Keeping multiple versions of the same identity organized

pablovarela
pablovarela
Community Member

I'm using 1Password to manage my work passwords and my company uses a SSO solution that ends up causing me to have the same identity with three different usernames (username, DOMAIN\username and email-address) with the same password, taht I use to log to many different URLs. Right now I have many login items that have the specific login parameters that I need for that specific site and it works for login purposes but it has two main drawbacks:

• 1Password keeps telling me that I'm reusing my passwords which is not exactly true.
  • When I change my password in the SSO I need to change it in many different login items and it's a lot of work that I don't always do and thus I end up with outdated information.

Any ideas as to how to have these items organized?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10, latest iOS and MacOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @pablovarela

I don't have a perfect solution to offer here. Perhaps someone from our community will have some ideas and chime in. But I can make a couple of points:

1Password keeps telling me that I'm reusing my passwords which is not exactly true.

We do hope to build a mechanism whereby these associated logins can be marked such that 1Password does not flag them as duplicates. I can't make any specific promises at this stage, but that is a problem we hope to resolve.

When I change my password in the SSO I need to change it in many different login items and it's a lot of work that I don't always do and thus I end up with outdated information.

It is possible to search 1Password items by the password. That would give you a list of all of the login items that contain that password. Alternatively you could add a tag (maybe "SSO") to them so that they are easier to find and update. The fact that they have different usernames makes this more challenging... if they all had the same username you could likely consolidate them into a single login item and then only have one spot to update.

Ben

• pablovarela
    pablovarela
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Thanks, Ben:
    Looking forward to your non-specific promise :) and I'll take into consideration your tagging idea.
    In any case I think I might consolidate them into only three different login items. How would one do such a thing?

• @pablovarela

Each login item can have multiple website fields. To combine them you'd just take all of the website fields e.g. from all of the sites that use the DOMAIN\username format and add all of those website fields to one login item. Then delete all of the others. You'd then repeat this process for each of the other formats.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.