How do I get back to version 6 on Chrome?

Options
flibberty
flibberty
Community Member

I upgraded to Safari 13. 1Password disappeared.
I reinstalled it from Safari's list of extensions. It turned out to be 1Password 7.
I couldn't figure it out so asked a question in 1Password's support, which has been useful in the past.
They told me that 1Password 6 didn't work in Safari 13, and I had to pay to upgrade.
Why the hell didn't you warn us before we upgraded to Safari 13?
Anyway, I'm busy don't have time to work out how to use new software. Plus I don't like the subscription model.
So I decided to use Chrome instead (Yes, 1Password 6 is that important to me).
But Oh No!, Somehow my Chrome is also using 1Password 7!!! How did that happen?
Presumably 1Password 6 still works on Chrome, so how can I get it back? I NEED TO KNOW ASAP!!!
And while you're at it, is there a manual for 1Password 7, so I can study before I start to use it? (just in case I decide I should bite the bullet and consider upgrading?

1Password Version: 6/7
Extension Version: dunno
OS Version: latest
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How do I get back to version 6?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@flibberty - I'm sorry for the trouble and the confusion. We did make multiple announcements about the changes upcoming in Safari 13 (on our blog, in our Support pages, in a pinned thread here in the Mac category of this forum), but we knew these changes might still affect some users.

What's happened is this: in Safari 12, Apple introduced an entirely new format for extensions. The new format (Safari App Extensions) differs from the older .safariextz extensions we've all been accustomed to using for years, in that it is not a separate download/installation. Safari App Extensions are built right into the main application, and are installed automatically when you install the app. Safari Version 12 was transitional and allowed users to have both the older-style extensions (which are in use by 1Password 6 for Mac because that's what was current at the time) and the newer Safari App Extensions. But Safari 13 does not allow for the installation of the older-style extensions at all and (as you've noticed) actually removes all such older extensions when you upgrade from Safari 12 or earlier.

Because the newer version is part of the app with which it's associated and cannot be separately installed, what you actually did when you tried to "re-install it from Safari's list of extensions" is you installed the entire 1Password 7 for Mac app -- because that's the only way you can get the Safari extension for 1Password in Safari 13. That's also why Chrome is "now using 1Password 7" -- because you installed 1Password 7 for Mac. Look in your Applications folder, and you will see both version 6 and version 7, I'm guessing. Again, apologies for the confusion, but you're at a crossroads here: you can uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac and switch to Chrome or Firefox for your browsing/password management needs, or you can stick with Safari and upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, but you cannot use 1Password 6 for Mac with Safari 13, and you definitely should not try to use both version 6 and version 7 of 1Password for Mac. I'm happy to help you get squared away in either direction, so let me know what you'd like to do. For the record, we can't recommend users stick intentionally with an older version of 1Password that's not receiving development attention any longer. 1Password 6 for Mac has been in this legacy category since May of last year, over sixteen months ago. Our strong recommendation would be for you to, as you say, "bite the bullet" and upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac -- it will allow you to use any browser you wish, it's actively being developed and improved, and you won't have these compatibility issues. I'd also strongly consider a 1password.com membership, for many reasons, but that choice is up to you. Let me know which direction you'd like to go! :)

This discussion has been closed.