1Password Loggin on iOS Devices After a Restart

steve12
steve12
Community Member

I’m having difficultly (or don't understand) the login process on iOS devices after a restart (power-off).

I understanding for security reasons neither Touch ID or Face ID will not work the first time 1Password is launched after a device is restarted.

So after a restart, I enter my master password. Based on my vault setting, I expect 1Password to launch into my All Vaults > and the last screen used (e.g., Favorites, Categories, etc.).

However, in my case 1Password opens to All Vaults with a Create Login 1password.com (gray box). With one item below the gray box; it’s my 1Password Account (my name), my email address and my password.com.

I’m not really what the intent is here, I’ve already successfully entered my master password and accessed the the 1Password app. But, since it’s my only option, I tap (select) the 1Password Account and I’m immediately logged out of the app and taken back to the initial 1Password login screen.

I repeat through process 2 more times.

On the third time, after tapping my 1Password Account , I’m logged out of the app as before; however, this time my 1Password master password is populated into the Master Password box.

I can then click on the lock icon and the app opens to my All Vaults > Categories. This is the page I thought the app would display after I entered my master password the first time.

From this point forward, when I launch 1Password, the app opens directly to my All Vaults > and the last screen used (e.g., Categories, etc.).

1Password continues to function this way until I power-cycle my device. Then after the restart, I go through the process to log into my account 3-times before I gain access to my vaults.

This login sequence (log in 3-times) occurs on all of my iOS devices (iPhone 7, iPhone Xs and iPad).

If I’m doing something wrong or if there is a setting I need change so that it’s not necessary to login 3-times before I gain access to my vaults, please let me know.

Is this how the app is designed function? If so, why is it necessary?

I have attached a series of screenshots that lays-out the sequence (steps) it takes for me to log into 1Password after a device restart (power-cycle).

The page shown in Step 8 (Categories) is the page I would expect to see after I initially enter my master password and gain access the to my password vaults. It’s not clear to me when it’s requiring 3 logins to get there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.3.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@steve12 - I'm sorry for the trouble; that's quite strange behavior indeed. There is a setting for what 1Password will open to, you can find it in Settings > Vaults. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see "Always Open To", which can be set to "Last Used Vault," All Vaults, or any specific vaults. Would you mind checking what it's currently set to open to? Also, try changing it to something else temporarily, powering off your iPhone, and seeing if the problem persists on restart. Let me know what you discover.

• steve12
    steve12
    Community Member

Lars,

My current vault setting was "Always Open To: All Vaults". I changed the setting to "Always Open To: Private Vaults - name". After the device restarted, I successfully logged into 1Password on the first attempt. Afterward, I changed the vault setting back to my original setting "Always Open To: All Vaults". I again restated the device and logged into 1Password on the first attempt. Bottom line, by changing the vault setting, my login issue was resolved. Thank you for your help.

I do have one question. When I was experiencing login issues, when the app opened to the page in Step 2 (4 & 6 above), the page with a Create Login 1Password.com (in the gray box) with my 1Password Account (my name), etc. below the box. What is this page and its purpose?

Again, thank you for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@steve12 - hey, that's great. I had a feeling just giving that a little push might be all that was needed. What you're seeing in the screenshots above looks to be a prompt to save a login for 1password.com -- which shouldn't be present, but perhaps you were accessing 1password.com from within the built-in 1Browser, and things got "stuck" there? Stop me if I'm using too many fancy technical terms like "stuck." :lol: Seriously, I'm using language like that because I really am not sure how you could get into that state, but I'm glad to know that just resetting things by switching the Always Open To setting appears to have solved it. Keep an eye on things, and let us know if the problem recurs. If it does, we'll want to take a closer look. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.