How to delete 1Pass info on another computer I used with my barcode

jwatkins
jwatkins
Community Member

Hello, I scanned my Kit's barcode on my wife's computer. Now, every time we access 1Password, it shows all my private information. Is there a way to delete all the info on her computer? We tried deleting the app but when we reinstalled, all my info is back. This is on a Mac and a Family account. Thanks for any help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jwatkins! Welcome to the forum!

You can remove your account from the 1Password app under 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab. In that window, please select your account and click on the "-" button to remove it from the app.

Now you can add your wife's account to it from her Emergency Kit, so the correct accounts are in the correct place :)

• jwatkins
    jwatkins
    Community Member

Thank you! We will give that a try tonight.

• jwatkins
    jwatkins
    Community Member

@ag_ana As a follow up, how am I supposed to access my info on a random or friend's computer? If I scan my barcode, then do I do what you say above to make sure that computer doesn't continue to have access to all my info?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jwatkins,

If you want to access your account from a 1Password desktop app, then yes, that's the procedure to remove your account from the app. Otherwise, if you just want to access your data in a browser (which is probably what you want to do if you want to login from a friend's computer), you can go to your account login page and make sure you enable the This is a public or shared computer below the login form.

This way, when you log out, your login information won't be stored in the browser :)

• jwatkins
    jwatkins
    Community Member

Ah, great to know! Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @jwatkins! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• jwatkins
    jwatkins
    Community Member

@ag_ana This all worked really well, thanks so much. I have another question that maybe should be a different topic--please let me know if I should start a new thread. Basically, my wife and I are thinking the family plan might not be the best solution for us. We don't like that in order to access our info on another computer, we need the secret key. My understanding is that you don't need a secret key for an individual account. If this is true, we are thinking of both having individual accounts and just having the same login credentials saved for our shared accounts. Is this something users do?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jwatkins, I am very happy to hear things are working as expected now. :)

My understanding is that you don't need a secret key for an individual account.

This is not correct. Even with an individual account you have a Secret Key and you are prompted to use it. But this is necessary only when you want to login to a computer that is not yours, so hopefully that is not going to happen too often :) If you need to access your information on the go regularly, I recommend using 1Password on your mobile device instead, it will be more convenient.

Therefore it would not make much sense to switch to individual accounts in your case I think. It would not only be more expensive for two users, but by doing that you will also lose some features in your 1Password account (like item sharing, recovery capabilities etc).

We don't like that in order to access our info on another computer, we need the secret key.

This can indeed be inconvenient in some situations, however you have to know this is a very important step to protect your data.

This discussion has been closed.