Invalid barcode error when attempting to enable 2-factor authentication

lemonkey
lemonkey
Community Member

When I try to enable 2-factor authentication on my account via the website, the barcode shown in my profile details is unable to be scanned by ANY of my 2-factor authentication iOS apps. This includes:

• Google Authenticator
  • Microsoft Authenticator
  • LastPass Authenticator
  • Authy

Details of the error shown in some of these apps includes "The barcode 'onepassword://team-account/add?email=xxx&server=xxx&key=xxx" is not a valid authentication barcode.

I've been a user of 1password for a long time, including before version 7 came out. I recently setup a family subscription for my account as well.

Not sure if transitioning from the old 1password to version 7 in the past has something to do with it.

Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lemonkey!

I think you are scanning the wrong barcode. What I think you are scanning is your Setup Code, not your 2FA code. The Setup Code is a quick way to enter your 1Password account credentials in the app so you don't have to do this manually, but it has nothing to do with your 2FA configuration code.

Your 2FA code is only shown you when you first enable 2FA in your account, and is different from your Setup Code. Please see this guide to see how to enable 2FA for your 1Password account, including how to show the correct 2FA code.

This discussion has been closed.