To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrading to 1Password 7 with membership trial

Options
phil1844
phil1844
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Memberships

tl;dr: Upgraded to free trial of 1PW 7 membership from 1PW 6 license. Migrated database (Dropbox). But now I can't change plan to family, can't find my secret key, can't even add a new login manually. Incredibly frustrating!!!
I have been a 1 Password customer since its very early days. Today I finally convinced my wife to switch to 1PW, so I decided to bite the bullet and subscribe - to the family plan. Following the website instructions, I downloaded 1PW 7 & migrated my database (still on Dropbox). Then I tried to figure out how to add her on a family plan. But no matter what I do, I can't log into my account because I never had a secret key. All of the online "help" that I could find put me into an endless loop: need a secret key to find the secret key and log in to get the secret key. I can't even add a new login in 1PW 7 now, because trying to open my account (on the website or from the Safari extension - which also forces me to get 1PW 7 to keep) puts me back into that same loop - and the plus sign in 1PW 6 (which let me create a new login directly within my Mac app) seems to have disappeared. After all of this, I doubt that my wife will want to share a family plan anyway. But at this point I'm seriously considering dumping 1 PW entirely and changing to LastPass. I will certainly do so if I can't even find out how to get into my own account, and at this point I'm so frustrated and disappointed that I may well switch anyway.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:incredible upgrade frustrations

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phil1844: I'm sorry for the confusion. A Secret Key is part of a 1Password membership account. If you haven't signed up for a 1Password membership, you never had an account or Secret Key. It sounds like you were using the standalone 1Password app and syncing your data using Dropbox. If that's the case, you just need to use that same vault when setting up 1Password 7. From there, you can migrate to a 1Password membership and invite your family if you want to. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I really appreciate the prompt reply. But I'm still in the dark. Yes, as I stated & you confirmed, I was using a standalone app up to v.6. Following the instructions that I found online (at least to the best of my ability), today I downloaded and installed v.7 - which seems to have uninstalled v.6. During the installation I was prompted to identify my v.6 sync file (in Dropbox), then point to a Dropbox folder (which I created anew) for v.7. At that point I could open v.7 and see all of my previous data - although for the life of me I can't figure out how to create a new login from v.7 in the same way that the plus icon used to do in v.6, or even to get 1PW to autofill a login the way v6 used to do). Anyway, it what I did the same as using "the same vault when setting up 1Password 7?" If so, why can't I locate my secret key and log into my account? If not, what do I do now? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phil1844: Thanks for getting back to me! I don't have a lot to go on, but it sounds like you

1. purchased 1Password 6,
    2. were using it with an AgileKeychain vault syncing with Dropbox,
    3. installed 1Password 7,
    4. converted to the newer OPVault format (so you have that in Dropbox now instead),
    5. and are unable to add/edit data now because you don't have a membership or license for 1Password 7

From your description, it doesn't sound like you have a 1Password membership account, which would be why you can't find your Secret Key (you don't have one). But just to be sure, in 1Password, is all of your data in the Primary vault ("On this Mac") you're syncing with Dropbox currently? If so, there's no 1Password membership account involved with that, but you can follow this guide to sign up, migrate your data, and setup all of your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Then you'll have an Emergency Kit with a Secret Key, and you should be all set, but let me know if you have any questions along the way. :)

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    Options

Once again, I appreciate your prompt reply - outside of normal office hours, at that. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. Your summary of my problem is correct - all 5 points, plus the facts that I don't seem to have a membership account, that all of my data are in my Primary vault (although it displays as "Primary On Dropbox" in the upper left corner of the Mac app, not as "On this Mac"), and that I'm syncing with Dropbox. Today I downloaded and installed v. 7.3.2 of 1Password on my Macbook Air (13 inch, early 2014) running MacOS 10.14.6. I've tried to reinstall the 1PW Safari and Firefox extensions, but they require me to sign in with the secret key that I don't have - so I can't give you a version number for those. Is there any other information that I can provide?

I watched the video about moving my "existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" that you linked in both of your replies, but clearly I still don't understand something. My v.6 data already populates the v.7 Mac app, so I'm not sure what I still need to move. I assume, but am not sure, that once I can figure that our I will should be able to set up an account, which in turn seems to be required to install the browser extension and obtain my Secret Key (as part of an Emergency Kit). At least that's my hope, after spending the better part of today trying to figure this out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phil1844: Hey, I'm happy to help any way I can. Thanks for the additional details. :)

Let's focus on one thing at a time, as it sounds like you're installing 1Password X in your browser, which requires a 1Password membership account; so it would be good to start by migrating to a 1Password membership account first, and that will simplify things for you greatly. You've got your data in data in 1Password 7 already ("Primary On Dropbox"), so that's good. What needs to be done is

1. Sign up for the account
    2. Save your account's Emergency Kit (which will also include your Secret Key)
    3. Migrate your data to the account
    4. Sign into your account on all your devices
    5. Remove any old (Primary) vaults from your devices, so you have the same (account-only) setup everywhere

The guide I linked above will take you through all the steps to accomplish that, probably in less than 10 minutes; and if you have any questions along the way let me know. I'll be around. :)

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Steps 1-3 complete on my Mac. I see my old data in the Mac OS app and in my account at 1password.com. On both I see 2 vaults: private (with my data) and shared (empty so far), but no old vault. I don't see an "old (Primary) vault" in either place. Does this sound correct? (I haven't tried to update my iOS devices yet.)

Also, I am now able to sign into the 1PW Safari extension and use it to autofill logins using my data. However, I haven't been successful in Firefox. Firefox asks me to sign in, which I do successfully, but when I try to use the extension it loops back to the sign-in request.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks. Steps 1-3 complete on my Mac. I see my old data in the Mac OS app and in my account at 1password.com. On both I see 2 vaults: private (with my data) and shared (empty so far), but no old vault. I don't see an "old (Primary) vault" in either place. Does this sound correct? (I haven't tried to update my iOS devices yet.)

@phil1844: Yes! That sounds exactly right. :) :+1:

From there, following "Set up your other devices" at the end of the guide, that will give you instructions to make sure you're signed into your new account and remove any old (Primary) vault everywhere.

Also, I am now able to sign into the 1PW Safari extension and use it to autofill logins using my data. However, I haven't been successful in Firefox. Firefox asks me to sign in, which I do successfully, but when I try to use the extension it loops back to the sign-in request.

I'll start off by saying that I'd recommend using either 1Password X (which it intended to be used by itself, solely in the browser) or the 1Password desktop app/extension, not both, as that can cause some confusion. If you only use 1Password in your browser, 1Password X is probably the better choice. Otherwise the desktop app/extension combo will be more versatile for you.

That said, the Firefox issue could be a number of things. If you are resetting/clearing browser data and/or using private browsing, 1Password X won't be able to maintain your session and you'll need to sign in each time you want to use it. That will be less of an issue with the 1Password desktop extension since the app handles your account and its data. If you're still having trouble, let me know the Firefox version you're using, and any settings/extensions you've added there so I can test it.

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thanks. I'll try setting up other devices tomorrow using those instructions.

Tonight I've tried logging in on one banking site using 1Password X. In Firefox (69.0.1), 1PW offered to autofill until I clicked somewhere else on the screen. In Safari (13.0) there was no such offer. In either case, I couldn't see a way to force an autofill (as I could in 1PW 6). Does this exist?

In any case, I think that the desktop app and browser extensions might work better for me on my Mac, since I alternate between those two browsers in a single session. With the app/extensions I wouldn't have to sign into 1password.com on each browser, right? So I still would like to be able to use browser extensions, including Firefox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

Tonight I've tried logging in on one banking site using 1Password X. In Firefox (69.0.1), 1PW offered to autofill until I clicked somewhere else on the screen. In Safari (13.0) there was no such offer.

@phil1844: That's the confusion I was referring to: you're using something completely different in Safari versus Firefox. 1Password for Mac version 7 comes with the Safari App Extension built into it. That works identically to the companion 1Password desktop extension you can install in Firefox and other browsers:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

You can get it here:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

1Password X, which it sounds like you're using in Firefox currently, works very differently, because it cannot rely on the desktop app (it's designed for people who can't install the desktop app, like those using Linux, Chromebooks, or restricted work computers):

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

In either case, I couldn't see a way to force an autofill (as I could in 1PW 6). Does this exist?

I'm not sure what you mean by "force autofill", but you can either use the keyboard shortcut -- ⌘ \ -- or the 1Password toolbar button in the browser to select a login to fill.

In any case, I think that the desktop app and browser extensions might work better for me on my Mac, since I alternate between those two browsers in a single session. With the app/extensions I wouldn't have to sign into 1password.com on each browser, right? So I still would like to be able to use browser extensions, including Firefox.

Correct. That sounds like a good plan. The companion 1Password desktop extensions just talk to the 1Password app, so as long as you've setup 1Password for Mac with your account there won't be any further configuration required in the browser after installing the extension there, since the app does all the work. :)

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    Options

OK, then. I'll stick with the app/extensions in both browsers. (I didn't even understand about 1Password X until you explained it here.) I've downloaded the Firefox extension from the link that you provided, and a quick test seems to show it working fine.

Re autofill, I meant triggering 1PW to fill in the login fields when, for some reason, it doesn't do so automatically upon landing on that page. Tomorrow I'll try using the two techniques that you suggest and report if I have further problems. I'll also try updating my iOS dates as per your earlier advice. I assume that, if I have any further questions, I'll be able to add them to this thread.

For now I'm going to sign off. Thanks again for your prompt assistance and for sticking with me on this. Much appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK, then. I'll stick with the app/extensions in both browsers. (I didn't even understand about 1Password X until you explained it here.) I've downloaded the Firefox extension from the link that you provided, and a quick test seems to show it working fine.

@phil1844: Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. That keeps things consistent between browser for you, which I think is nice. :)

Re autofill, I meant triggering 1PW to fill in the login fields when, for some reason, it doesn't do so automatically upon landing on that page. Tomorrow I'll try using the two techniques that you suggest and report if I have further problems. I'll also try updating my iOS dates as per your earlier advice. I assume that, if I have any further questions, I'll be able to add them to this thread.

Sounds good. Definitely let me know the exact steps you're taking and what's happening if you're still running into trouble. Using a specific URL as an example would help us make sure we're talking about the same thing too.

For now I'm going to sign off. Thanks again for your prompt assistance and for sticking with me on this. Much appreciated!

You're very welcome! I'm sure I'll catch you tomorrow. :)

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. Next issue: I can't set up my 1PW app on my iPhone as per the instructions in the link that you sent yesterday. I do update my iPhone (and iPad) apps every time a new version is pushed through Apple's App Store, so I assume that I'm running the latest iOS version. (I don't know how to find a version number from the phone.). My iPhone is running iOS 12.4.1. I opened the 1PW app, clicked on '1Password Accounts' at the top, and clicked on 'Add Existing Account.' I added my new account by scanning the QR code in my Emergency Kit (although it took multiple tries to get the scan to work - no idea why, but another frustration). As per the instructions in your link, I chose 'Vault' from the menu bar. But then I didn't see any option to 'Switch to Vault' as per your linked instructions. The Vaults screen showed 'All Vaults' (3 vaults), then my family account with 'Private' and 'Shared' under it, then 'On Dropbox' with 'Primary' under it. Finally I see 'All Vaults' selected for 'Always open to,' then a 'Sync Additional Vault' option. If I click on 'All Vaults' at top of the Vaults screen, I see my Private and Shared vaults under my family account name, plus my Primary Vault under 'On Dropbox,' but no 'Switch to Vault' option. I do see that I can delete my Primary Vault, but I certainly don't want to do so without linking to my current data. What do I do now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phil1844: Sorry for the confusion there. It sounds like you're having trouble because you're trying to follow the Mac instructions ("Switch to Vault") on your iOS device.

First, an important question:

Do you already have all your data in your new 1Password membership account (you can confirm this by signing into https://start.1password.com in a web browser)?

If so, you just want to have only that account (with its Private and Shared vaults) setup in 1Password on all your devices. If you prefer, having your Emergency Kit, you can reset the app on any device and just sign into your account to accomplish this.

But on the iPhone, it sounds like you are almost there, and just need to follow the iOS instructions to setup 1Password there:

1. Sign in to your new account.
    2. Tap Settings > Vaults > Primary.
    3. Tap Delete Vault.

That should do it, but let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    Options

That worked - thanks! (Your instructions were slightly different than the steps in the linked page, with no 'Switch to Vault' option. Your steps were correct, and I have now successfully updated my iPhone. iPad next.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@phil1844: Awesome! I actually copied those instructions directly from that article, just to make sure we were both on the same page (pun sort of intended), but I'm glad to hear that you're all set. If you need anything else, just let me know. :chuffed:

• phil1844
    phil1844
    Community Member
    Options

You are correct. I was reading the Mac section, not the iOS section - which explains my latest confusion today. My bad!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries! I also wanted to double- and triple-check in case there was some typo or error, as that could be confusing for everyone else too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.