Disappointed 1Password 6 User

Options
Nogi
Nogi
Community Member

After a recent update to Safari today I can no longer use the 1Password Extension. I understand technology and products move on but your push towards a subscription model of this product is not for me.

I would much rather purchase a license that requires no subscription and a basic standalone program. I don't use half the features 1Password offers, I simply want a secure straightforward password manager that can auto fill/submit on webpages.

I have been looking at alternatives in the last hour and I can see a major player in this field offers a FREE alternative with basic options that users like me would require. I will not mention their name in such a forum out of respect, however I implore you to look at you pricing model as your subscription pricing does not offer value for money for me, and many others I would suggest.

I have been using 1Password for many years on Mac and iOS and would much prefer to stay but unless I am missing something my only option would be to pay a subscription to upgrade to version 7 which to me is unacceptable.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@Nogi

I would much rather purchase a license that requires no subscription and a basic standalone program.

Good news, then! We still sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac. To obtain one, you'll need to be running the version of 1Password 7 for Mac downloaded/installed from our website instead of the Mac App Store version. If you have the Mac App Store version, quit all running browsers, then uit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), and finally delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash. After that, visit our downloads page and grab a copy of the 1Password 7 for Mac installer you'll find there, and run it. When you re-open 1Password, everything should be as you left it, only now, you'll see a Read Only badge on all your items, in the upper-right corner of the main 1Password window. Click it, and that will bring up the Purchase Options window. You'll be able to click the link to buy a standalone license there:

They're currently on sale for $49.99, over 23% off the usual retail price of $64.99 -- though that's been the case for a while now, and I couldn't say how much longer it will continue to be true.

I have been looking at alternatives in the last hour and I can see a major player in this field offers a FREE alternative with basic options that users like me would require.

For sure -- and for that matter, there are alternatives in the password management space that are 100% free of any monetary cost to the user. We're pretty aware of the playing field we're on, and if any user's sole or even primary motivator is cost, we're not likely to be their choice -- and we're OK with that. 1Password is designed to be the best password manager we can make, not the cheapest. We don't sell any of your data such as your email address and we don't run ads, we've never had "alternative funding streams" like venture capital investors or a deep-pocketed corporate parent that could subsidize a lower price with "capital infusions." 100% of our revenue comes from the direct sale of 1Password to users, and we've found generally that many of them seem to prefer that we don't answer to outside investors or the like -- but instead only to you, the users, and to our own vision of what makes a great password manager that's priced sustainably so we can keep delivering best-in-class performance today and for the future. We'd love to have you with us, but if another solution better meets your needs, well, that's why there are multiple options out there: because no one solution is going to be the best fit for every potential user. As long as you're not re-using passwords or leaving them on sticky notes on your monitor, we'll be happy. Stay safe out there! :)

This discussion has been closed.