Upgraded to 7, both from App Store and Standalone, and Can't Log In or Access Accounts

dczar
dczar
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Mac

After being a 1Password Mac native app user for 7+ years (no web account), I'm having my first major issue with the application.

Intending to upgrade to 1Password 7 and finally get a subscription, I downloaded 7 from the Mac App Store and bought an annual subscription. Immediately afterward, I could make no more progress. Here are the symptoms:

• With 1Password 7, my Master Password no longer opens the application
  • In attempting to look at Accounts under Preferences, the + and - are grayed out, and I'm not able to add or delete an account
  • I'm not able to point the application to my existing 1Password files/vault (in part because I can't log in)
  • With the Mac App store version, I was repeatedly getting some kind of error about the subscription.
  • So I then downloaded 7 directly from the website. Still can't log in.
  • Under the web-downloaded version, Under Preferences --> Accounts, when I click on the link that says "Your 1password account is in trial mode", I get this error message:

So in sum, I've upgraded, paid the $35 annual fee, and have no ability to access my existing passwords. All help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dczar
    dczar
    Community Member

Follow-up:

I found the .zip of my old 1Password app in my application folder. I unzipped it and started using the old app again -- it works fine. I deleted the new app. I don't see any reason to try to upgrade again, given that the new app doesn't work out of the box.

I think I'm now stuck with an annual subscription that is not necessary. Why is this so confusing and difficult?

• Hi @dczar

I'm really sorry to hear you had so much trouble upgrading. I can say that this isn't the typical experience. How did you sign up for your account? Did you do so within the 1Password 7 for Mac application, or through our website?

We'd really like to get this sorted out for you. Please let me know.

Ben

• dczar
    dczar
    Community Member

Hi Ben. I have not signed up for an account per se. What I did was to purchase a subscription via the version 7 application I downloaded from the Mac App store. But after I purchased it (through the iTunes purchase mechanism), it did not enable me to create an account -- instead giving me the above-referenced subscription error. I could not click on the plus or minus buttons in the app to create a new account. This was also true when I attempted to download the app directly from the website -- I clicked on the 'trial' link in the accounts window, but was given the error above about the credentials missing. Probably because I don't have an account and was unable to create one.

In that sense I never created a web account, or got the secret key or any other link or prompt to create an account.

• @dczar

But after I purchased it (through the iTunes purchase mechanism), it did not enable me to create an account

Could you please walk me through how you did that, and/or share with me what indication there is currently that you have a subscription? That shouldn't be possible. If you look in your Apple account using these instructions from Apple do you see an indication that you have a 1Password subscription?

View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support

In theory the only way to set up a subscription would be through a 1Password account. Without an account it shouldn't be possible to have a subscription.

Ben

• dczar
    dczar
    Community Member

Here you go Ben. I stopped the paid subscription after I couldn't access the application, but I should still have a trial subscription according the iTunes.

• Thanks @dczar. And just to be sure we're on the same page: when you look in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, there are no accounts listed there, correct? And there never were any through this entire process?

Ben

• dczar
    dczar
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

This is what I get when I look in Accounts for v6.8.8.

When I downloaded 7, there was an account in there from a different email address (my work address) that I couldn't edit, access or delete. I may have created an account with that address at some point in the last couple of years that I never used. The other account / email is not the one I used to purchase the subscription via iTunes.

• @dczar

I may have created an account with that address at some point in the last couple of years that I never used.

I see. I suspect that account being in 1Password 7 is what is giving us trouble here. I'd recommend deleting that account entirely, and also making sure you don't have any accounts under any other email addresses you use. You can do that here:

https://my.1password.com/support

Once complete I'd recommend signing up for a fresh account at https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan using a web browser. At the end of the signup process you should be prompted to print your Emergency Kit. Please do:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

This will have all of the details you'll need to access your account (once you fill in the Master Password which you'll choose as part of the signup process). Once complete then I'd recommend installing 1Password 7. You can scan the QR code from the Emergency Kit either using the on-screen scanner or camera in 1Password for Mac to add your account and migrate your data.

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.

Ben

• dczar
    dczar
    Community Member

Thank you Ben. I'll try that later this week and report back.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.