Chrome asking to add 1P extension but it's already there

Been using just Safari and 1P on my MAC. Just added the !P extension on Chrome. But don't understand fully why something is happening. If I click on the 1P icon on the right of my Chrome browser it works fine. But if I click the 1P icon on my MAC toolbar it tells me to install the 1P Chrome extension -- but it is already installed. Confused! See attached screen shot.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password X
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: OS 10.14.5
Sync Type: ???

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @BenBob.

I'm not a 1Pass team member, but it's probably because you installed 1Password X (learn more about it), which is an extension that does not require the native app and thus, doesn't interact with it. In this case, you want the Browser Extension for the Mac App, which you can download from this page.

If you want to know what are the differences between the two, check out this useful thread.

I hope that helps! :)

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Thanks arturoaubry, I'll look into that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BenBob - arturoaubry is correct -- if you look in your screenshot at your Mac's menubar, the presence of the 1Password mini icon there means you have 1Password for Mac installed. But if you look in Chrome, the presence of a color 1Password icon (instead of black & white) means you definitely have 1Password X installed. We're moving toward Desktop App Integration in the future - and in fact, it is already here in the beta versions), so that's something to keep in mind/look forward to. But for now, if you want the full integration between browser extension and local 1Password for Mac app, install the regular ("desktop app required") extension. :)

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. Not sure I fully understand but I haven't had time to read up. Been busy but I'll eventually get around to it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries. We're here any time if you need us. :)

• ikre8
    ikre8
    Community Member

I'm having this same issue, but I've uninstalled the 1Password X from Chrome and still receive this install message window.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ikre8 - I'm sorry for the trouble! If you're seeing the message that was posted in the original post in this thread, it means you likely have your default browser in System Preferences > General set to Chrome, and you don't have the standard ("desktop app required") extension installed and you're trying to use Go & Fill from within the main 1Password application. What happens if you click chrome://extensions? Do you see any 1Password extensions installed and active there? If not, please visit our downloads page and grab a fresh copy of the 1Password extension (NOT 1Password X), and install it. Actually, let's try this: even if you DO see the standard 1Password extension in Chrome, uninstall it and download/install a fresh copy from the above link. Let me know how that works for you.

• zylum
    zylum
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. I've reinstalled the (desktop app required) extension several times, I've restarted chrome as well as the 1 Password desktop app and I'm still receiving this message. This started happening after a recent 1 Password update.

• zylum
    zylum
    Community Member

Follow up - it's working now after restarting my Mac.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zylum! I'm glad to hear a restart ended up resolving things. If the issue creeps back up, don't hesitate to reach back out. :)

• colloidaddedrarefy
    colloidaddedrarefy
    Community Member

If I'm intentionally using 1Password for Mac paired with 1PasswordX on Brave, is there a way to tell 1Password Mini that I don't want it to interact with Brave or advise me to download the regular extension?

The filling engine is so much better in 1PX, but to create a new login manually, or make a manual edit, I want to be able to jump in from the menubar with mini and the native app UI rather than being punted off to the website, and every time it advises me to add the "regular" extension. And there's no obvious way of saying, "I know, show me the same UI you would show me if I was in Finder right now."

• Hey @colloidaddedrarefy. If you install the beta of 1Password for Mac and of 1Password X, as referenced earlier in the thread, then you can turn on Desktop App Integration, so the two do communicate and not tell you you're missing the extension.

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/#to-integrate-with-1password-for-mac

Also, with 1Password X, you can right-click the toolbar icon and select "Save Login", if you're for some reason unable to save a login directly from the inline menu. Let me know if you have questions about any of this!

• jps99jps99
    jps99jps99
    Community Member

So incredibly frustrating. Do I need to uninstall 1password x and then install some 1Password for Mac? I cannot express my frustration over this strongly enough.

• jps99jps99
    jps99jps99
    Community Member

Also, since I had to sign up with 1password to comment here, and since a password for that was required, did 1password automatically save that password? This should be way more intuitive.

• @jps99jps99

You can use 1Password X or our companion app extension. Could you let us know more about the issues you are encountering?

• jps99jps99
    jps99jps99
    Community Member

I have the same problem as the people above. I have 1Password installed on my Macbook, but I also have the little 1Password icon at the top of my menu bar and when I click it, it asked if I want to install the Chrome browser extension, which I already have. I'm guessing I've done something wrong with an installation, but I really expected this all to be pretty seamless. And it is not.

• jps99jps99
    jps99jps99
    Community Member

And this is another good one. I have 1Password installed on my Mac. I'm pretty sure I just saw it tell me that if I have 1Password installed on my Mac, I don't need a 1Password extension for Safari. Guess what? Just went to Safari and was told I don't have 1Password installed.

• jps99jps99
    jps99jps99
    Community Member

OK. Disregard the above comment about Safari. I just went into preferences and I think figured it out.

• @jps99jps99

It sounds like a bit of confusion. No worries. The 1Password helper at the top of your screen in the menubar works with the companion app extension. If you have 1Password X installed, you should use its shortcut to bring up the on screen dialogue. Shift + Command + X. 1Password X does not communicate directly with 1Password 7. So 1Password 7 does not know about an extension being installed.

If you want you can switch to our companion app extension.

1. Disable 1Password X in the Chrome extension settings. No need to remove it.
    2. Download and install the companion app extension.

--

Due to the extensions' differences, you may first need to completely quit your browser and 1Password for communication to work properly.

1. Quit your browser.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
  • goofy5965
    goofy5965
    Community Member

Hi - I am also confused. Do I have to use the Mac app OR the browser extension - or can I use both?
    I keep getting a notification in the Mac app that I need to install the extension in Chrome, but it is already installed!

What is the companion app? I already have 1Password 7 installed.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021

@goofy5965

The Mac app. would be what most people use, and then they add-on of our browser extensions. There are two, the Companion App Extension (Renamed "Classic"), and 1Password X, know known as 1Password, in the Browser.

The notification is likely because you have 1Password 7 for the Mac and 1Password in the Browser installed. The extension does not communicate directly with the Mac app. You'll see that notification because the Mac app has no knowledge you have it installed.

Can you tell me the version of the extension you have installed?

• JoeCanada
    JoeCanada
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy I hope you don't mind me jumping in here but this might help @goofy5965

I found that the link to the browser extensions still references 1Password X at the top of the page and can be misleading. Scrolling down will reveal the link to https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/ which is what you're probably looking for.

With that said, I had this same issue! Do I get to jump in, in case this is a bug? I have the proper extension but attempting to use 1Password (menu bar or keyboard shortcut) doesn't work while using a browser. I have to switch focus to another app or the Finder to get a password copied to the clipboard. The images below show what I see: the first two are from the Chrome Store...

...while this is my version.

I've also tried re-installing and restarting Chrome with no success. All that's happened is I've lost the mini-icon in the browser.

• @JoeCanada

I do not mind at all. :chuffed: That's why I love this community. Each of us brings something to the table and each of us might see or interpret a question in a different way. Join in all you like.

• witbier
    witbier
    Community Member

I have the similar (perhaps the same) issue as original poster (OP). I've read through a number of comments (all the way through ag_MichaelC in March 2020), and the comments don't make sense to someone that doesn't understand the setup. It would be nice if I had the "for dummies" version of this. I just deleted a duplicate individual account to use my family account. Now 'm getting that same message as OP. I use Chrome on Mac - have most often used the extension (most of my 1password usage). I have 1password desktop for Mac installed, but I don't know if I really need it or use it for anything. Sometimes I go to it if I'm not in Chrome but that's rare. The real issue is now my browser extension is not working, providing this message. Also, when I click on the browser extension in the little tray to the right of the address bar, it gives me a drop down menu - I cannot discern between the choices listed. What is the difference between 1password extension and 1password - why are those choices there? I'd hope they are to conduct operations within the extension (look at my vault, look for credit cards, etc), but instead it seems fairly useless - am I missing something here?

Questions to @ag_tommy on your earlier comments:

The extension does not communicate directly with the Mac app. You'll see that notification because the Mac app has no knowledge >you have it installed.

Why does this matter to me? What can I do to cure this if it's a problem?

Thanks!

1password extension (desktop app required) 4.7.5.90
    1password desktop for Mac 7.8.2 (build #70802002) – released 2021-05-10
    Mac Catalina 10.15.7
    Chrome Version 90.0.4430.85 (Official Build) (x86_64)

• RalphGoers
    RalphGoers
    Community Member

I too am having issues. I've used 1Password on my Macs for years. Recently the 1Password 7 for Mac app was updated and ever since the Chrome plugin will no longer work. I just get the same popup as the OP even though the extension requiring the desktop app has always been installed. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times to no avail.

1Password extension (desktop app required) 4.7.5.90
    1Password 7 Version 7.8.1 (70801003) 1Password Store
    Mac Catalina 10.15.7
    Chrome Version 90.0.4430.212 (Official Build) (x86_64)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @witbier ,

The simple explanation is that we currently offer two different extensions. One is a standalone extension that does not (yet) connect to the desktop app and can only be activated by directly interacting with it inside the browser (So you can't click the 1Password icon in your Mac's menu bar where the clock is).

To activate it, click the grey puzzle icon on the top right corner of your Chrome, locate 1Password there and click on it to unlock it. Once it is unlocked you can start working in your browser and it will show up inside usernames/password fields automatically. You can learn more about it here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/

The other extension that we offer is 1Password Classic, which connects to the desktop app and works with it. It will allow you to use the icon in your Mac's menu bar but it will not show up inside usernames/password fields automatically. You can install it from here if you prefer that extension: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @RalphGoers ,

The issue you are experiencing is not the same as the one discussed here. You can try and resolve your issue by restarting 1Password and Chrome:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Chrome by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Chrome and test if it is working properly.

If it doesn't work, please open a new discussion here or send us an email with the details to support+extensions@1password.com :)

This discussion has been closed.