Some advice and small bugs in 1P Windows version

I have use 1P for more than 4 years, it's just so great. But since I transfer from iOS and Mac to Android and Windows, I meet some troubles. Here are them:
1. I can't choose how many letters and digits for a certain length password when I generate a new password, but it's working on Mac;
2. Some translations still need updates, for example, the default vault 'Personal' is not translated correctly in other language versions, like in Chinese version;
3. Could the icons or colors of tags be available for editing for better recognizing? Different types have their own icons like credit cards or logins, but tags do not have.
4. Could the name of types be available for editing? Like I want to store not only my driver license in 'Driver license' but also my other licenses, like language proves and lab certificates. At this time, I would like to rename it as licenses and certificates rather than Driver license.

I think most of them are UI things and translations. They are easier to fix.
Thanks so much for making such good software 1P, hope my advice can be saw!

1Password Version: 7.3.705
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1903
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• wuuyuu
    wuuyuu
    Community Member

Problems of 2,3&4 also appear in other platforms, like Android. Hope they can be fixed as well!~

• bundtkate
    edited September 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, @wuuyuu! I'm going to go a bit out of order here as some of these are a bit easier to cover than others. Starting with translations, some vault names will not be translated. That is to say, they will be left exactly as you entered them regardless of your language selection. Now, as you might have guessed, this should apply only to vaults that you've named – Personal (and Shared in 1Password Business, Teams and Families) are special as they have a default name which can and should be translated. You're correct that 1Password for Windows and Android aren't handling this properly right now. We're aware of it and working on getting it fixed up. :+1:

The password generator, on the other hand, isn't likely to change back to offering the option to set the number of digits and symbols. The password generator's job is to be as random as possible while also providing passwords websites find acceptable. In the past, the second prong of that task was accomplished by allowing you to set more specific recipes for your passwords. Today, it's done by designing the password generator to better generate acceptable passwords without asking you to limit its randomness by setting a recipe. The goal is not just to remove this option but to eliminate the need for it. This is a project that is ongoing, though, so if you find the generator isn't providing a good password under certain restrictions, let us know.

On the tags front, these are currently considered a textual element moreso than a visual one with an icon. They will show in your sidebar so that you can select one to limit your item list to items with a given tag, but they don't have any icons since they could, in theory, be just about anything. They're also searchable (tag:foo in 1Password for Windows). Is there something, in particular, you'd be looking to accomplish with a more visual element? Where are you seeing a tag displayed where you feel this would help – in your sidebar? In your item's details? Knowing a bit more about how this would help would help us consider possibilities for the future.

Finally, the categories. These aren't going to be editable. Categories are tied to their templates and the fields in the Driver License templates are very specifically tailored for that license as are the fields in other categories/templates. You can certainly add additional information to these items with custom fields, but the fields specific to a Driver License – like Restrictions, for example – are still going to be there. If you find you want to save something that doesn't quite fit into a particular category, a Secure Note is often a good choice and you can always link a Document item to that Secure Note with a photo of the license in question to help add context. It would be wonderful if we had a category for everything, but we feel that could quickly get overwhelming especially for those just getting started. We do know there is more folks want to save in 1Password than things that explicitly fit in these categories, though, and will continue to consider possible improvements that might make that easier to do without adding too much clutter. :chuffed:

ref: android-654, opw/opw#3997

• wuuyuu
    wuuyuu
    Community Member

Thanks for replying~
    1. Hope the translation things could be solved ASAP.
    2. And I understand your explanation about the generator. It's good.
    3&4. Actually, I hope that tags are editable and categories are editable is the same thing -- that I want to customize my own dividing ways. I know that you said categories are hard to be changed. And you advise using secure notes as an alternative. For me, making tags is another way. But the problem is that tags are not as visually friendly as categories, which is that categories have their own icons in the sidebar and default editable icons in specific items. But tags only have the same icon. I think maybe making tags more flexible to edit the name and upload icons is a better way for customizing users' own categories. As for 1Password default categories, maybe, as you said, to call them templates is better!
    Thanks so much!

• wuuyuu
    wuuyuu
    Community Member

@bundtkate Sorry for forgetting @ you.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wuuyuu,

Kate is away at the moment, so I hope you don't mind that I jump in here. :)

We are looking at ways to improve our categories/templates, but I do not have anything specific to share at this point. I will also make sure to pass your suggestion about tags to our team. :+1:

In addition to tags, you can also use Favourites to organise your items:

Organize with favorites and tags

It is another way to differentiate your items in the sidebar at the moment. If you have other questions, we are always ready to answer them. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.