Miss options 1 password 7

brian5542
brian5542
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,

i think miss 2 options in 1password 7

Minimize 1 password after copy the password is verry nice but i dont find the option.

1password 4 is possible the choose how mush digits and symbols is not possible in the 1 password 7

Thank You

Brian

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @brian5542! It's still early in the 1Password 7 beta, so there are more cool things yet to come. Minimizing on copy is likely to be in the more distant future, though. You can quickly copy items from mini by right clicking the item and clicking the copy icon next to the username or password menus in 1Password 7. Mini will get out of your way and remember the item you just used when you next open it making it a better choice for copying than the main app.

As for the password generator, the decision was made a while back to simplify it by limiting some of these options. This actually increases the randomness of your password since setting the number of digits and symbols limits the number of possible outcomes. That may change down the road, but we have no specific plans to do so now. A sufficiently long password generated using the current password generator in 1Password 7 will meet the requirements of the majority of sites and you can manually edit the password before copying it on the rare occasion it doesn't. :+1:

• brian5542
    brian5542
    Community Member

Hi Bundtkate,

i hope the old options and the new options come early on the new 1Password 7.

Thank You :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback, and participating in the beta! :)

• brian5542
    brian5542
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

thank you you to and all team.

I have begin use 1 password with my Mac 2009 - 2010 i think. I ave buy the license for the mac and Iphone.
    I start 2017 with windows. I dont use my Mac now. Only Windows 10 with Office 365.
    I want buy the license for 1password 7 for windows, after the beta.

Regards

Brian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of myself, Kate, and the rest of us here at AgileBits, you're welcome, but more importantly thanks for your support over the years. Have a great weekend! :)

• liakyh
    liakyh
    Community Member

@bundtkate I need to generate bank PINs that only accept digit. How can I do this without the options in the first post?

Is this feature ever coming back to 7? Otherwise thank goodness I used a trial before putting my family onto the 1Password service -- I might roll back to iP4 because of this alone..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@liakyh: It seems like an odd choice, to "roll back" for something you really only need to do once, but you're certainly free to do that.

We don't have plans to bring back manual selection of number of digits, etc., as that reduces entropy considerably, but we will be adding a PIN option to the new Windows app; and you can see -- and use -- the new design on our website already:

https://1password.com/password-generator/

Cheers! :)

• skywarpgold
    skywarpgold
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I'm really missing these options as well. There are specific Government sites that I log into for work that require specific amounts of letters, numbers, and special characters to be present. Additionally, these sites require the passwords to be changed ever 60 days, so I'm using this a lot. If we have to manage that manually now, that kind of defeats the purpose of the password generator...I could just randomly hit my keyboard a bunch of times for the same effect. Please reconsider bringing these options back.
    Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Specific amounts of digits/symbols is very uncommon, and doing that has a negative impact on the strength of the password due to decreased entropy, but we'll continue to evaluate things with feedback from all 1Password users. Thanks for letting us know more about your situation!

• skywarpgold
    skywarpgold
    Community Member

All I can say is that it's extremely commonplace in the private sector, for better or worse. Thanks for the consideration.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, it's definitely helpful to have that context. :)

• gmonath
    gmonath
    Community Member

Hi. Even though this discussion is a few months old, I would like to emphasize the wish to have the option to manually adjust the amounts of numbers/digits. I can not confirm your statement, brenty, that it is uncommon that a website requires a certain amount of numbers and digits, at least here in Germany / Europe. Sometimes even the digits are limited to a certain set and then you re-generate the password 50 times until the right mixture comes along. It was handy with the slider. Why not have this as an option and explain users e. g. in the generate password window that the securest way is to let the program generate the password without any restrictions, where possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! I can't say that I have ever heard of a website allowing some digits but not others before, but I can't say that I am entirely surprised either. I don't see how we can really "explain" these things in the UI, at least without cluttering it up with text that almost no one will read anyway. So I do think it's best that 1Password's UI guides users to do the secure thing, but we'll continue to evaluate what the right balance is as we listen to feedback from everyone, since we get to "experience" a wider range of websites and their behaviors that way too. :)

This discussion has been closed.