How to reinstall 1Password extensions in Safari 11.1.2

I accidentally upgraded to Safari 13.0 - big mistake! I reinstalled MacOS 10.13.6 and now I'm back to Safari 11.1.2. I'm still using 1Password 6 and would like to reinstall the extension, but your site will only point me to a 1Password 7 upgrade, claiming that is the only thing that works with Safari. Not true! The extension was working fine with 11.1.2 - how can I get this extension back? For that matter, how about the 1Password 6 extensions for Firefox and Chrome that also disappeared? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GuitarBuilder! Welcome to the forum!

Apple discontinued the Safari Extensions Gallery, which was required to install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari.

From now on, Safari will only support Safari App Extensions like the one included in 1Password 7. Because of this change, you can no longer install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari.

Apple discontinued the Safari Extensions Gallery, which was required to install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari.

Those are still available as usual. If you reinstalled macOS, you will just have to install them again.

• GuitarBuilder
    GuitarBuilder
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. However, the Extensions Gallery does live on - it is right there in the Apple App Store; there's even a competitor password manager available! 1Password is nowhere to be seen in this one, BTW. If you meant by your answer that Apple wouldn't allow extensions for older Safari versions in the Gallery, that may be closer to reality.

I don't see v6 extensions for FireFox or Chrome - the site keeps pointing me to v7.

BTW - I've been a 1Password customer for a very, very long time and I can't tell you how upsetting it is to see you move to a subscription model. Adobe lost my business for going in this direction with Photoshop!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

Hi @GuitarBuilder

However, the Extensions Gallery does live on - it is right there in the Apple App Store

The App Store is a separate thing from the Safari Extension Gallery (the latter of which has been discontinued). The Mac App Store allows for the installation of apps which offer Safari App Extensions, including 1Password 7. The Safari Extension Gallery was used to install (now legacy) .safariextz-type extensions like what was used in 1Password 6 and prior. Apples and oranges. :)

The Safari Extensions Gallery for legacy extensions will no longer be available in September, 2019.

Source: https://developer.apple.com/safari/extensions/

I don't see v6 extensions for FireFox or Chrome - the site keeps pointing me to v7.

The extensions for Firefox and Chrome are the same for both 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Mac. It isn't a different download.

BTW - I've been a 1Password customer for a very, very long time and I can't tell you how upsetting it is to see you move to a subscription model. Adobe lost my business for going in this direction with Photoshop!

I'm sorry you feel that way. Membership is the way forward for 1Password. We're only able to offer a number of the highly demanded features that we do because of the membership model.

Ben

• madmac66
    madmac66
    Community Member

Hi GuitarBuilder. I'm with you every step in this matter. I too am rebuilding a system after performing a clean install. I have the 1password Safari extension that I recovered from a TimeMachine backup. Its located in your /UserFolder/Library/Safari/Extensions folder. However, even with this inserted into my new Library the extension will not show up in Safari 11.1.2 so there is obviously something other than the extension required. Maybe there is some phone-home code in Safari to prevent all extensions from working. That would be entirely Apple-like as they are far from a consumer-friendly entity anymore. They want to force its loyal customers into upgrading software/hardware/phones/etc when they don't need to.

Membership is the way forward for 1Password. We're only able to offer a number of the highly demanded features that we do because of the membership model.

Ben, I have to disagree with your comment. The only way for your business to survive is to take away features or options for your user? I highly doubt that. If its true then you have a weak and flawed business model. A business model that requires you to hold your customers to ransom is not capitalism, its totalianarism. Like GuitarBuilder, I tolerated Adobe's CC nonsense for a while but they lost my business after they proved they were only interested in my money. You see, the trouble with your subscription model is that there is absolutely no incentive for you to innovate or produce reliable software. You already have your customers money, why would you work hard to earn it. In Adobe's case, they went on a 5 year development cycle that used its customers a beta testing guinnea pigs. Buggy release after buggy release, that we were paying for. Maybe still are. If you don't stand behind your product enough to trust that I will want to keep paying for subsequent versions then your product isn't worth my money, or my loyalty. Thats the beauty of Capitalism and the free market. Theres always someone else ding exactly what you are. However unlike Adobe, my business doesn't run on 1Password, its easily replaceable. I sincerely hope you lose enough customers so you see the error of your ways.

• The only way for your business to survive is to take away features or options for your user? I highly doubt that. If its true then you have a weak and flawed business model.

I didn't say that at all. I said we're only able to offer some of the features that we offer because of memberships. :)

You see, the trouble with your subscription model is that there is absolutely no incentive for you to innovate or produce reliable software. You already have your customers money, why would you work hard to earn it.

I would argue the situation is just the opposite. With a license you are making a large up front commitment. With a membership you can opt to pay monthly and cancel at any time.

Ben

• Mike020
    Mike020
    Community Member

How about you guys stay on topic?
    I still have a perfect very powerful 2009 MacBook Pro 17" running Safari 11 without the 1Password extension.
    Actually, I can't find ANY browser under El Capitan to properly work with 1Passwortd :( I tried them all, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera, Safari, Chrome, Firefox... none of these work well with 1Password.
    Is 1Password helping Apple to get rid of 'old' machines? A good reason to abandon you guys.

This discussion has been closed.