discordapp.com - Undesirable password reset behavior

To reset your password in the Discord Web App, the procedure is as follows:

1. Hit "Edit" in account settings
  2. With the 1pass dropdown input the current Discord password.
  3. Hit "Change Password", which presents the user with an additional field "New Password"
  4. Then use the 1pass dropdown to generate a new password, 1pass then asks you to update the password

However, what the user doesn't realize is "Generate Password" overwrites the "Current Password" field. By updating the website's password the "Current Password" is lost and when the user then tries to save the new password, Discord gives an error that the "Current Password" is incorrect. At this point, the user no longer has the "Current Password" and must logout, select "Forgot Password" to fix all this.

It's unusual that Discord has the user set a new password without requiring it be inputted twice. So, I'm not saying it's necessarily 1pass's fault, but if possible tailored behavior where 1pass doesn't overwrite the current password in Discord would is highly desired.

As a web developer, I recognize a sensible solution could be to check if the input label contains "Current Password" and after inspecting the HTML, Discord fails to use a label or aria-labeledby to correctly link the label and the input. So, how 1pass would know where to the find the input label is beyond me. I think I might go complain to Discord now about not meeting established accessibility guidelines.

Thanks,
Chris

1Password Version: 1.14.3
Extension Version: 1.14.3
OS Version: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 3.8.9
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Chris_Hayes! Thank you for getting this on our radar. I just gave it a shot with my Discord account, and I'm seeing the exact same thing. Luckily, there is a way to get your old password back. Here's how:

1. Select your Discord item in the 1Password X popup.
    2. Click the Edit button – the 1Password web app will open in a new tab.
    3. Click Cancel.
    4. Click Password History to copy the old password.

I hope that helps for now, but I've also got the issue reported to our developers. We'll see what we can do to improve the experience from our side of things. :)

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#668

This discussion has been closed.