Family plan setup questions: 2FA, sync, accessing multiple accounts from same computer

Ashiado
Ashiado
Community Member

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up our family plan. Everything has gone fine so far, but I have a couple of questions.

1. My husband and I share a computer when we travel. If we are both part of the same family plan, is it possible for each of us to log into the 1P app and each (separately) access our own private vaults from this same computer (and from the same computer logon)??

2. With 1P v.7, we're currently syncing with 1password.com, but with 1P v.6 (which we just upgraded from), we were syncing via WLAN server. Do I understand correctly that the sync setup is either/or ?

3. I have setup 2FA for my 1P account (I am the family organizer). I haven't yet added other family members. Do I understand correctly that 2FA would need to get set up separately for each family member, assuming they wanted it? Or does the 2FA I set up apply to all family members? (Somehow it wouldn't make sense for the 2FA I set up to apply to others, but I just wanted to make sure..)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Possible to have some family members use 2FA and others not?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hello @Ashiado

My husband and I share a computer when we travel. If we are both part of the same family plan, is it possible for each of us to log into the 1P app and each (separately) access our own private vaults from this same computer (and from the same computer logon)??

From the same computer, yes, from the same computer logon, no. You can only connect 1Password to one account within the same family membership on each device. Separate system user accounts are considered separate devices, though. So while you can each access your own data on the same machine, you would have to use separate system accounts to do so.

With 1P v.7, we're currently syncing with 1password.com, but with 1P v.6 (which we just upgraded from), we were syncing via WLAN server. Do I understand correctly that the sync setup is either/or ?

1Password memberships use the 1Password service for syncing. Using the WLAN server would require storing your data outside of the membership which causes all sorts of issues on top of the difficulties the WLAN server introduces on its own. So yes, you won't be using that going forward.

I have setup 2FA for my 1P account (I am the family organizer). I haven't yet added other family members. Do I understand correctly that 2FA would need to get set up separately for each family member, assuming they wanted it?

Yep, that's correct. Each member of the family has their own account and they can do with it what they will. On that note, I would suggest picking at least one other person to also have Family Organizer status as they have access to recovery tools that can be useful in the case of someone losing access to their account.

• Ashiado
    Ashiado
    Community Member

Thanks, that's very helpful!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

You are most welcome @Ashiado. Happy to help. :)

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

@Ashiado Worth noting if you use the same computer log in, then if you use 1Password X, You can have 2 google chrome profiles on the same system log in with a different 1PW log in.

• While that is currently true, we'd recommend separate macOS user accounts for that purpose.

Ben

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

I have setup 2FA for my 1P account (I am the family organizer). I haven't yet added other family members. Do I understand correctly that 2FA would need to get set up separately for each family member, assuming they wanted it?

Yep, that's correct. Each member of the family has their own account and they can do with it what they will.

Just to be sure I understand, if I use 2FA and create a shared vault with a family member, the member can access the shared vault through 1P without using 2FA. Correct?

• Just to be sure I understand, if I use 2FA and create a shared vault with a family member, the member can access the shared vault through 1P without using 2FA. Correct?

They would only need 2FA if their account within the membership has 2FA enabled. 2FA is a per-account (rather than per-membership) setting. Does that make sense?

Ben

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Does that make sense?

Absolutely! Thanks, Ben.

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• litcameraction
    litcameraction
    Community Member

My family all work under the same user account on the house computer. For security purposes, software purposes, and the fact that I need to keep an eye on my kids browsing... I can think of dozens of reasons. I would like to ask if there will be a road map for the ability to have 4 "accounts" within a family organization logged on within the same User account on a Mac. I feel this is something that really needs to be looked into.

• Hi @litcameraction

I think for those same reasons separating each person into their own user account could be justified. For example, by having separate user accounts with separate passwords, you could more easily know which family member is visiting which sites. Additionally you could enforce per-account parental controls at the OS level. Apple has a guide on this here:

Set up parental controls on Mac - Apple Support

We've evaluated the possibility of adding multi-user support to the 1Password app itself. It isn't something that is currently on the roadmap, and unless there were a major shift in the landscape I wouldn't anticipate it being something we pursue. If you're unwilling/unable to utilize separate macOS user accounts then you may want to consider using the 1Password.com web app, instead of the native 1Password for Mac app.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.