MacOS Performance GPU Usage

Options
DivideByZero
DivideByZero
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Mac

Hi There,

I have just started to observe some unusual behaviour with 1password 7.3 on OSX 10.14.5 related to GPU usage. I first noticed it after joining a new company and syncing my new team account (personal vault with 3 whole passwords - should be able to do the math on a napkin). Previously I only used a single personal vault, synced via DropBox (the only option back when I started in the v3 days - about 700 items). No browser extensions are active. The GPU does not seem to be doing allot but GPU memory allocation certainly right up towards the limit, power is being consumed at an impressive rate and the SMC feels the need to run the system fans a full speed until 1password is terminated.

I did a quick forum and google search and saw some postings back in 2014 but nothing related to current versions. Is this usual behaviour, will it subside?

1Password Version: 7.3 (70300020)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: DropBox and 1Password Teams

Comments

• Ben
    Options

I agree that certainly isn't ideal, @DivideByZero. While it is going to require a bit more than the back of a napkin it shouldn't be spiking your fans. :) When this is happening can you grab a process sample for us and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com? You can take a sample from Activity Monitor. Select 1Password, click the gear icon, and choose "Sample Process."

Please post the support ID you get back here. Thanks!

Ben

• DivideByZero
    DivideByZero
    Community Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thanks @Ben. I should have mentioned I use comically large napkins that resemble rolls of Viva but your point is well made ;) . I will grab a sample next time I see this behaviour as anything more than a transient spike.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DivideByZero - sounds good! :)

• EricS
    EricS
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Has there been any update on this? I just upgraded to 1Password 7, and immediately noticed that 1Password was preventing macOS from switching to the lower-power Intel graphics hardware on my MacBook Pro, even after having quit the application:

I like 1Password, but a password manager shouldn't be the cause of higher battery drain like this. Do you still need a process sample or have you been able to find a solution yet?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @EricS! Welcome to the forum!

Please send us a process sample to support+forum@agilebits.com so our developers can look at this.

Thank you!

• EricS
    EricS
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana done! The support ID is [#WVD-32461-612].

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! We'll take a look and get back to you there. :)

ref: WVD-32461-612

This discussion has been closed.