iPhone reset not working

unixdude
unixdude
Community Member

Hi. I have 1Password for Families, and a few weeks ago ago I had to reset my wife's account password. She can log in via browser, and she can log in on her Mac, but her iPhone will not reset. I deleted the app and restarted her phone as instructed for resetting 1Password on an iPhone, but she cannot sign in. We have tried scanning the emergency kit and supplying the current password (this does not work), and we have tried logging using the preexisting 1password.com account the the 1Password app finds when I launch it. What should we do to reset 1Password on her phone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:iphone reset

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@unixdude: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Deleting any iOS app deletes all of its data as well, so it's the most "reset" you can get: when you install it again, it's exactly like it's never been installed before. In order to sign into a 1Password account, all of the credentials will need to be those which were setup for that account, and entered exactly. We don't have the account credentials, so we can't give them to you or change them for you. But ultimately it sounds like the problem is that you're relying on some saved credentials on the iPhone to sign in. Instead, enter them all the same as on the Mac, since it sounds like those are correct. You can find the email, sign in address, and Secret Key in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Accounts. Let me know how it goes. :)

• unixdude
    unixdude
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

The account is getting saved and reloaded from somewhere: When I launch 1Password on her phone after a fresh install from the App Store, there is an option to use an existing account. I tried using that, typing her new password, and the password is not accepted. I tried the other option (set up a new account), and while doing that I scan the QR code on the emergency kit -- this enters the email address and secret key for me -- I then type in her password (the one that works at 1password.com with that secret key, the same password that worked when I reset the app on her MacBook Pro), and it does not work on the phone. What else should we do?

I should clarify that I have confirmed the email address and secret key that were entered automatically after I scanned the QR code -- they are correct, and so is the password I am typing, but they are not accepted.

• @unixdude

The account is getting saved and reloaded from somewhere: When I launch 1Password on her phone after a fresh install from the App Store, there is an option to use an existing account.

That would be coming from iCloud Keychain, but it shouldn't have any effect on the new account option.

I tried the other option (set up a new account), and while doing that I scan the QR code on the emergency kit -- this enters the email address and secret key for me -- I then type in her password (the one that works at 1password.com with that secret key, the same password that worked when I reset the app on her MacBook Pro), and it does not work on the phone.

Could you please try signing in to her account at https://my.1password.com/ in Safari on her phone?

I should clarify that I have confirmed the email address and secret key that were entered automatically after I scanned the QR code -- they are correct, and so is the password I am typing, but they are not accepted.

What is the exact error message that you're getting?

Please let us know.

Ben

• unixdude
    unixdude
    Community Member

I am not able to log into the website either. However, I went another way and was successful: On the MacBook Pro, I used the "Set up other devices" option in the Accounts tab of 1Password's preferences. When I did that, I was successful. I printed this emergency kit after resetting her password, so it should be up-to-date. Any idea what happened here?

Also, the error I was getting was something about checking the email & password.

• I printed this emergency kit after resetting her password, so it should be up-to-date. Any idea what happened here?

Do the details that are now in the 1Password for iOS app (Settings > 1Password Accounts) match the details on the recently printed Emergency Kit?

Ben

• unixdude
    unixdude
    Community Member

Yes, the details on the now-functioning 1Password account on the iPhone do match what's found on the Emergency Kit -- that is to say: the Secret Code and the email address match. I also confirmed that a brand new emergency kit (printed today) has the same details. However, the QR code on the Emergency Kit printed weeks ago does not match the QR code that the MacBook Pro shows if I use the "Set up other devices" function today, and neither of those matches the QR code on the Emergency Kit I printed today. This is starting to sound like a bug.

• This is starting to sound like a bug.

That is possible, though my first suspicion would be that you've got two separate accounts. In order to best see what is happening 'under the hood' I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106260/iphone-reset-not-working#latest
    • Your forum username: unixdude

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• unixdude
    unixdude
    Community Member

Hi Ben. I sent two reports -- one from iOS and one from the Mac. They both referenced the thread and forum username. I only received one ticket #: [#WBG-66473-212]. I'll be interested to learn what you discover. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll take a look and get back to you via email. :)

ref: WBG-66473-212

This discussion has been closed.