Unable to update 1Password

Options
Tallchap
Tallchap
Community Member

I am running 1Password Version 6.8.9 (689000) from the Mac App Store on macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6.

I get the following error message:

The operation couldn’t be completed. /Users/xxx/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/1Password_Autosubmit.scpt:140:156: execution error: System Events got an error: osascript is not allowed to send keystrokes. (1002)

I understand from the support forums that I should update 1Password.

I have checked for updates on the AppStore and via Apple>System Preferences. There are none available.

Again, reading the support forums I understand that I should be running 1Password version 7.

What should I do?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:unable to update 1password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tallchap - you should definitely be running the current version of all important security-related software on your Mac, including macOS, your browser(s) and 1Password. And yes, that means 1Password 7 for Mac. As a completely new, full-version upgrade, 1Password 7 for Mac requires either a 1password.com membership subscription OR the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version. Without one or the other, version 7 will be in Read Only mode, which means you won't be able to use the browser extensions, and you won't be able to add, delete or edit any data in 1Password.

To be clear, the problem you're experiencing isn't a function of version 6 vs 7, but rather a function of the fact that you likely still have "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" checked in 1Password > Preferences > Browsers. Auto-submit was removed in Safari 12 (and is therefore no longer available as an option in 1Password 7 for Mac), but if you're still using 1Password 6 for Mac, you can still enable that option...only now, it no longer does anything except throw that error message. So, just uncheck that box and you shouldn't see it any longer -- though you will have to press Return/Enter or click the "Login" button manually to submit your credentials after 1Password fills them. Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.