To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused [1Password 7 requires membership or a new license; licenses don't include upgrades]

sepuku
sepuku
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Memberships

Hi,

Maybe this is a previously answered question, if so I apologise... I should try and search better...

So I've been a Lifetime/Pro user for years now, as I knew I'd be using 1Password essentially forever.
All my devices were signed in using the same account, and this has all been working a dream.

I just saw there's a version 7 of 1Password for the Mac, so went ahead and installed it. Now apparently there's no such thing as the Pro features, and I need to pay for a subscription?
What gives?

Thanks

/sep

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @sepuku

I'm sorry for any confusion caused. We've never offered anything called "Pro features" on Mac (Pro features are an iOS/Android thing), and we tend to avoid calling anything we sell "lifetime." Licenses for 1Password have always been sold on a per-version basis. They allow you to use the version that you've purchased for as long as you'd like, and so in that way are arguably "lifetime." But we don't use that term because it tends to give folks the incorrect impression that they'll receive free upgrades forever, which has never been part of the deal with licenses.

Licenses are still available for those who are familiar with them and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach to syncing that they offer, but for the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included.

With a membership (subscription) you always have access to the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps for each of your compatible devices. The Pro features for iOS & Android are included, and there is no need to separately purchase licenses for 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. It's part all part of the package. Additionally custom built sync is included. To sync a device you simply sign in to your 1Password account in the 1Password app on that device and the rest is automagical. This makes adding a new device or replacing a device incredibly simple. There are a host of other benefits as well, which you can read about here.

Membership is the path we recommend, but if you'd prefer a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can select the option to purchase one by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" link at the bottom of the 1Password 7 welcome screen. If you have a v6 license, and don't want to make any purchasing decision right now, you're welcome to continue using that version. I would only caution you though that should be considered a temporary solution. 1Password 6 is no longer being developed/updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but it is especially important for your operating system, your web browsers, and your password manager.

If you'd like help transitioning to a membership I'd recommend reaching out to our sales team at sales@1password.com with a copy of receipts from any 1Password purchases. They'll be in the best position to assist. :)

I hope that helps clear up any confusion. Thanks!

Ben

• JRSyd51
    JRSyd51
    Community Member

@Ben One question, as someone looking to change from license to membership, does membership include future upgrades?

• @JRSyd51

It does, yes. As long as your subscription is in good standing you'll be able to use whatever the latest version of 1Password is on all of your compatible devices. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.