MAS Update Speed (& also) Lack of Info For Existing User Base

Ind3X
Ind3X
Community Member
edited September 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Hello

I've just learnt of the MAS version of 1P. I'm thinking about jumping on board while some form of discount is applied but would like to get an idea of the update speed of the MAS version first. With the non-MAS version an update / patched version can be pushed to the end user very quickly should a serious bug be discovered, for example. As far as I am aware, Apple requires developers to submit their app for review and approval before it becomes available to the end user, I am concerned this process will significantly slow down the process of getting fixes to users. How fast are MAS apps approved?

Also, have just read in another thread about a "deep discount" which was offered when the MAS version became available. I'm a little disappointed I did not receive an email notification of this, to my knowledge I have not opted out of any notifications from Agile. Was this news emailed to current users?

Thanks

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Ind3X wrote:

As far as I am aware, Apple requires developers to submit their app for review and approval before it becomes available to the end user

Yes, that's right.

How fast are MAS apps approved?

There is unfortunately no way for us to answer this, as there is no set timeframe. The approval can take days. We don't have any personal experience with this, yet, as 1Password 3.9 is our first MAS version.

Also, have just read in another thread about a "deep discount" which was offered when the MAS version became available. I'm a little disappointed I did not receive an email notification of this, to my knowledge I have not opted out of any notifications from Agile. Was this news emailed to current users?

No, it wasn't. I responded to you in the other thread:

I'm really sorry about that. We wanted to send out a newsletter, but doing that usually generates hundreds of responses. We were drowning in e-mail since Lion's and Safari 5.1's release and didn't want to keep even more folks waiting even longer for a response from us. What we should have done is sent out a broadcast from a "no-reply" e-mail address. That's not something we've done before, but it's definitely something we'll keep in mind next time. On a brighter note, the sale is still in effect!
  • Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    Thanks Nik. I saw your reply regarding the discount in the other thread. Based on what the OP had said I was under the impression i'd missed an even better discount than what is currently offered....

dbingham wrote:

I've been a LONG time user of 1Password and actually waited a while to jump on the MAS version because of all the negative reports floating around. Missed out on the short term deep discount because of it.

With regards to the MAS app approval turnaround, on one occasion I have waited 2 weeks for a critical fix to become available on the store from another developer, this was due to Apple, not the dev. It kind of put me off of using the MAS for my most important apps (which 1P is!!).

Will 1Password 4 for Mac be available from your own store or is this a full transition to the MAS? Albeit with ongoing support for the current 3.8
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    The last post I saw on the subject mentioned the team was strongly headed to the MAS only for version 4.0, but they also said the details were not set in stone at the moment. But that particular post was right after the MAS version came out.
  • Not set in stone? If there is a non MAS version of 1Password 4 i will be expecting a free licence.
  • What happens if you do decided to do a non MAS version, id be very upset since id rather have a non MAS version. Updates via MAS are just way too slow. 3.9 has had the same issues since release while the non is getting releases.
  • fisherbln
    fisherbln
    Community Member
    Mangoes wrote:

What happens if you do decided to do a non MAS version, id be very upset since id rather have a non MAS version. Updates via MAS are just way too slow. 3.9 has had the same issues since release while the non is getting releases.

+10000. I have been a 1password user since version 1. I have windows licenses, mac licenses, even bought 1password iOS before you made it free and then paid the higher starting price for 1password pro for iOS (before you lowered the price over 50%). I love the MAS, but not for your app. The updates need to be too frequent. Not to mention, you've now raised the price on there to $49.99 and I'm not paying that as an "upgrade" price for an inferior distribution system. I'll use 3.8.x until it stops working if you don't come up with another solution. Hopefully someone else will make a usable competing product by then or you'll do one of your now (in)famous we changed our mind on our policies and/or price again.
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2011
    Hi folks,

Just for clarity's sake:

As Nik mentioned, the app is still on sale in the MAS for a very substantial discount, and as Brenty mentioned, we do not plan to continue distribution of future versions of 1Password from our store.

Thanks!
    Ben
  • fisherbln
    fisherbln
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    bwoodruff wrote:

Hi folks,

Just for clarity's sake:

As Nik mentioned, the app is still on sale in the MAS for a very substantial discount, and as Brenty mentioned, we do not plan to continue distribution of future versions of 1Password from our store.

Thanks!
    Ben

Maybe you should pay closer attention. It shows that it is currently $49.99 on the MAS. See here :http://itunes.apple....443987910?mt=12

Assuming the price change was an accident, you should send an email to all your current license owners unless you plan on not giving them any "deal" on their next "upgrade".
  • I apologize, the sale just ended. The price change is not an accident.

I imagine we will have other sales in the future, but this one had been up for 3 weeks (21 days). I do not have details yet on what future promotions we might have, but keep an eye out for updates.
  • fisherbln
    fisherbln
    Community Member
    bwoodruff wrote:

I apologize, the sale just ended. The price change is not an accident.

I imagine we will have other sales in the future, but this one had been up for 3 weeks (21 days). I do not have details yet on what future promotions we might have, but keep an eye out for updates.

As everyone else has already stated, it would have been nice if you actually emailed your existing user base as you had done in the past. I imagine that nearly every one of your existing users is going to be pissed off they have to pay the full price rather than an upgrade price.
  • Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    Well this is effing great! Just came home from work and looked at the replies and have learnt that the 21 day sale has ended. Not only did I not get informed by Agile about the offer in the first instance, I now have to pay an upgrade price which is nearly double what I originally paid for the a full version a couple of years ago. AND, to top THAT off, I came asking questions yesterday and was told that the discount is still available, but the people in the know FAILED to mention that I only had a few hours left to get the price when you knew that the 21 day sale was due to end.

WTF? WHY ARE YOU NOT INFORMING YOUR CUSTOMERS?????

I mentioned I was a little disappointed yesterday, today I am thoroughly pissed off!
  • Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Brenty, I agree wholeheartedly with your reply, although mine would have been slightly shorter (2 words) to someone who doesn't have the courtesy to state a point without using profanities - there are children watching, you know.

On a wider point, throughout the past few difficult months all the support team have been incredibly professional in their replies and have responded to insulting (= immature) posts with equanimity. Much appreciated by the silent majority I suspect, thanks.
  • fisherbln
    fisherbln
    Community Member
    brenty wrote:

At any rate, this is ostensibly a thread about the pace of 1Password MAS updates. Let's try to stay on topic. :)

Then I'll stay on topic. I won't buy the MAS version because the MAS update speed is way too slow. Your current version has serious bugs and only those on the non-MAS store version are receiving updates. Thank god I didn't find your post about it being on sale until it was over or I'd be frustrated with a broken product right now. I will not purchase an MAS version of your product, but would happily pay even more for a non-MAS version.
  • Thanks for your input. :)
  • Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    brenty wrote:

Actually, Ind3X, I didn't know it had ended until I saw it in the store myself last night. I personally bought it on day one. 20$? How could I pass that up? I wasn't going to just wait around and hope that it would go even lower. I hate to say it, but you knew it was on sale, waited until it went up 5$, still didn't buy it at that price...

I hope we will do better in the future about notifying people when a sale starts, but I am not sure how even that would have helped you in this case, since you knew about it and still didn't buy it. Telling people when a sale is going to end really does kind of feel pushy, though ("Get it while you still can!" etc.) If you weren't ready to buy it at the introductory price, I am not sure we can go any lower than that. :(

How dare you STATE FACTUALLY what YOU ASSUME I have done? Are you serious?

I did not know about the update AT ALL, let alone an offer!!! That is the whole point. I happened to find out that a MAS version existed as I was browsing the MAS, a few minutes before I opened this thread. I then had queries about the MAS version which brought me to these forums. I also asked if an email was sent out to notify users and was advised that it was not!

With regards to your comment, "Telling people when a sale is going to end really does kind of feel pushy, though ("Get it while you still can!" etc.)"

This is COMPLETE RUBBISH, letting people know when the sale is going to end (right from the start) allows them time to make an informed decision, ask questions etc, with the aim of them satisfying their queries within a set time frame, 21 days is certainly not a rush deal. Helps if you tell existing customers about it to begin with though.

No doubt you run the promotion with some kind of heading such as, "for a limited time only" which is exactly a "Get it while you still can!" tactic, especially aimed at NEW users, no regard for long term users as you did not inform them that such deal existed!! I can't be sure though as (guess what), we were never emailed about the deal. Would be great if someone could confirm whether this was the case or not? Apologies if I am incorrect, but i'd wager that I am not.

brenty wrote:

No one had to pay full price, fisherbln. :(

Not you, not me, not anyone -- we all had a choice: Buy it or don't. While we could have done more to publicize the sale, we just don't do a lot of advertising and promotion. I know we tweeted and blogged, and I told my friends about it.

AGAIN, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BUY IT AT A DISCOUNT IF YOU DON'T TELL EXISTING CUSTOMERS ABOUT IT!!??

We're at version 3.8.x and you've not even informed current users (by email) that you plan on transitioning to the MAS for the next version. Seriously, don't you think that is kind of important????

I should not have to look on Twitter, Facebook or whatever other social network YOU use for announcements, I do not have an account on any of those sites but i'm pretty sure TO GET an account on ANY of those site one thing is globally consistent, no matter where you sign up, you need an EMAIL address. Actually, do people not need an email address to purchase your products? Well, I have purchased before so you have mine!!!

brenty wrote:

At any rate, this is ostensibly a thread about the pace of 1Password MAS updates. Let's try to stay on topic. :)

I opened the thread, and the subject regarding lack of information for existing customers was stated in the first post, by myself. The topic is VERY MUCH on point. I'll change the heading in a moment to make my secondary query about lack of information more prominent if it bothers you that much.
  • Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]*Changed thread topic from "MAS Update Speed" to "MAS Update Speed (& also) Lack of Info For Existing User Base"*[/font]
  • Agile, great work in upsetting all your customers. Even better work not listening to your customers.

When is 3.9 going to get some fixes that the 3.8 has seen? 3.9 has issues that need to fixed yet you fix 3.8. Why the hell would people want to buy the MAS version with this extremely slow turn around.

And for freaking sakes would of it had been so hard to send out an email.

Worst customer service ever.
  • shinratdr
    shinratdr
    Community Member
    I love all the complaints about being off topic, how most of these threads get shut down.

Really makes your passionate feedback feel valued, eh?

brenty wrote:

This is certainly not something that has upset 'all' of our customers.

Of course not! Just look at these awesome reviews! Those are some happy customers right there.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password/id443987910?mt=12

How long are you guys just going to gloss over all of these issues? What does it take to get it through your thick, stubborn skulls that the amount of formerly loyal customers who are now completely dismayed with your current direction and attitude is actually significant?
  • Jerm
    Jerm
    Community Member
    edited October 2011
    It is truly amazing to me how poorly 1Password's transition to the Mac App Store has been handled. I am another user who did not find out about the transition to the Mac App Store until the introductory pricing had expired. As an existing 3.8 user I am now faced with paying an exorbitant $50 upgrade fee if I want to move to version 3.9 (and later 4.0). A quick review of my inbox shows that I have received almost two dozen promotion emails from Agile over the years touting new products and additional features related 1Password. I simply don't understand why this major product transition was not communicated directly to your customers via the same method that several much less significant announcements were communicated.

As an existing customer this situation has me extremely frustrated.
  • kallemia
    kallemia
    Community Member
    I am looking RIGHT NOW, at an app store product (not competition - an editing product) and right at the top of the description on the app details page it states that the current promotional price is only good through Oct. 31, 2011. It would have been much smarter for Agile to have been at least as transparent as this in communicating pricing decisions.
  • adster
    adster
    Community Member
    I have to echo most of the emotions on this thread. I'm an existing customer, have been since 1P version 2. I didn't see the 1Password for MAS until this past weekend when I went snooping into the MAS and starting reading up about it. Apparently it was offered up for $20 several weeks ago, but existing customers were never notified of this and unless they read your blog or forums, would have never known about it.

I feel like this is a slap in the face to existing, PAYING customers. I understand that 4.0 will be MAS only, a lot of developers are moving to that (Pixelmator, anyone?), but give your existing customers time to upgrade. Do you know how many emails I get from Parallels informing me when they upgrade to a new version?
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    Agile could have managed the communication better but I also think that staying in the loop is
    something that we as individuals are responsible for. Computers are great communication tools
    as long as we're willing to extend a bit of effort.

One site I use to good effect is www.macappdeals.com. I've got it set to tell me about the latest bundles and
    deals available on the Mac App Store. So about every day I get an email that tells me the deals of the day and if
    i'm interested I consider a purchase.

There are other sites that do this as well like AppAdvice.com and appshopper.com. One of the things that Agile
    faces is running email campaigns. Too many emails and your unsubscribe numbers go up. There's always a
    healthy balance between informative and annoying.

I'd love for all Apple Stores to offer a "watch list" where you can be notified when an app goes on sale. Who doesn't
    like a deal?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    hmurchison wrote:
    www.macappdeals.com

Thanks good site just setup a RSS feed
  • adster
    adster
    Community Member
    brenty wrote:

I know. I am completely taking these statements out of context, but I think this sums up both sides of the argument. Personally, I am painfully aware of how much promotion Parallels does. They make awesome software, but between the countless emails in addition to the popups i get at least weekly within the app itself about the update I have already purchased and have been running since it was released makes me hypersensitive to the issue of sending out promotional emails.

Going forward we need to learn to manage communication better, but we simply can't change the past. What's done is done. If and when we run another promotion, we will have to try to do a better job of informing people.

Thank you, brenty, for responding. I intended to reference Parallels as an excuse for good communication (albeit excessive communication). The point is, I knew they had a new version and I knew it was on sale. They reminded me when the sale ended and that was that. (with 3452353 more emails thrown in just for good measure). I know you say "what's done is done" and you can't change the past, but here's what you can do: Drop the MAS price down to it's original sale price, $20. Send an email blast to your customers letting them know your plans (transition to the MAS, 4.0 with be MAS only, etc) and give a firm ending date to the sale, say Oct 15th. Then, send another email out right before the sale ended, and BAM - you're back in business and you "fixed" the past.

Just an idea, coming from a huge 1Password fan.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the suggestion, adster! We have a history of providing some pretty sweet deals around the time of a major upgrade, so while I can't promise anything, I would not be surprised to see a promotion around the release of 1Password 4. :-)
  • shinratdr
    shinratdr
    Community Member
    brenty wrote:
    Work is being done on the Mac App Store version of 1Password.

Dear god, I hope so. This is a given and not something that needs to be noted. It's also not a positive, it's a necessity. 1Password MAS users have been sold a product that inspires more frustration and aggravation than hope. If you said "Work isn't being done on the MAS version of 1Password" I would demand my money back and give up on you guys immediately without question.

brenty wrote:
    Work is also going into the browser extensions and the 'website version' of 1Password.

You're telling me, I have to kill off 1Password Helper almost every day because Universal Unlock breaks every single time between 1Password extension updates. At least the extension is improving, although it still drives me crazy and only half works.

brenty wrote:
    All of these efforts will benefit the MAS version in the long run.

Right, but during that long run (now officially over a month!) I have to use your broken application. Face it, the current balance is terrible. You need to push updates out to the MAS with a minimum goal of two weeks, max. None of these excuses make me feel any better about the current state of 1Password. You guys are just dancing around the problem. Hell, what you posted is barely a response to my concerns.
  • shinratdr
    shinratdr
    Community Member
    brenty wrote:

That seems unfair, considering I have just replied to you in a few of these threads.

Replies that achieve nothing don't make me feel any better and are akin to being ignored. That's all I'm getting from you guys. It has been over a month now, no new plans, no update for MAS users, no promises to restore features, same flippant reposes. Do you know the difference between companies that truly take feedback to heart and companies that "are taking it very seriously"? Action. So far, I've seen plenty of talk but zip in the way of actual results. You want me to feel like I'm being listened to? Fix something. Anything. Any one of the terrible decisions & regressions made in the last couple months, and push it out the door ASAP.

brenty wrote:

Do we lock duplicates, merge posts, and close 20+ page long threads that devolve into everyone repeating themselves (us too!) ad nauseum until (before, hopefully) things just get out of hand? Absolutely, and we will continue to do so.

Right, because THATS the problem. In fact, the AgileBits forums are always full of rambling rage. Oh wait, no they aren't. In fact, up until horrible decisions started being made a couple months ago in the gear up to the MAS, this was a relatively peaceful forum where posters felt respected and admins felt respected in kind.

Wonder what changed? Oh well, no sense trying to figure that out, we're off topic! Thread locked.

brenty wrote:

I don't feel like there is any need for you or anyone else to rehash your position in multiple duplicate threads, and we feel the same way about any other discussions (feature requests, bug reports, etc.) and try to keep things tidy wherever possible.

You would think so, eh? However in practice, nothing has been changed or fixed in over a month so clearly that is not the case. Knowing that, I will continue to make my opinion heard until it is actually taken into account, not just "taken very seriously" and then dismissed.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Fix something.

Okay, but we do ask for your patience since development, app store submission, and app store approval takes some time. We're working every day on the next update of 1Password 3.9. I wish I could somehow prove this to you before it is available in the Mac App Store, but it will be released as soon as it is ready for you to see for yourself.

That said, we have released myriad updates to the browser extension which benefit both 1Password 3.8 and 3.9. If you haven't been receiving these updates in your browser(s) that is something we need to investigate.

Also, the incremental updates we have released for 1Password 3.8 will be available in one larger update to 1Password 3.9. It's just a matter of release timing for the two different branches at this time. However, the work is being done, and you can check it out for yourself if you want to download the latest beta version:

http://agilebits.com/products/1Password/versions/betas

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  • shinratdr
    shinratdr
    Community Member
    edited October 2011
    khad wrote:

Okay, but we do ask for your patience since development, app store submission, and app store approval takes some time. We're working every day on the next update of 1Password 3.9.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that this is the crux of the problem. You shouldn't be working on it, it should have been finished and entered the approval queue already. 3.9.1 should have fixed the major bugs and regressions ASAP, not become a catch-all for every issue with 1Password MAS that takes a month to get out the door. You guys just aren't planning these updates out properly. Over a month and it hasn't even been submitted? TOO LONG.
  • mixture
    mixture
    Community Member
    shinratdr wrote:

Over a month and it hasn't even been submitted? TOO LONG.

Indeed.
This discussion has been closed.