Where are preferences written to disk in macOS?

swy
swy
Community Member

Businesses frequently don't want every single app running its own update mechanism, but to centralize software updates and approve them for deployment after a vetting period. Using Profiles to declare default behaviors on business-owned computers is a solved problem, but requires knowing what domain to address and key values to set. To do this, an admin needs to examine the application preference file and set desired keys.
Where does 1P 7 store its preferences? My goal is to not allow users to enable upgrading 1P, this task will be handled by the workplace software update system.

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Teams
Referrer: forum-search:preferences

Comments

• Hi @swy,

To play with preferences of apps on OS X you shouldn't be playing with files directly, but instead using defaults write. In this case defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 for the version of 1Password 7 from our website. Using defaults write will ensure that the various caches get updated as well as the pref file on disk.

The key you're looking to set to false in this case is CheckForSoftwareUpdatesEnabled.

Rick

• glenn1p
    glenn1p
    Community Member

Hi Rick,

Your response helped me too - thank you.

I've also found that I can set KeepHelperRunning using defaults write, but the keys below don't seem to be changeable using defaults write. Can you please confirm this? Maybe I've got the syntax wrong.

Glenn

defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 autosave -bool TRUE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 compromisedPasswordServiceV2 -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 twoFactorService -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 watchtowerService -bool FALSE

defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 AutoInstallSoftwareUpdatesEnabled -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 CheckForSoftwareUpdatesIncludeBetas -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 ClearPasteboardAfterTimeout -bool TRUE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 ConcealPasswords -bool TRUE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 EnableMarkdown -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 GoAndFillOpenInTabMode -int 2
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 HashSectionIsSortedFirst -bool TRUE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 LockOnMainAppExit -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 LockOnScreenSaver -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 LockOnSleep -bool TRUE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 LockOnUserSwitch -bool TRUE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 LockTimeout -int 60
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 PasteboardClearTimeout -int 90
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 ShowItemCounts -bool FALSE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 ShowRichIcons -bool TRUE
    defaults write com.agilebits.onepassword7 ShowStatusItem -bool TRUE

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@glenn1p: Can you tell me what you're trying to accomplish? That isn't something we support, as those can change at any time.

• glenn1p
    glenn1p
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Like the original poster, I use profiles in a business environment with managed devices. Being able to set 1Password preferences with a profile would be great, which is why I was digging into it after reading Rick's reply about being able to set the software update preference.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@glenn1p: Gotcha. I'd encourage you to reach out to business@1password.com in that case. It may not be something we can offer today, but we'd love to get a better picture of how you're using 1Password in case there is more we can do in the future that will help you and others. :)

This discussion has been closed.