Chrome login popup - please stop appearing

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you might help me with a relatively minor "problem" I have with one of my 1Password installations. I use it on my work Windows 10 PC and find that when I'm logging into web sites in Chrome (perhaps other browsers too but I never use them) I unlock the browser extension and use it to log in to the site. Then, invariably, 1Password login window pops up! I then have to dismiss it every time. It seems to me that it serves no purpose other than to frustrate.

• Perhaps it's going to offer to update a password? Why? I've just used 1Password to login. I've changed nothing. There's nothing to update.
  • I've also just unlocked the browser extension by entering my master password. Why would I have to unlock anything again?

If someone could tell me how to stop this behaviour I'd be very grateful.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: N/A
Referrer: forum-search:Chrome login popup

Comments

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

Hi @Grantxw8,
    Are you using 1Password X or the regular extension?
    If you use 1Password X try to remove and reinstall it.

If it's the regular extension then I think you should create a diagnostics report and send it to the support team. You can see here how you can do so: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• This is most commonly the result of your browser's password saving feature still being turned on, @Grantxw8. 1Password and Chrome will get into a spat over who gets to fill and it can gum up the works in myriad different ways. I'd make sure that Chrome's password manager is disabled and also that you only have a single 1Password extension installed. This also sounds like it could be you using 1Password X to fill when you also installed the companion extension. Since your desktop app isn't unlocked, it doesn't know whether you've changed anything (it can read its own data while locked) so it asks to save out of caution. You only need a single 1Password extension – either the companion extension or 1Password X. Like having browser filling on, having both primarily serves to cause problems and isn't going to be helpful in any way. :+1:

• Grantxw8
    Grantxw8
    Community Member

Hi bundtkate,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've checked and can only see one 1Password extension installed looking at the menu bar.
    I've looked in the installed extensions list and can only see:

I like being a belt-and-braces guy so have both the Chrome password manager and 1Password working. I'll try turning the Chrome one off to see if it helps. Unfortunately I'm having some other issues with 1Password and am a little unsure that I want to leave the browser's own password manager off indefinitely.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Grantxw8,

Please let us know what other issues you have with 1Password, so we could understand what is going on. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Grantxw8
    Grantxw8
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

I emailed support on Saturday evening my time (Brisbane, Australia) and then again yesterday. So far I've had your bot suggest some reading. I'm hoping for a human response soon. I sent a diagnostic report generated by the tool you supply. The subject of the email was "1Password Diagnostics Report for Grant". It describes my failed attempt to reconcile an account held on my Mac (non-subscription edition of 1Password originally purchased as v3 then gradually upgraded to v6) with the subscription version I use on my Windows machine, iPhone and iPad. All I wanted was to get all these devices to have the same master password (as in "1 password") but I've ended up locked out of the Mac version and have deleted and reinstalled the app (v7 now). Even so, it won't allow me to sign in to my subscription account despite using the Emergency kit and using the master password that allows me to log in to all my other devices.

Anyway, I'm waiting patiently for a response (day 4 now). :-)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Grantxw8,

I found your emails on our side (thank you for including the subject line). Sorry for the delay with our replies.

I will take a closer look and get back to you via email soon. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: ECC-71144-779

• Grantxw8
    Grantxw8
    Community Member

Thanks Greg, I’m travelling for work for the next 2 days so no rush now. :)
    I’ll look forward to sorting things out when I return though. ;)

• I see you and Greg were able to get in touch, @Grantxw8, so I'll leave you in his capable hands. :chuffed:

• Grantxw8
    Grantxw8
    Community Member

FYI, I turned off the Chrome password manager and I’m still getting the pop ups.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Grantxw8: Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.