Feature Request: Makes Favorites user specific

yippy3000
yippy3000
Community Member

Can you please make favorites user specific? When shared Vaults have half the items Stared because different people use different logins most often it makes the whole feature useless.

We have 100 people and about 900 shared passwords (consulting company with lots of shared test account logins for all of our customers) Project managers and support staff who might have access to Vaults for several projects get a sea of favorites at the top to wade through. Even within a single project/vault. The testers favorite the test accounts and the devs favorite the integration accounts half the Vault ends up favorited.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @yippy3000

I think having favorites be per-user instead of per-vault makes a lot of sense. The difficulty is primarily one of legacy and priorities. The favorites feature was built before many people were using 1Password to share data and so that concept wasn't a strong consideration when building favorites. Going back and changing how it works now will be a rather large undertaking as the framework will have to be added in underneath the existing UI. We just don't have anything right now to build upon for that sort of a shift. Each of the clients would have to be updated as well. Compared to the amount of time and effort required the level of customer feedback on this has been relatively low. That's not to say that we won't ever consider doing so, but we do have some other irons in the fire that need to be sorted before we can even really take a close look at it.

Certainly something to consider moving forward though.

Ben

• yippy3000
    yippy3000
    Community Member

Thank you.

I don't know if this would be easier or harder for you guys. But having two kinds of favorites, for the vault and for the user, might actually be desirable.

That way you could leave the existing favorites as is and add a new feature to store some against the user as well. Users would only see those favorites if they have updated and used them and in older clients only the vault favorites would show.

• That's definitely an interesting idea. I could see it causing some confusion, but maybe there are ways we can cut down on that. I'll share the thought with the development team. Thanks @yippy3000. :)

Ben

• natevancouver
    natevancouver
    Community Member

This is a +1 to have Favorites be per-user. In our Family account we didn’t realize that our starred Favorites were for everyone, and it led to a lot of confusion as I saw my wife’s favorites appear and un-starred them. Then she wondered where they went. >_<

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, that's a good reason for us to come up with a whole new way of doing this in the future. Hopefully we'll have an opportunity to come up with a better solution and implement it across all seven apps someday. :)

This discussion has been closed.