When unlocking 1Password X, I prefer to copy/paste the complicated master password into 1P X.

When unlocking 1Password X, I prefer to copy/paste the complicated master password into 1P X. However, when I paste into the master password field, nothing happens. Sometimes if I am frustrated and paste a few times, it will paste all of them at the same time (which is of no use, obviously), but it never takes the single, correct password. I don't want to leave it unlocked for longer than 10 minutes so find my self constantly having to type this very long string. How can I fix this? (Please, do not lecture me about having the master password in my copy/paste buffer. Please.)

1Password Version: 1.16.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:copy password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peterdeep!

Can you please confirm what browser and browser version this is happening with?

However, when I paste into the master password field, nothing happens. Sometimes if I am frustrated and paste a few times, it will paste all of them at the same time

I am sorry, I am not sure I understood this: are you able to paste in the Master Password field at all or not? These two sentences seem to contradict each other, so it would be great if you could elaborate a little bit on this.

(Please, do not lecture me about having the master password in my copy/paste buffer. Please.)

Understood. As long as you know that this is a very bad thing to do, we will not lecture ;)

• peterdeep
    peterdeep
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

If I paste into the master password field ONCE, nothing happens. If I do it several times (command-V, command-V, over and over out of frustration that nothing happens) the password will be pasted several times, once for each attempt, in succession, but it will take a minute or so for it to appear. It does not appear quickly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@peterdeep:

Thank you for the clarification. I could not replicate this issue here: if I try to paste something in the Master Password field in 1Password X, the text is pasted immediately. If it takes a minute on your machine to paste things, I suspect the issue lies somewhere else.

What browser and browser version are you currently using? And do you see the same thing after rebooting your device?

• peterdeep
    peterdeep
    Community Member

Rebooting does not correct the problem.

Opera Version:63.0.3368.53
    Opera is up to date
    Update stream:Stable
    System:Mac OS X 10.14.6 64-bit
    Rate Opera
    Browser identification
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/76.0.3809.100 Safari/537.36 OPR/63.0.3368.53

• peterdeep
    peterdeep
    Community Member

I tested 1PX in both Chrome and Firefox and it behaves correctly. It appears to be an Opera problem, more specifically a problem with my Opera. :-(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@peterdeep:

Ah you are using Opera, I see. Thank you for clarifying. I have tested this on my installation of Opera and I could reproduce the pasting issue there. I wonder if this is because Opera doesn't support Chrome extensions directly, as they only work through the Chrome extensions addon for Opera.

This discussion has been closed.