Windows App Almost Never Locks Itself

Options

In the last few versions of the 1Password Windows Desktop App, I've noticed that the App itself is almost never locked.

On my Desktop at work, I have it set to lock the app after computer is idle for 1 minute and it still rarely ever asks me for a password to unlock the app or auto-fill a password. I usually unlock it early in the day and then it almost never ask me for the password again. It fills in passwords straight away. Sure, this is convenient for the time I'm sitting at my desk, but I came in this morning to discover that it had been unlocked and available to anyone who might have accessed my Desktop over the weekend. Fingers crossed no one did.

Now, I fully understand that there may be something running in the background on my system that is never allowing the computer to idle itself. And that I should make an effort to lock my computer over night, but sometimes you have to leave in a hurry (as happened on Friday) and you forget to do every single locking step.

Can 1Password be given a setting that forces the app to lock itself after a set amount of time - no matter what the idle state is? Or a setting that forces 1Password to lock itself when the app is closed manually? (I thought I recalled that is how the app used to behave). I feel that I shouldn't have to remember one additional step to keep my info safe. The app should be more aggressive in locking itself or there should be a setting that allows it to be more aggressive. Or is there something I may need to try/change on my system to correct this behavior?

(As I typed this, I opened the app on my laptop and watched it lock itself after the idle timer kicked in, so I know that the app will behave properly).

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 - 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ben Howard: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty. To clarify, the Auto-Lock idle timer will only ever start when there is no input activity. So I've seen cases where specific drivers or input modifiers kept it "alive" -- even a couple really weird ones, where the mouse was being moved by vibrations from a fan or speaker nearby. You can't make this stuff up. :lol:

Anyway, those are things to look at with regard to idle. I'm not sure we want to have a setting that locks 1Password even when the user is active, as that can cause a lot of problems, when it inevitably locks as it's being used. But you may be able to get the effect you want -- having 1Password lock without you having to manually lock it yourself -- even without actually being idle, by using Windows lock features, and having 1Password set to "Lock when computer is locked". :)

This discussion has been closed.