

That would definitely be a better way of describing/naming the feature if/when we add it. I like it!

Please consider that the Generated Passwords section is hidden by default (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords) and intended more like a password history than anything else — a safety net if you will.

Generated Passwords are to Logins as browser history is to bookmarks.

If anyone knows about an abundance of Generated Passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at Agile do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

That being said, we are looking at ways to improve this in future versions, and I think we have some great ideas which will make both of us happy. I can't say more than that at the moment, but we are listening. I promise! :-)

On that note, I would like a add a generated password here in the context menu within a secure note.

Now you're just getting greedy. :lol: Seriously, though, I will pass this along to the developers for consideration. Thanks so much for your feedback!
  • khad wrote:

Please consider that the Generated Passwords section is hidden by default (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords) and intended more like a password history than anything else — a safety net if you will.

Generated Passwords are to Logins as browser history is to bookmarks.

If anyone knows about an abundance of Generated Passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at Agile do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I agree, now thank you mention it, I have used it to 'save my bacon' once my self.

Thank you for all you do.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It's like insurance: you don't need it until you really need it. :-D

Best regards,
  • I have a lot of items I imported from other programs, that when imported, show up as the item type "login" or the item type "secure note".

A lot of these actually should be of item type "account". On the iOS app, items of type "account" show up as "passwords" and can be copied to the clipboard. Items of the type "login" can only be used to login to a site using the built-in browser; but often that's not what I want to do. I'm accessing the iOS app on an iphone because I'm away from my computer and need to use a password on another terminal.

What's odd is that the same app on the iPad does not have this limitation; I can see and copy all fields, even those that do not display on the iPhone, even with password hiding off and master password off.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, dmjossel! I have merged your post with the appropriate thread.

I have a lot of items I imported from other programs, that when imported, show up as the item type "login" or the item type "secure note".

This is due to the variability of import formats. 1Password can easily import data into any vault from a 1Password Interchange File (1PIF) since the conversion is one-to-one. Things get much trickier when importing foreign formats. We never say "never," but I do know that this is not our number one priority at the moment.

On the iOS app, items of type "account" show up as "passwords" and can be copied to the clipboard.

"Accounts" items are "Accounts" items in both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS. "Generated Passwords" are listed in the "Passwords" vault on the iPhone and are yet unsupported on the iPad. There is a feature request for Generated Passwords on the iPad.

What's odd is that the same app on the iPad does not have this limitation; I can see and copy all fields, even those that do not display on the iPhone, even with password hiding off and master password off.

I am not certain I know what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

Please also take a look at the rest of the thread above and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Cheers,
  • kevanp
    kevanp
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    I'd like to echo the desire for the ability, however implemented, to (a) change category within the vault, b, change the item icon, and c, know under which category a selected item is stored (specifically when you have done a search for an item, and you are just presented with a list of items that meet the search criterion).

I have recently rationalized my password archiving, and ditched Web Confidential for 1Password. The problem that has created is a whole load of data in 1Password that is categorized seemingly at random: frankly, it's a complete mess. I have to resort to using the search window to find anything. Vault categories have become virtually meaningless.

It would be so good to be able to put some order on this unstructured mess.

Thanks in anticipation
  • Thanks for your perspective kevanp!
  • almage
    almage
    Community Member
    kevanp wrote:

I'd like to echo the desire for the ability, however implemented, to (a) change category within the vault, b, change the item icon, and c, know under which category a selected item is stored (specifically when you have done a search for an item, and you are just presented with a list of items that meet the search criterion).

I have recently rationalized my password archiving, and ditched Web Confidential for 1Password. The problem that has created is a whole load of data in 1Password that is categorized seemingly at random: frankly, it's a complete mess. I have to resort to using the search window to find anything. Vault categories have become virtually meaningless.

It would be so good to be able to put some order on this unstructured mess.

I am also in the process of working on re-organizing my imported items from Web Confidential. As Kevanp states, it is currently somewhat of an "unstructured mess"!

for me:
    - I don't yet use the browser auto-fill functionality (a bit scared off with the mess of duplicated items in 1Password resulting from a glitch in the 3.6.5? version, which has now been remedied, but caused a lot of difficulty for me)
    - I'm trying to update my login-type information on many websites, converting to new email addresses and passwords
    - I'm working on using labels, instead of folders, but still have a foot in both worlds
    - I've got a lot (80+) of login-type items that imported as "Secure Notes"
    - I currently only need to ensure my account/login info is not lost, corrupted, etc. - later I'll extend functionality to auto-fill forms (perhaps)

So, I'd love to a way to toggle a Secure Note to a Login Item.

I have a small laundry list of other requests, that I'll officially submit on a new or existing thread, with a different subject.

cheers!
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for weighing in, almage, we appreciate the input!
  • felixwave
    felixwave
    Community Member

We too are in the process of re-organizing our imported items from Password Repository. As stated already, it is currently somewhat of an "unstructured mess"!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see the ability to move an item from one category to another. It may be more possible now that custom fields are available in version 4, but it's still a bit like trying to "move" an item from "Music" to "Movies" in iTunes. There is simply not enough data in some cases. 1Password can't just make it up out of thin air any more than iTunes could make up an entire video for an audio track.

It's certainly not a perfect analogy, but the idea is similar. We'll continue to look at improvements we can make to help you organize your data (especially imported data).

Thanks for your feedback! Please keep it coming. :)

This discussion has been closed.