changed master password on 1 password 6 desktop app- still recognizes old MP

1pwuser31547
1pwuser31547
Community Member

new MP recognized on iOS apps, but desktop app still recognizes old MP (and does not recognize new one)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:changed master password on 1 password 6 desktop app- still recognizes old MP

Comments

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

new MP recognized on iOS apps, but desktop app still recognizes old MP (and does not recognize new one)

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

clarification: I am able to unlock 1 PW6 app on iMAC using old master password, but not the new MP that I created from the same 1 password 6 desktop app. If I want to print or transfer files to iMAC from 1PW6, only the old password is recognized.
    The iOS apps, however, can only be unlocked with new master password, as expected.
    please advise

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @1pwuser31547! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can I ask: did you recently create a 1password.com account, maybe using a different Master Password? Or did you change the Master Password on an existing 1Password setup?

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Hi Lars.
    I've had the same (only one) account for over a year. I changed the MP through the desktop app using the one and only MP that I've ever had. The new MP is recognized by the account but not the apps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@1pwuser31547 - ok, thanks. Given your response, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#BNN-32528-789]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @1pwuser31547 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: BNN-32528-789

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

I am also having this issue. My computer was wiped at the Apple store and I had to reset my master password. the MP works on the browser but is not recognized on the desktop application. I've deleted the desktop app and reinstalled but still not working. I've sent in a support request but haven't received a response. Could someone post what the steps are to reconcile this issue?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @nhobby! My guess without knowing more is that you have (or at least had) both standalone vaults and one (or more) 1password.com accounts. When you created the 1password.com account, you gave it a different Master Password than the one you had previously been using for your standalone data. Could that be the case?

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

I'm not sure what you mean by standalone vaults - i have one account with many vaults associated with that account. My account was not new but recovered when I started to reinstall it on the laptop in that process I created a new master password (I'm nearly certain that it was in fact the old one but i could be wrong).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nhobby - thanks for clarifying. If you're able to sign into your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com (or whatever your sign-in address is), and you don't have any standalone vaults, then this should be relatively easy. Open 1Password 7 and click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. This will delete all your data and the next time you restart, it will be as if you're a brand-new user. Click to sign into your account. Let me know if that doesn't work for you because of the change in Master Passwords.

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

Unfortunately not. I even tried uninstalling, deleting multiple times, still not accepting new MP.

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

actually i did not restart computer. Let me try again

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

Restarting did not help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nhobby - OK, thanks. Let's do this now:

1. Click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data one more time.
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Open Keychain Access in the Utilities folder, inside your Applications folder.
    4. In the top-right search bar, type com.agilebits
    5. Look for anything that ends in ".b5Credentials", select it and hit the delete key.
    6. Restart 1Password 7 for Mac and sign in using your existing Secret Key and new Master Password.

Let me know how that goes for you.

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

Here's the result. I've confirmed that the secret key i'm using is the one that the browser has stored.
    "The Secret Key for this email address should start with : A3-CW5QSJ.
    We were unable to verify your credentials. Please check and make sure your email address and Secret Key are correct."

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nhobby - thanks for the follow-up. When you said earlier that your account was "recovered," do you mean that you had an Administrator or Family Organizer of your 1password.com account help put you through this process? Or did you mean something else by "recovery?"

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

my administrator 'triggered' the recovery process for me to reset the MP (I assume this also means generating new secret key)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@nhobby - it does indeed. Did you complete the recovery? If so, did you print out or save your new Emergency Kit?

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

yes and all work on the 1pass browser.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@nhobby - what are the digits of the Secret Key that are listed on that new Emergency Kit (only the A3-XXXXXX digits, don't give me the actual key itself in this public forum)?

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

A3-Q9F262

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nhobby - OK. That's different from the Emergency Kit digits you gave me previously. That likely means your Mac is still expecting the older account details...which of course no longer work. The easiest way to change this would be to click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data in 1Password for Mac. When you restart 1Password, it will be as if you are a brand-new user. Click the option to sign into a 1password.com account, then choose the Sign in with a different account, as in this example:

Then scan the setup code from your existing Emergency Kit -- the one from which you got these most-recent digits you gave me. Let me know how that works for you.

• nhobby
    nhobby
    Community Member

Ok finally this worked. I had attempted to do this previously by cutting and pasting the secret key in and typing in the rest and this did not work for some reason. Scanning has resolved the issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nhobby - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Hi all.
    I want to review how multiple local vaults are unlocked.
    I understand that the MP for the primary vault (stand alone) unlocks the other secondary (standalone) vaults.
    How do I unlock only the secondary vaults (if they have a separate password)?

According to another forum moderator:
    "to unlock just a secondary vault, use the 1Password > Switch to Vault menu while 1Password is locked, and simply select the secondary vault you want to open."

I don't see this as an option in 1PW 7 (MAC) while the app is locked.

Thanks

• Hi @1pwuser31547

How do I unlock only the secondary vaults (if they have a separate password)?

You cannot. When 1Password is unlocked all vaults are unlocked. The way 1Password for Mac unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in, or other vaults exist
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

According to another forum moderator:

I'm not sure what context that would've been in, but that is not a feature of 1Password 7 for Mac.

Ben

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Hi Ben.
    This is the forum to which I'm referring: Unlocking primary vault also unlocks secondary vault? [yes; works as intended] May 2014

The context is having several local vaults and having a hierarchy of data accessible by different passwords.

"This is how 1Password has been designed. When we introduced multiple vaults, we wanted to make sure that you could access all of your information easily, without having to remember a multitude of Master Passwords. So, your primary vault holds the encryption keys for all your secondary vaults. This means that you will be able to switch from your primary vault to any secondary vault, so that you really do only have to remember one password. ;)

If you would like to access a secondary vault only, you can do so when 1Password is locked by using the 1Password menu > Switch to Vault. Enter that vault's Master Password, and 1Password will open just the secondary vault. To switch to any other vault will require that vault's Master Password."

In that forum, one of your colleagues stated that other secondary local vaults could be opened separately with their own password, independent of the primary local vault.

In creating another secondary local vault, what else would be the purpose of allowing a different password for that vault? Is it to be able to share that vault (lower hierarchy) with someone else?
    Would you be able to open that vault separately with its own password (from the MAC app)?

• @1pwuser31547

If you would like to access a secondary vault only [...]

That may have been true the version that was available in 2014, but hasn't been the case for some time.

Would you be able to open that vault separately with its own password (from the MAC app)?

Yes, if you were to make it your Primary vault (by starting over and then adding that vault first). Then that vault's Master Password would unlock all other vaults.

Ben

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

OK. So with the current version there is no way to separately unlock secondary vaults, independent of the primary vault.

Then, what is the purpose of having a password for other secondary vaults? What does that password do?
    Is it for vault protection during sync (LAN or cloud options) as it is the key for its encryption or does the primary vault master password serve that purpose even if syncing secondary vaults separately?

For example, if I wanted to sync a secondary vault via LAN and the primary vault via icloud, which password would encrypt the data during sync, the primary or secondary vault password?

Thanks!

• @1pwuser31547

OK. So with the current version there is no way to separately unlock secondary vaults, independent of the primary vault.

Correct.

Then, what is the purpose of having a password for other secondary vaults?

Legacy reasons that are largely no longer applicable today when using modern versions of 1Password.

Is it for vault protection during sync (LAN or cloud options) as it is the key for its encryption or does the primary vault master password serve that purpose even if syncing secondary vaults separately?

For example, if I wanted to sync a secondary vault via LAN and the primary vault via icloud, which password would encrypt the data during sync, the primary or secondary vault password?

For standalone vaults the Master Password of that vault is what is used in the encryption of the data in that vault.

Ben

• 1pwuser31547
    1pwuser31547
    Community Member

Ok.
    So to clarify, the Primary local vault contains the encryption key(s) for the secondary vault(s) but the specific password(s) for the secondary local vault(s) are used to encrypt the local vault data at rest.

During cloud sync the individual secondary vault password(s) along with the account secret key are the keys for encryption.
    Correct?

If syncing only with LAN is the Secret Key also used or does this account Secret Key only apply to cloud syncing?

Given all this, what are the consequences of forgetting/losing a secondary vault password but still knowing the primary vault password?
    Would it be that I would not be able to independently delete that secondary vault in the future, if desired ?

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.