autofill on cmd-\ like desktop app?

I'm trying out 1password x in Brave and I noticed that when I hit my usual autofill shortcut (cmd-) Instead of it just filling in the user/pass, I get the mini window with the current site selected. I then have to hit enter to get it to fill, then hit enter again to submit. In the desktop (mac) it just fills on cmd-\

Is this the way it's supposed to work?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

Hey @steve28!
    1Password X has a different keyboard shortcut than the regular 1Password extension - CMD+Shift+X. That is why when you press CMD+\ 1Password Mini shows up instead of the extension in your browser.

However, 1Password X usually shows up inside the username/password field and will suggest the correct login without you even invoking it with the keyboard shortcut. If it doesn't do that, when you focus on the username or password field with your mouse, you will see 1Password X's icon inside that field and you will be able to click it and select the appropriate login.

Here's a little info page about it with pictures that will help you get better acquainted with it: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Thanks @Yaron, however that doesn't completely address my question... in desktop it's two key presses to fill:

• cmd-\ (fills in user and pass)
    • return (submit)

In 1PasswordX, it seems I now need three:

• cmd-shft-x
    • return (fills in user and pass)
    • return (submit)

Sure, it has a menu that appears in the form field when the cursor is in it, but then I have to take my hand off the keyboard and click. Or:

• tab to the field
    • then use arrow keys to go to login
    • return to fill
    • then return again to submit.

To say it in a provocative way, it now takes at 50-100% more effort to use 1passwordX...

I hope I am missing something and this isn't by design.....right?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@steve28 – What you're doing sounds about right to me! For myself, I tend to click my Login in the 1Password X inline menu, then hit enter on my keyboard, but I understand wanting to use only keyboard shortcuts. Based on what you're describing, it sounds like you prefer our desktop-dependent 1Password extension over 1Password X, and that's totally fine. 1Password was originally designed with Linux users in mind since they didn't have the option to install one of our desktop apps. It's grown into something much bigger at this point, so we're always looking for ways to improve. Thank you for the valuable feedback! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steve28: Indeed, 1Password X also has good keyboard support (which I prefer -- and it sounds like maybe you do too). So from a username/password field, you should be able to press to open the menu, and then Enter to fill the selected Login item. But once desktop app integration (currently in beta) is complete, everyone will be able to use it with 1Password for Mac, and take advantage of the global keyboard shortcut the native app can use. It sounds like that might help your use case. :)

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

@brenty - yes I do like 1PX... and I am running the betas of both the 1PX and the desktop app... so all this means is that when have 1PX installed, hitting cmd-\ will work the same as cmd-shif-x? For me the former pulls up the mini window and the latter pulls up 1PX or am I misunderstanding and this is intended behavior?

Edit - feel free to move this over to the beta forum...

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@steve28 – As long as Desktop App Integration is set up properly, you'll be able to use the cmd - \ keyboard shortcut to invoke 1Password mini, which allows you to press enter to select a Login to fill on the current page. It won't be the same as cmd-shift-x – that opens the 1Password X pop-up. I believe Brenty was mentioning that with Desktop App Integration, you'd have the ability to use cmd-\ to fill since it integrates 1Password X with 1Password for Mac.

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member

Thanks @kaitlyn and @brenty - but I think my point is being missed...

On desktop cmd-\ actually just fills in the user/pass. Nothing else is required. Not extra click. nothing.

With 1PX installed... now, cmd-\ brings up the mini window with the (usually) correct item highlighted and now I have to hit return to fill.

My question is: why? why remove the auto-fill and add a step? Is there some technical limitation? Is it a bug? Someone getting keypress kickbacks?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steve28: Thank you for clarifying. Being a beta-only feature at present, it's unfinished. We'll keep working at it though. Thanks for your feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.